Some general spray questions

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
1. Things have just gotten away at my house. I finally got some pasture sprayed. Weeds are dieing, but I want to shred them. I normally spray when they are 4 to 6 inches tall. They just disentegrate and are gone. This year, they're pretty big, how long would you wait from application to shredding. They got a pimple faced kid working at the coop with an agronomy degree. He said 6 days.
2. If a chemical calls for being sprayed with 6 to 20 gallons of water per acre. Which one you think is better. I go with the 20, because with my homemade Jerry rigged set up, that 20 is about as low as I can go. I forgot to ask pimple piemen what he thought about that.

Read the label some chemicals and application are different. Grazon Next says
Grazing and Haying Restrictions: Do not harvest forage for hay
within 7 days of GrazonNext HL application. Cutting hay too soon after
spraying weeds can compromise the weed control. Wait 14 days prior
to cutting grass hay to allow for maximum herbicide activity.

I'm not an expert but 20 gallons gives better coverage. Most row crop farms use less just so they can run over more acres on a fill up. Here is what GrazoNext label says.
Ground Broadcast Application: Higher spray volumes (greater than
10 gallons per acre) generally provides better coverage and better control,
particularly in dense and/or tall foliage.

Some years it seems to take longer than others,Probably weather or soil condition.I'd wait until they are pretty much burnt down so the material gets into the root system :2cents: .That's only my guess.Maybe someone with a lot more knowledge will reply.

RiverHills":2lzsfxdc said:
Whatever you are spraying the bigger it gets or more stressed it is you have too up everything and wait longer.

Now that I think about it, I have sprayed weeds this tall. It was with a wand, and I poured it to em. They died ofcourse. I just mainly don't won't to look at these from now till fall. Plus, some of them still have my grass shaded.

I'd wait 10-14 days. With the rain you've been having those herbicides will work pretty quick. Better safe than sorry. And I agree, more water is usually better. I put out 17 gallons per acre.

kenny thomas":104g8orw said:
If there are briars mixed in I have been told not to cut them until the nest year.

With briars I like to mow then spray after regrow the starts. May not always be an option though.

I had a awful burn down last year on wheat. The co-op told me part of the problem was to much water. I was running 22 gallons the least that sprayer would do. If he really has a agronomy degree, I would go with 6 days. Wish I had one.

littletom":2vibd7qf said:
I had a awful burn down last year on wheat. The co-op told me part of the problem was to much water. I was running 22 gallons the least that sprayer would do. If he really has a agronomy degree, I would go with 6 days. Wish I had one.

I've got a degree in economics, and don't have 2 pennies to rub together.

JMJ Farms":1cn22ho3 said:
kenny thomas":1cn22ho3 said:
If there are briars mixed in I have been told not to cut them until the nest year.

With briars I like to mow then spray after regrow the starts. May not always be an option though.
I totally agree and most of the time that's what I do. A good friend always told me to sell the bush hog and buy more cows and spray whatever is leftover.

Bigfoot":1b0iisop said:
littletom":1b0iisop said:

Now Bigfoot. You poor mouthing worse than a row crop farmer :hide:

JMJ Farms":jz6ogbi2 said:
Bigfoot":jz6ogbi2 said:
littletom":jz6ogbi2 said:

I went to wedding Saturday. Mostly to try and catch some rice.

Bigfoot":3srq2nwr said:
JMJ Farms":3srq2nwr said:
Bigfoot":3srq2nwr said:

I went to wedding Saturday. Mostly to try and catch some rice.

My oh my. You'd have been SOL if they had been throwing bird seed :lol:

If you just want it to look right just mow it. Weeds don't grow in the fall. Mow it again and spray it. Start over in spring.

Kingfisher, I've seen goat weed mowed in Aug/early sept and be right back up with seed heads before first real cool spell came along, and they're the same plants that were mowed--they grow all scraggly looking after mowing but they will grow. (not that a goatweed is ever very pleasant to look at even without mowing)

greybeard":3rwvj6w1 said:
Kingfisher, I've seen goat weed mowed in Aug/early sept and be right back up with seed heads before first real cool spell came along, and they're the same plants that were mowed--they grow all scraggly looking after mowing but they will grow. (not that a goatweed is ever very pleasant to look at even without mowing)

When I consider mowing as a weed control, I'm reminded of my yard. Mowed every 5 days, and completely full of weeds.

kenny thomas":19c2yr23 said:
JMJ Farms":19c2yr23 said:
kenny thomas":19c2yr23 said:

I totally agree and most of the time that's what I do. A good friend always told me to sell the bush hog and buy more cows and spray whatever is leftover.

KT, thats exactly wha my plan has been. CBs advice, "everytime you start the tractor, youre spending money." I dont miss those long days mowing pasture either.

Latest posts