Some Crazy things that happend at Cattle shows

Help Support CattleToday:

funky 4-Her":1dn4gpgn said:
I hate when people do stuff just to make the animal look better, it doesn't inhance the value or anything...

My dad told me that when he used to show dairy calves as a kid that the only thing that was clipped was the head and neck, just to make them look a little cleaner but the topline had nothing done to it...

lol that just made me think of another thing I have heard about but not seen at the bigger shows... glueing (sp) paint bursh bristles on the top line where the animal is lacking to make them look stronger/better

I agree. We use so much paint, oil, and glue we cant even see the animal underneath. Just slick sheer the lot and leave it at that. If your not proud of what you got then don't show. We even have people who shave the cattles tail so that the butt will look bigger. Ever steer show ive seen at the local fair up here the judge carries a towl in his back pocket to wipe off his hands since he walks away blacker then the steers.

I showed a crazy angus heifer once. I knew she was nuts, and when we got to the show they had a ramp going into yards, and an unloading mound. The steward was being difficult and made us unload on the mound, because of the MN status. Anyway, she got about three metres with this big fella on the lead, then she took off. They went so quickly we lost sight of her. We caught up and found the bloke lying on the ground hanging onto his tender bits :lol: . The heifer did two laps of the racecourse, jumped the fence out of the showgrounds and went running down the road. She then jumped into someone's farm, so we went out there in the truck and asked the fella if we could load her. Turns out he only had sheep yards, but by that time she'd jumped into the neighbours place. We picked her up from there, brought her back (3 hours after we'd first arrived) and the steward said . . . "I think you'd better unload down the ramp into the yards" :lol:

Also had a cow flip a clipping frame onto the clipper one time.

Been mounted several times.

I think everyone that shows has been mounted at least one time or another.

We had a steer and a heifer get off, run around the showgrounds twice. We ended up having to get the campdrafting blokes to catch them. The steer full-on charged at me and my mate, we were trying to push him back into the sheds, and he just ran full pelt straight at us. That was quite scary.

At the Ekka this year, I was leading two of our heifers down a small path, that is pretty much on a 45 degree angle, had one of the heifers stand on my boot, which made me trip, both of them jumped over the top of me, so I was pretty much flat on my face, still holding onto these two heifers. Only ended up with a grazed knee(which went through my moleskin jeans - if you wear them, you'll know theyre quite thick) and a blood nose.(Hit the ground pretty hard, and it was cement)

Had a Droughtmaster heifer last year try to take off in the Grand Parade, it got over it, but then proceeded to try and mount a Charolais bull.

Somethings don't seem funny at the time, but when I look back, all those things make me laugh til my sides split now.

A friend recently told me about an incident at the Minnesota State Fair. Apparently a bull got loose during unloading, went running around the fairgrounds and tried to ram a red fire hydrant. Dropped him dead in a heap right there.

braunvieh":ebxigj09 said:
A friend recently told me about an incident at the Minnesota State Fair. Apparently a bull got loose during unloading, went running around the fairgrounds and tried to ram a red fire hydrant. Dropped him dead in a heap right there.

I heard about that too. I think there is even a video too. Sad.

braunvieh":3mac7zq2 said:
Holy Crow

Latest posts