So this is what happened to Country Music.

Help Support CattleToday:

Makes me think about Geo Jones and his song Who's gonna fill their shoes. Lately I havent seen anyone that can.

Cal

I like Garth and Kenny, but I don''t listen to much Nashville Country anymore. I dedicate my listening time Texas Country.

Country music was in bad shape long before Garth came along. The 1970's and 1980's began with some cancerous artists that sounded too pop or urban. I never considered Kenny Rogers, Eddie Rabbit, Ronnie Milsap, John Conlee, and their ilk to be true country. Cheatin', drinking, prison, trains, lovin', story telling, rural life are all components of country songs. Singing with a convincing voice that makes you believe the singer has lived what he's singing about makes one a successful country artist. Of course, some have lived the subject matter of their songs. Today's artists are too slick and polished and know little, if anything of rural life. Tammy Wynette, Patsy Cline, Kitty Wells, Mother Maybelle Carter and her girls, Loretta Lynn, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Roy Acuff, Hank Snow, George Jones, Ray Price, Eddie Arnold, Lefty Frizzell and others made you feel what they were singing. Mother Maybelle, June, Helen, and Anita sounded like they were singing from the side of an Appalachian hillside whether they were at the Ryman or at Madison Square Garden. The likes of them and the others I named will never be seen or heard again.

john250":ea5quutw said:
My daughter just handed over my Christmas present.
22 More Hits -George Strait
And, she's making chocolate chip/pumpkin cookies.

Lucky you! I'm hoping to get that one.

From what I've read it's got his best songs that didnt make the 50 Number Ones album, even since he released that he's had 5 more.

George is the only real country left. I MUCH prefer the classic/traditional country to the new stuff, but dont mind the newish stuff either(Brooks & Dunn, Some Big & Rich is the only new stuff I listen to though). I dont mind Garth, but I consider him more rock than country now.

Long story short - George is Country. Well now anyway.

Other then shanwhina twain the only ones I automatically turn off is garth brooks

I used to make a living playing music out on the road, mostly country. I enjoy many different kinds of music. But one thing that is for sure, country music isn't country anymore. The artists that make the real thing are few and far between. And let me add a name to the "Garth Brooks" category that really makes me cringe, (okay, don't shoot!) Chris LeDoux. A fellow Wyoming boy and a good guy, but I just never did care for his music.

dun":184ubkfu said:
Other then shanwhina twain the only ones I automatically turn off is garth brooks

I automatically turn station when Shania Twain sings!! UGH
I don't like Garth Brooks, but I his new song is beautiful "More Than A Memory" It breaks my hearteverytime I hear it.

JT from your post can tell what space in time you have occupied.
Agree: I run my family crazy when they get into my truck with Hank, George, Tmmy don't forget Buck and ect.

Gretchen Wilson: Making 5 million Americans feel proud to be living in Trailer Parks. One at a time.

I look at country music as this. If The Andy Griffith Show was on the Fall line up as a new TV show, nobody except a few of us would watch it. It reminds us of a simpler time when life was different here.

Problem: Not near enough would watch it, thus no advertising revenues.2007 Remix:Show some cleavage, a few queers/ lesbians characters to the cast,some Foreigners and it would be a sucessful show.

The new listeners dont want to hear about doing time in Prison, working hard for a dollar, being proud, family, etc.

hillrancher":bghybzom said:
JT from your post can tell what space in time you have occupied.
Agree: I run my family crazy when they get into my truck with Hank, George, Tmmy don't forget Buck and ect.
Actually, my space in time began on New Year's Day 1962. However, several of the artists I mentioned were "hot" during my time. Others were singers that I know of and have bought their records. I've seen Johnny Cash and the Carter Family a few times and they were absolutley great. And, nobody, with the possible exception of Mr. Cash, could pen a song like Hank Williams. The man was a song writing goldmine.

Latest posts