So I started walking every day . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Eliminating sugar was a big part on me dropping 90 lbs after a total knee replacement... got me back to the weight I was when I graduated high school. Also, as part of rehab, we bought a stationary bike, and I'd ride that thing for 20 miles or so every night while watching TV.
Regular physician told me that if I lost weight, I could probably go off blood pressure meds... nope... didn't happen. Spent a month or so cataloging everything I ate and calculating sodium content - it's in EVERYTHING!!! - and got daily sodium intake down below 1500 mg/day... but that eliminated me eating ANYTHING I liked. Decided I'd rather take the pills and eat resonably.
Have kinda back-slid, and weight has crept back up some. Wife and I started walking daily about a month ago... I'm up to about 4 miles a day now, and back riding the stationary bike some.

Be aware that most fruits have a shyt-ton of sugar in 'em... wife had a friend who was trying to lose weight... she was eating a huge bowl of grapes, pears, etc., every day and couldn't figure out why she wasn't making any headway... 'cuz she was 'eating HEALTHY!' - but was probably ingesting 3-4 times the amount of sugar a normal person needs every day... and don't fall for that 'but it's "natural" sugar' deal. For the most part, sugar is sugar.
Summers, I have a hard time keeping weight down, due to all the apples, pears, blueberries, etc.

sstterry said:
callmefence said:
ALACOWMAN said:
Beer and high blood pressure don't mix..found out the hard way..

Beer and vodka don't mix....learned the hard way

Whiskey on beer, never fear. Beer on whiskey, very risky!
I heard it a little different: Whisky before beer have no fear, beer before whiskey is pretty risky.

14 years ago when I got a decent medical insurance policy locked down I finally went and had a physical and bloodwork done. As suspected I am type 2 diabetic, elevated BP, and low HDL. Total cholesterol wasn't high but borderline. A little medication puts that in good order, Diabetes is progressing but stable thanks to some expensive meds. Doctor wanted me to lose 50 lbs...

Last year the October bloodwork showed an elevated PSA. Antibiotics brought it down but as it turns out I also had an abscess. Had a biopsy a couple weeks ago which really knocked the wind out of me. Have to be careful how I get up out of a chair. BP today was 117/70 when I went to the dr. Almost can't function with it this low. Usually runs 130/90 ish. Thankfully no cancer....and I've only got 5 more pounds to loose. 😀

Lucky_P said:
Eliminating sugar was a big part on me dropping 90 lbs after a total knee replacement... got me back to the weight I was when I graduated high school. Also, as part of rehab, we bought a stationary bike, and I'd ride that thing for 20 miles or so every night while watching TV.
Regular physician told me that if I lost weight, I could probably go off blood pressure meds... nope... didn't happen. Spent a month or so cataloging everything I ate and calculating sodium content - it's in EVERYTHING!!! - and got daily sodium intake down below 1500 mg/day... but that eliminated me eating ANYTHING I liked. Decided I'd rather take the pills and eat resonably.
Have kinda back-slid, and weight has crept back up some. Wife and I started walking daily about a month ago... I'm up to about 4 miles a day now, and back riding the stationary bike some.

Be aware that most fruits have a shyt-ton of sugar in 'em... wife had a friend who was trying to lose weight... she was eating a huge bowl of grapes, pears, etc., every day and couldn't figure out why she wasn't making any headway... 'cuz she was 'eating HEALTHY!' - but was probably ingesting 3-4 times the amount of sugar a normal person needs every day... and don't fall for that 'but it's "natural" sugar' deal. For the most part, sugar is sugar.
Summers, I have a hard time keeping weight down, due to all the apples, pears, blueberries, etc.

The sugar free as well it's not false advertising but very deceptive at best. It is usually loaded with high fructose corn syrup.
You would be amazed at how much corn syrup were feed. In 1900 the average American consumed less than 20 lbs of sugar a year today it's a 100.
Sugar is sugar natural or manufactured at Imperial.

Caustic Burno said:
Lucky_P said:

The sugar free as well it's not false advertising but very deceptive at best. It is usually loaded with high fructose corn syrup.
You would be amazed at how much corn syrup were feed. In 1900 the average American consumed less than 20 lbs of sugar a year today it's a 100.
Sugar is sugar natural or manufactured at Imperial.

And we all remember back when the biggest culprit was fat? As it turns out, all of those 1960's studies were funded by the sugar and soda industry!

I have a group of four friends that we have all been tight for over 45 years. In the old days we used to discuss "conquests" and deep sea fishing (we make a trip about twice a year), then marriages and houses, then kids, and now it it is,grandkids (for one of us), medications, health and retirement! That is what this thread reminds me of!

sstterry said:
I have a group of four friends that we have all been tight for over 45 years. In the old days we used to discuss "conquests" and deep sea fishing (we make a trip about twice a year), then marriages and houses, then kids, and now it it is,grandkids (for one of us), medications, health and retirement! That is what this thread reminds me of!

Pipe down you!
I've got my first grandkid coming soon....
BAH hah hahahaha
I started wayyyyy too early. I ain't even near 50 yet

I had an episode thinking it was maybe a stroke when my eyes locked to the right and I literally couldn't move them. No slurred speech or any other signs but went to the ER and then they tried to say it was a seizure and wanted me to go on a seizure medicine.... but no one could find any real answers. So had to get a doctor for followup, and also went to a neurologist who didn't find anything.... but the new dr said that my blood pressure was a little high, and that I should start taking these meds, and that I needed all this other stuff. I refused the blood pressure meds.... had an ankle replacement in Feb and it went from 185/94 all the way down to 117/72.... with all the times I had checkups and such. I try to not overdo the sugar, and don't drink much soda. I do like ice cream.... but walking is not an option right now due to the very bad knees that need replacing next. However, all this said....
My chiropractor who said that the eye problem was a severely out of alignment spine that I went to him for awhile to get it back in alignment, and try to go for maintenance to keep it decent.... and my body has had some major abuse.... told me that the last time he recently went to some more updated/schooling... that they say take your age ; add 100 and that should be the top end of your top number and that your bottom number should be below half that. The formula is for people over 50 or so. He said that the numbers they have come out with nowadays are way too low for most seemingly normal healthy people. He did say that walking or MODERATE bike riding is better than running or alot of strenuous workouts.... weights will build muscle which will bring down actual BP numbers. Most everyone could due to lose a little weight, and as the joints ache more, the weight does creep up. That has been my problem with the ankle and now the knees. It just hurts too much to walk the pastures like I used to.
The Mennonite women here are big on the 10,000 steps a day to lose some then as your body gets more accustomed, to keep it in check.
If you are anywhere near a pool, that is the easiest on the joints, and it is great resistance as well as non-weight bearing stress on the knees, feet and hips.
And look at the Keto diets... with all the fats; that are considered healthy fats.... I have several friends that have incorporated just a few things into their diets from keto plans and have lost a little weight and toned up and have lost cravings for sweets that they used to have.
Yes, high-fructose corn syrup is worse than regular sugar.... the body processes it differently and you get alot more bad effects from it.... most of us ingest too much sugar.... but the refined high fructose kind is worse

sstterry said:

Life is short, I got married yesterday seems like and it was 48 years ago.
Like the orthopedic surgeon told me don't stop or sit down, the recliner will kill you. I fish, hunt and fish some more. You have to keep your mind and body active.

I've never had any health problems in my life but i don't work like i used to. Used to work really hard physically in the fruit growing business. Stacking tonnes of fruit evety day and walking miles. 14 to 16 hour days 6 to 7 days a week. But now i only work 10 to 12 hour days and although i walk a lot with my job it seems my heart must not be working because my fitness is poor. And so it seems my cholesterol has decided to climb. My dad went on statins and couldn't function. I really wanted to avoid that. So i cut out all the fat i could from my diet and to my shock my cholesterol went through the roof. Spoke to my dad and the same happened. They believe if you cut out fats in some people your body then jumps in and starts producing high cholesterol to make it up. Hmmm. I eat healthy so decided to cut out eating half a day, my problem is with young kids i don't want to not eat at night when we all sit down together and make an issue of it. So i don't eat until lunch, have a light lunch and then a normal tea at night. I really thought I'd struggle and lack energy but no such problems at all, in fact felt better. I think the key is i am busy so don't have time to think about it and also make sure i don't have access to food. So the weight started peeling off and in four months my cholesterol returned to near normal. I think everyone has to find what works for them.

As for natural vs manufactured sugar, yes sugar is sugar but refined sugar is worse than unrefined and although an apple contains sugar, les than a biscuit, you can't eat ten apples because of the amount of bulk and fibre but you can eat ten biscuits. That's the key to a healthy eating approach with sugar.

Rafter S said:
I started walking every day about a week and a half ago, and haven't missed any days yet. I started at 1 mile per day, then increased it too soon and got blisters (I probably need better shoes), so went back down to 1 mile for a few days, then up to 1-1/2 miles for a few days, and did 2 miles yesterday. I'm not sure what length to work up to; maybe 3 miles per day? Anyway, I'm enjoying it, and will enjoy it even more when the weather cools down so I don't get home drenched in sweat.
Pay more attention to the time you walk, not just the distance.
One program I am familiar with is start by walking 15 minutes every other day the first week.
The second week add another 5 minutes every other day.
Work up until you are walking an hour every other day.
This is part of the program from "The Y's Way to a Healthy Back".

Ryder said:
Rafter S said:
I started walking every day about a week and a half ago, and haven't missed any days yet. I started at 1 mile per day, then increased it too soon and got blisters (I probably need better shoes), so went back down to 1 mile for a few days, then up to 1-1/2 miles for a few days, and did 2 miles yesterday. I'm not sure what length to work up to; maybe 3 miles per day? Anyway, I'm enjoying it, and will enjoy it even more when the weather cools down so I don't get home drenched in sweat.
Pay more attention to the time you walk, not just the distance.
One program I am familiar with is start by walking 15 minutes every other day the first week.
The second week add another 5 minutes every other day.
Work up until you are walking an hour every other day.
This is part of the program from "The Y's Way to a Healthy Back".

I got an app yesterday that tracks time and distance. I did two miles in a little over 40 minutes.

By the way, the day before I had counted steps to estimate the mile distance to walk there and back. I figured my steps at 30" each, so every two steps was 5', which made the math pretty easy (even for me). According to the app my counting steps method was about 60' short. I guess I need to get my feet re-calibrated.

Rafter S said:
I got an app yesterday that tracks time and distance. I did two miles in a little over 40 minutes.

By the way, the day before I had counted steps to estimate the mile distance to walk there and back. I figured my steps at 30" each, so every two steps was 5', which made the math pretty easy (even for me). According to the app my counting steps method was about 60' short. I guess I need to get my feet re-calibrated.

Just do a "re-boot" on your feet. :tiphat:

1982vett said:
14 years ago when I got a decent medical insurance policy locked down I finally went and had a physical and bloodwork done. As suspected I am type 2 diabetic, elevated BP, and low HDL. Total cholesterol wasn't high but borderline. A little medication puts that in good order, Diabetes is progressing but stable thanks to some expensive meds. Doctor wanted me to lose 50 lbs...

Last year the October bloodwork showed an elevated PSA. Antibiotics brought it down but as it turns out I also had an abscess. Had a biopsy a couple weeks ago which really knocked the wind out of me. Have to be careful how I get up out of a chair. BP today was 117/70 when I went to the dr. Almost can't function with it this low. Usually runs 130/90 ish. Thankfully no cancer....and I've only got 5 more pounds to loose. 😀
Great on the no cancer!!
Buddy had a heart attack recently his PSA was 50. If he hadn't had the heart attack cancer would have got him.
The problem with doctors is they want us at their normal.
My first back procedure I went for, everyone went to scurrying around.
I ask what's the problem?
One nurse said you're about to go into shock! I said why? She said your heart rate is 52! It took awhile to reassure them that was my normal rate.

Lucky_P said:
Eliminating sugar was a big part on me dropping 90 lbs after a total knee replacement... got me back to the weight I was when I graduated high school.
Also, as part of rehab, we bought a stationary bike, and I'd ride that thing for 20 miles or so every night while watching TV.

My best friend watches the reality show, My 600 Pound Life, when she's on her stationary bike or treadmill. That's motivation!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Four more months I will turn 80 years old. I still try to be active but it is getting harder to do. I to am Type II take 500 mg Metformin tablet along with a 1 mg Glimepride in the morning and 1 500 mg Metformin at night with supper. Also 20mg/12.5 mg Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide each morning along with the small aspirin. All test show alright except the 1ac for blood glucose is around 7.0 doctor concerned about that. HDL is 97. I cannot walk very much as knees and hips play out. I weigh 215 lbs and have been at that weight for the last 8 years. Considering all of that I do not have the strength to lift and do things that I could 10 years ago. June 3 next year my wife and I will celebrate 60 years together.

Latest posts