Some general spray questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":2hdmbt27 said:
greybeard":2hdmbt27 said:
Kingfisher, I've seen goat weed mowed in Aug/early sept and be right back up with seed heads before first real cool spell came along, and they're the same plants that were mowed--they grow all scraggly looking after mowing but they will grow. (not that a goatweed is ever very pleasant to look at even without mowing)

When I consider mowing as a weed control, I'm reminded of my yard. Mowed every 5 days, and completely full of weeds.

If mowing was the answer to getting rid of plants, all our lawns would have turned to bare dirt long ago.

I think you see some weed control benefits from bushhogging if you can time it out right before they bloom/seed. The main benefit is to control pink eye though.
Moved them into a field that was just mowed in the foreground.

Lazy M":1zat1r1z said:

I think you see some weed control benefits from bushhogging if you can time it out right before they bloom/seed. The main benefit is to control pink eye though.
Moved them into a field that was just mowed in the foreground.
Yep, but the weeds are still taking nutrients and moisture the grass should be utilizing, but the benefits of mowing in regards to pink eye is a definite plus too. I have mowed late in the season too, mostly to get any weeds my spraying missed. There needs to be a law of nature that all weeds come up at exactly the same time, regardless of species.
Whatever works, works--spray, mow, spray and mow, but if you have that much grass maturing, are you understocked or is it intentional to enhance the grass seedbank?

I zoomed your picture--that's some good looking cattle and in good condition. (I'm naturally partial to the red ones. ;-))

Was going to mow the field for hay but it's gotten so mature I think I'll just clip it high and let the cows have it.

Sprayed here when the back was pretty grown with weeds. I'd say they were 2-3 feet tall. Ended up having to spray them a second time a week later. They are now dead! Yay.

First spraying was mixed how the label recommended. Just used 24D. Second spraying i increased the rate 50%. Hit them pretty good. Been spot spraying the persistent stick weeds. Thistles at this size required a good spot spray. Then went downhill. Damn horse nettle is persistent as can be.

I mowed a section that was only sprayed once. Those weeds have came back at about 50%. The areas sprayed twice are almost clean.

late in the seasone fuel cost spray cost would wait clip befor ripe then start over spray in the spring with touch 28% n kill two birds one stone . spray with 28 % weeds an grass will jump then weeds die .

Latest posts