Some of our new calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
These are all out of 2 and 3-year old dams. We keep them seperated from the mature cow group.
SV_3-10_calves_winter_shot.jpg

SV_3-10_calves_U3X_13X.jpg

SV_3-10_T3X.jpg

I like your calves! What sire would they be out of? Would you happen to be the breeder of Simme Valley Macho As U? Sorry i'm new around here :D

Thanks.
Trevor - yes, Macho As U was bred & raised by us. He is my avatar. His daughters are awesome cows. The 1/2 blazed face black calf is a Macho granddaughter. She's sired by Dream On, out of a Beef Maker 2 yr old.
The heifer in the front of the 2nd pic is our flush cows embryo by Built Right.
The heifer in the 3rd pic is a granddaughter of our flush cow, by Trademark out of a Perfector 3 yr old.
(red tags are heifers & yellow tags are males)
The solid red bull calf is a Dream On out of a Beef Maker and the blaze face red bull calf is a Beef Maker out of a ScarletDream 2 yr old.
If you go to the Breeders Board, I have some calves pictured there. One of the front calves is a 60X and she is a Macho daughter.
Edit: "3-sided calf shed" - the 3rd pic, both calves on right are Macho As U daughters.

Thanks Jeanne. I saw Trademark once when i took a bull to get collected at Hearthstone Farm and met fella buy the name of Gary I believe. He had some real nice calves there. Don't know nuch about simmies but always like to learn. Used to A.I. for a guy and we bread alot of his cows to Nichols Black Destiny and I really liked those calves. Worked for Genex under Jon Janssen for awhile. Didn't really know him well but found his purchase of Dream On to be interesting story. So I don't mean to sound dumb but what exactly is the difference between a fullblood fleckveigh and black simmies? Why did simmies start to turn black? Not knocking it just wondering. :help:

The Simmental association has an open herd book. So any animal that a has a registered sire or dam can be registered as a half blood. You just keep breeding up until you get to 3/4 for cows and 7/8 for bulls and now you have a black or red PB simm. (I may be off on the percentages)

Fullblood Simmental or Fullblood Fleckvieh must have 5 generations of "fullblood" on both sides. The American Simmental (Purebred) has been bred up like Baldie Maker said. A 7/8 is now considered Purebred. We had black Simmentals clear back in 1970. We used Fullblood semen (Galant & Signal) and bred to the commercial cattle we had - blacks, BWF, Hereford, Shorthorn, etc. So we ALWAYS have had black Simmies. Just never bred to a black bull until about 10 years ago --- no - must be more like 15 years ago - wow - time flies. Anyway, they were black, but not necessarily GOOD bulls. Now, all of a sudden, we have almost all black cows. All our reds were the older cows that slowly got culled. So, we are in the process of building up our red population. We've been breeding all our Hetero Blk cows to red bulls or at least another Hetero Blk bull trying to get more reds. We had 18 possible red calves. Got about 12 - wahoo - but -- all, except the last one, were BULLS!!! Got 1 red heifer calf. bummer.

Wow I always assumed simmies were crossed on angus to make them black. Thanks for the history. Isn't that the way it always is. You want a heifer get a bull, want a bull get a heifer! Have you ever used any black angus bulls on your cows? if so which ones and how did they do? jw

Jeanne your calves all look stout and healthy and they for sure have hair like a bear. Looks like you are doing something right. Congrats on a great calf crop :clap:

trevorgreycattleco":2nqojqzm said:
Wow I always assumed simmies were crossed on angus to make them black. Thanks for the history. Isn't that the way it always is. You want a heifer get a bull, want a bull get a heifer! Have you ever used any black angus bulls on your cows? if so which ones and how did they do? jw

If they weren't crossed with Angus what made them black?

tncattle467":35yzr8sj said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":35yzr8sj said:
Fullblood Simmental or Fullblood Fleckvieh must have 5 generations of "fullblood" on both sides. The American Simmental (Purebred) has been bred up like Baldie Maker said. A 7/8 is now considered Purebred. We had black Simmentals clear back in 1970. We used Fullblood semen (Galant & Signal) and bred to the commercial cattle we had - blacks, BWF, Hereford, Shorthorn, etc. So we ALWAYS have had black Simmies. Just never bred to a black bull until about 10 years ago --- no - must be more like 15 years ago - wow - time flies. Anyway, they were black, but not necessarily GOOD bulls. Now, all of a sudden, we have almost all black cows. All our reds were the older cows that slowly got culled. So, we are in the process of building up our red population. We've been breeding all our Hetero Blk cows to red bulls or at least another Hetero Blk bull trying to get more reds. We had 18 possible red calves. Got about 12 - wahoo - but -- all, except the last one, were BULLS!!! Got 1 red heifer calf. bummer.

Why would you want more reds? They are looked upon with disdain in all areas of the cattle market. That is why I use only homozygous black bulls. If I had any reds I could not sell them cuz noone would buy them I would have to make hamburger or something out of all the reds.

It's back

Sorry you live where you live tnt. My red bulls always sell with or above my black ones. I have sold many red bulls with no problem. Good cattle r good cattle. So it's not all over the country, I live in ohio, it's hard to sell bulls of any color here and i have been doin just fine with red. The packer that processes my cattle for freezer beef has said from the beginning that all my steers red or black are doing great. Times r a changing.

Thanks guys/gals. We're real proud of our cattle. and yes, calves are really doing great. Calves "come out" all wooly & bear looking. That's what a cold climate does!
Lots of our black calves come out "gray-ish" or "brown-ish" - and most of them are heterozygous black. We just pulled samples for DNA on 9 head yesterday (some yearlings & some 2-yr). Some were done for our own breeding program purposes and some were done because they are going in a sale and we need to report if they are hetero or homo black.
Yes, the black COLOR comes from Angus.
No, we have never bred any of our cows to Angus bulls, although I have a 1/2 blood sired by Lemmons Finish Line. We bought her Purebred dam with heifer calf on side.
We get really good $$$$ for good red cattle. Remember, if it is in short supply, it becomes in higher demand. Also, remember we are talking purebred breeding stock.
All my steers either go direct to a feedlot buyer that buys our calves sight unseen, over our scales and doesn't care what color they are and some of them we retain ownership & put on Cornell's feedout program, selling them on the rail. Only time color comes into the picture for them, is if they sell as CAB. :banana:

tncattle467":xybdpydz said:
Why would you want more reds? They are looked upon with disdain in all areas of the cattle market. That is why I use only homozygous black bulls. If I had any reds I could not sell them cuz noone would buy them I would have to make hamburger or something out of all the reds.

I wonder why there are more red cattle than any other color worldwide? Must be because no one will buy them. :lol2: :lol2:

Latest posts