Some food for thought for beginners.

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie":n0ab9py4 said:
shaz":n0ab9py4 said:
I'll bet we'll find that regard for human life goes down as the population increases.

There are people providing central air for their dogs and cats. People pay megabucks for complete funeral services when old Fido kicks the bucket. There are pet mortuaries, tombstones - all of it. But we have starving veterans. Go figure.
I feel for veterans too but It's not your place or mine to tell others what to do with their money. I bought lunch for a vet Tuesday. A great man and friend... But if I or others want to bury Fido so be it. Got nothing to do with starving veterans.

TexasBred":1jvyi4ug said:
backhoeboogie":1jvyi4ug said:
shaz":1jvyi4ug said:
I'll bet we'll find that regard for human life goes down as the population increases.

There are people providing central air for their dogs and cats. People pay megabucks for complete funeral services when old Fido kicks the bucket. There are pet mortuaries, tombstones - all of it. But we have starving veterans. Go figure.
I feel for veterans too but It's not your place or mine to tell others what to do with their money. I bought lunch for a vet Tuesday. A great man and friend... But if I or others want to bury Fido so be it. Got nothing to do with starving veterans.

You're right. Its simply hard to me to comprehend the logic.

Reading books is a good first step towards becoming a brain surgeon, or a cattlemen, or clown or lumberjack. Best of luck in your studies and when you're ready and if I need it I'd be happy to have you operate on my brain.

angus9259; Is getting the grain into the hands of hungry people much different than getting it into the hands of non-hungry people? What are the steps involved, as you see it? Getting payment for the "free" stuff is the only difference I see. Am I missing something?

And please don't take any of this as evidence that I am in favor of giving grain to impoverished people, I'm not, except as emergency measures. I'd much prefer we "loan" them a pair of goats or hair sheep or even a pair of cows and teach the benefits of rotational grazing. Some would not get it as happens everywhere but many would. They can pay back the loan when their flocks and herds prosper. This is already being done by "the heifer project" and probably other charities.

Oh by the way angus 9259, when your professor said "heretics have all the easy answers", did it not occur to you that that generalization was itself an easy answer?
Tom Lasater said "Cattle ranching is easy, keeping it easy is the hard part."
I have found as I get older that, in fact, the solution to many problems is much easier than I first thought.

LCCattle":25lp6hmw said:
Some food for thought for beginners.

Red Mountain's 40 head, mostly Angus, graze on non-genetically modified grass, mostly kikuyu. They're given no steroids or antibiotics and live a pampered, stress-free life. When they reach the age of two and 1,000 pounds,
TWO years! That's if your lucky and you have grass or the river doesn't rise. Plus you are using grass that could be producing more new calves by increasing your herd size.
Grain fed can reach 1,000 lbs in one year.
IMO, grass-fed in not cost effective.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/local/ ... 45a5e.html

Erm Brazil produces lots of cheep grass fed beef, lots of others do too. Huge difference between economic systems when there is government hand outs involved, or the whole cost are not added up, or the best of grain fed is compared to the worst grass fed.

Grazing animals thus avoiding the use of machines is nearly always seen as the cheapest method of feeding ruminants. Unless you are trying to sell a machine, or fertiliser, or chemical, or a shed, or concrete, etc.

How long have we had grain fed beef? not very long, yet we have been eating beef for thousands of years.

I misquoted Tom Lasater. I quoted Mr. Lasater as saying cattle ranching is "easy". I'm pretty certain he said "simple". There is a huge difference and I apologize.

Latest posts