Some Crazy things that happend at Cattle shows

Help Support CattleToday:

vs_cattle

Reaction score
Whats some of weirdest stuff you seen at cattle shows?

I will go first I seen a steer go crazy in the ring and I'm talking crazy not just a little were the exibiter could still hold on to the lead the steer took off out of the ring and went for a run it ended up in a girls bathroom I guess it just had to go lol :lol:

last year we had a steer jump the table at weigh in's and break a lady's foot.

The weirdest thing I've seen is this steer got spooked by a paper bag and he just took off running into the fair. Luckily the public wasn't let in for a few more hours. But he ended up over by the games and rides. He wanted to win a gold fish for one of the cute dairy heifers back at the barn ^_^

Last year my husband was "mounted" while bent over tying out. Said he didn't feel a thing... just saw two huge hooves come over his shoulders. I thought he was going to be crushed! I know this happens a lot.... but we have a REALLY gentle boy... thank God.

I didn't see this but I know it happened due to the fact that I was involved. But I went to unload my sisters heifer out of the trailer at county fair, well, she decided she wanted to run, as soon as she was on the ground, she took off running with me leading her. I ran with her for 50-60 feet, and finally let go when she started running even faster than what she'd reached. And I had a fear of falling and getting stepped on. Well, she went into the trees, and we had to chase her and got some help from the superintendant. I ended up with a hyperextended knee from the experience, but all in all, everything's okay now. And she was one of the best behaving at home!

I don't know about weird but along with Misty's post we have had a steer somehow get out of the alley way that goes to the scale, run through a little area where the weights are read, break a lady's hand and then end up 5 miles down the county road. It's kind of a funny thing...someone brings a horse to our spring weigh in every year becuase there is always a couple the end up down the road.

Other than that, nothing too weird. I've seen people try to use spray foam to get leg hair to stand...I've also seen people use Hocus Pocus to do the same thing. :help: :help:

I had a heifer up at a show one time, and she got spooked by the generators. (For those of you that don't know, Gerts are shown short-haired so I do not need generators and blowers). This was at a Block and Bridle, on the Mizzou campus. We finally caught up to her in some apartment complex when I wrapped the rope around a utility pole. Now, when I did that, she was so excited that she jumped and started to come down on me, but only ripped the cover of the electrical box that was on the bottom of the pole.
Needless to say that she ended up staying on the trailer that day.

Colorado2008":y6n4gg3c said:
I don't know about weird but along with Misty's post we have had a steer somehow get out of the alley way that goes to the scale, run through a little area where the weights are read, break a lady's hand and then end up 5 miles down the county road. It's kind of a funny thing...someone brings a horse to our spring weigh in every year becuase there is always a couple the end up down the road.

Other than that, nothing too weird. I've seen people try to use spray foam to get leg hair to stand...I've also seen people use Hocus Pocus to do the same thing. :help: :help:

Last year a girl had a calf who was really sucked in so she sprayed shaving cream into the holes, worked it in a little, then sprayed it with black paint.

cowgirl Ibara":2yjn5kbo said:
Colorado2008":2yjn5kbo said:

Last year a girl had a calf who was really sucked in so she sprayed shaving cream into the holes, worked it in a little, then sprayed it with black paint.

And then what happens when the judge lays his hand on that calf?!!!!!!! I can't imagine it not being really noticeable.

Wisteria Farms":2trczoqh said:
cowgirl Ibara":2trczoqh said:
Colorado2008":2trczoqh said:

And then what happens when the judge lays his hand on that calf?!!!!!!! I can't imagine it not being really noticeable.

Yeah really... why would you bring the calf in the first place if it sucked??
I haven't realy gone to that many shows and the ones I have gone to were small noone was too competitive.
I know for dairy calves, which is what I show... some people leave hair on the calf's belly to make them look deeper or leave a diamond patch in behind the shoulder to make them look fuller.
Oh, just thought of something else... I heard people talking about sticking something in the calf fromt he back to make it straighten it's back so it wasn't so swayed.

I hate when people do stuff just to make the animal look better, it doesn't inhance the value or anything...

My dad told me that when he used to show dairy calves as a kid that the only thing that was clipped was the head and neck, just to make them look a little cleaner but the topline had nothing done to it...

lol that just made me think of another thing I have heard about but not seen at the bigger shows... glueing (sp) paint bursh bristles on the top line where the animal is lacking to make them look stronger/better

funky 4-Her":348j81ym said:
Wisteria Farms":348j81ym said:
cowgirl Ibara":348j81ym said:
Colorado2008":348j81ym said:

Yeah really... why would you bring the calf in the first place if it sucked??
I haven't realy gone to that many shows and the ones I have gone to were small noone was too competitive.
I know for dairy calves, which is what I show... some people leave hair on the calf's belly to make them look deeper or leave a diamond patch in behind the shoulder to make them look fuller.
Oh, just thought of something else... I heard people talking about sticking something in the calf fromt he back to make it straighten it's back so it wasn't so swayed.
I'm not sure about sticking something in the calf from the back but everytime you first touch them on the belly with the show stick they'll raise their topline to be more straight. Same with touching their topline will get them to drop it. This all reminded me.... I saw something for the first time that CRACKED ME UP!! Some people we knew were showing this really nice Hereford bull "BoomBoom". Well, he started to dump a load right before going into the showring and the owner POKED HIM IN THE DUNG HOLE just like you'd poke somebody's eye out. That bull clinched his rear without leaving a drop of poo anywhere... I about died! Personally I think I'd rather go in with a little mess than do THAT!!!

This year at a my local show This lil boys steer got loose and ran all the way to Wal-mart which is about 5 miles on the road way. The lil boys daddy just walked up to him , grabbed the rope an put him in the trail to take him back to the show. Guess he now what was going to happen to him , once he was sold. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have seen a lot of crazy things over the years.

A steer in a groom chute goes nuts. Flips the chute over and breaks it neck. ( I had nightmares for weeks after that one.) Thank goodness it wasn't my calf.

Last year.... We had a girls steers go for a run after it walked out of the auction ring. Knocked the girl over face first on the concret drive way and the steer just ran right to the barn to where the other steer was that is had been with all year. This year my dairy steer tried mounting me quit a few times. But I felt him so I got out of the way. That is all really. We will have to see next year...

Latest posts