So let’s hear it

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
Didn't want to hijack one of the other Covid threads but was thinking on a conversation my wife and I had the other day. What specifically could/ should have been done different on how this was handled. Not looking for a Trump bashing or praising. As much crap as he is taking he isn't alone in what was done and even when he didn't agree he did more or less follow CDC advice. Bear in mind we are Monday morning quarterbacking this thing now not on the field Sunday with a linebacker pulling on your jersey.

In my opinion I really do think it was handled as well as it could be for the most part. Could have shut down travel sooner maybe but again he caught crap for doing it as soon as he did. A lot of unknowns so they shut it down til they could figure some things out for themselves. Not having PPE stockpiled to some extent was not a good deal neither is relying on China for producing everything you need but that had to fail for us to see the error of our ways. Hopefully we remember that and fix it in the future as the next outbreak may be less forgiving.

A lot of finger pointing goes on but really could it have been done better when you get down to it? We are not a communist country so welding doors shut is not an option and hope nobody would be willing to give up that much freedom for any reason. So let's hear it, be specific and not political.

There would have been far fewer deaths if certain governors hadn't put Covid positive patients into nursing facilities.

Would have been handy if China had informed the world of the existence of the disease back in the fall of 2019 when it escaped from the government laboratory.

like you said we're a free country without constraints..worst thing the government can do ,is tell folks what they can't do..tell them we're taking your guns away ..only sells more... Americans don't want to be inconvenienced nowadays...majority don't want to live in fear either..we are free to live as we please .and that's hard to control..

MurraysMutts said:
When I first heard of it, I told my wife, the president needs to shut down all travel from out of country right now!
I mean right now.

But I'm never wrong.... lol
He did that..but once the cats outa the bag its to late...

ALACOWMAN said:
MurraysMutts said:
When I first heard of it, I told my wife, the president needs to shut down all travel from out of country right now!
I mean right now.

Yep. But I think we waited too long to do it.
Should a
Could a
Would a
And all that jazz

Actually my specific comment to wifey was...
Shut down all travel from China or Wuhan or whatever place the problem was starting.
I've always been a bit cautious tho

I've been called a lot worse...lol

I figured all it would have taken was about 30 45 days and all this would have been avoided.

Or at least we would've known more b4 it really hit us hard. Idk.

If we only had a crystal ball eh?

The travel ban was considered racist and xenophobic because it had no basis in science. At the time it was enacted, the virus had already gone beyond China. There were active cases in the US. Once the cows are out there's no point in closing the gate. The ban didn't protect anyone, it was just another way to thumb our nose at China.

The greatest failure from government was inconsistent messaging. Trump bears the brunt of that blame. He downplayed the threat, he told people it would just go away, he insisted that states lift restrictions, he refused to promote masks, he peddled fake cures, he refused to cancel his in-person rallies, etc. He led a lot of his fans into thinking the virus wasn't even real, or that it wasn't dangerous. Now that he's been proven wrong on that count, he's trying to gaslight them into thinking he handled it well from the beginning.

Sure, there is plenty of blame to go around. The CDC really botched the messaging on masks. State and local governments made some costly errors. But in the end, the blame for a dysfunctional ship falls on the captain. It's his job to provide clear leadership and structure.

So for all the grumbling, complaining and finger pointing that goes on and the advantage of 6 months to watch game tape all we really have is should of shut down travel earlier/ from more places and a more consistent message. On the more consistent message part it was a learning process and using piecemeal information from an unreliable source particularly in the beginning. I would say more of a keep your mouth shut until you know what your talking about would be the better approach.

My point being it was handled pretty darn well when you get down to it because there isn't a lot you can add or would do different. On the scale of what it is that's not a lot to change particularly when you consider you were dealing with an unknown at the time. Let's learn from our mistakes but as a whole I say we did ok.

Buck Randall said:
The travel ban was considered racist and xenophobic because it had no basis in science. At the time it was enacted, the virus had already gone beyond China. There were active cases in the US. Once the cows are out there's no point in closing the gate. The ban didn't protect anyone, it was just another way to thumb our nose at China.

The greatest failure from government was inconsistent messaging. Trump bears the brunt of that blame. He downplayed the threat, he told people it would just go away, he insisted that states lift restrictions, he refused to promote masks, he peddled fake cures, he refused to cancel his in-person rallies, etc. He led a lot of his fans into thinking the virus wasn't even real, or that it wasn't dangerous. Now that he's been proven wrong on that count, he's trying to gaslight them into thinking he handled it well from the beginning.

Sure, there is plenty of blame to go around. The CDC really botched the messaging on masks. State and local governments made some costly errors. But in the end, the blame for a dysfunctional ship falls on the captain. It's his job to provide clear leadership and structure.

May have been more cows behind the gate so always close it first til you see how many are missing. Secondly some of those statements were certainly false some were not and a lot based on information given by other sources. Easy to blame the captain but the night watch is who missed the iceberg. Gotta give the man credit for one thing he hasn't put down his bucket bailing water since we hit. Like him or not he ain't no quitter.

The US has given up control of critical medical items to source from low cost Asian suppliers. This is a strategic failure that should have been addressed well before before corona hit.

History has show that local lock downs work. Not sure how that should be managed across 50 states, but Feds could have done tried. Designated Survivor touched on this. :nod:

Common sense and 150 years of data say that masks work. Trump is just wrong.

The silver bullet vaccine talk is misleading. Has a vaccine eliminated the common flu and its effects?

SmokinM said:
Buck Randall said:

May have been more cows behind the gate so always close it first til you see how many are missing. Secondly some of those statements were certainly false some were not and a lot based on information given by other sources. Easy to blame the captain but the night watch is who missed the iceberg. Gotta give the man credit for one thing he hasn't put down his bucket bailing water since we hit. Like him or not he ain't no quitter.
The Captain was warned about the iceberg multiple times in his intelligence briefings in January, but he thought steering around the iceberg was going to be bad for the economy, something that he could not afford in an election year. He opted to gamble that the iceberg was small enough to power through. When that turned out to be wrong, he didn't change his tune, just blamed others and claimed nothing could have been done better. Sure, he's bailing water, but he needs to do it to save his own skin, so I can't give him too much credit for that.

When the next virus comes out are we going to put the whole country on welfare again?

Buck Randall said:
SmokinM said:
Buck Randall said:

The Captain was warned about the iceberg multiple times in his intelligence briefings in January, but he thought steering around the iceberg was going to be bad for the economy, something that he could not afford in an election year. He opted to gamble that the iceberg was small enough to power through. When that turned out to be wrong, he didn't change his tune, just blamed others and claimed nothing could have been done better. Sure, he's bailing water, but he needs to do it to save his own skin, so I can't give him too much credit for that.

Well with 200 million deaths (Biden's latest tally) I suppose it was a pretty big deal.

i thought we were going to discuss without the bashing but I guess I was wrong....

hard to do right when you have an entire national political party dedicated to creating your downfall....

pdfangus said:
i thought we were going to discuss without the bashing but I guess I was wrong....

had to do right when you have an entire national political party dedicated to creating your downfall....
couldnt please a liberal if you hung em with a new rope...

MurraysMutts said:
ALACOWMAN said:
MurraysMutts said:
I mean right now.

Yep. But I think we waited too long to do it.
Should a
Could a
Would a
And all that jazz

Actually my specific comment to wifey was...
Shut down all travel from China or Wuhan or whatever place the problem was starting.
I've always been a bit cautious tho
It was already here long before the shutdown..

Latest posts