So I started walking every day . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

sstterry said:
Caustic Burno said:
Lucky_P said:
Eliminating sugar was a big part on me dropping 90 lbs after a total knee replacement... got me back to the weight I was when I graduated high school. Also, as part of rehab, we bought a stationary bike, and I'd ride that thing for 20 miles or so every night while watching TV.
Regular physician told me that if I lost weight, I could probably go off blood pressure meds... nope... didn't happen. Spent a month or so cataloging everything I ate and calculating sodium content - it's in EVERYTHING!!! - and got daily sodium intake down below 1500 mg/day... but that eliminated me eating ANYTHING I liked. Decided I'd rather take the pills and eat resonably.
Have kinda back-slid, and weight has crept back up some. Wife and I started walking daily about a month ago... I'm up to about 4 miles a day now, and back riding the stationary bike some.

Be aware that most fruits have a shyt-ton of sugar in 'em... wife had a friend who was trying to lose weight... she was eating a huge bowl of grapes, pears, etc., every day and couldn't figure out why she wasn't making any headway... 'cuz she was 'eating HEALTHY!' - but was probably ingesting 3-4 times the amount of sugar a normal person needs every day... and don't fall for that 'but it's "natural" sugar' deal. For the most part, sugar is sugar.
Summers, I have a hard time keeping weight down, due to all the apples, pears, blueberries, etc.

The sugar free as well it's not false advertising but very deceptive at best. It is usually loaded with high fructose corn syrup.
You would be amazed at how much corn syrup were feed. In 1900 the average American consumed less than 20 lbs of sugar a year today it's a 100.
Sugar is sugar natural or manufactured at Imperial.

And we all remember back when the biggest culprit was fat? As it turns out, all of those 1960's studies were funded by the sugar and soda industry!

Most people would puke if they saw how much fat I eat in a day. For example dinner for me today will be Pork chops wrapped in bacon and dipped in garlic butter with a big chunck of cheese. No veggies. No Fruit.

18 months ago I was or had
Diabetes
High blood pressure
High Cholesterol(ldl)
beginning stages of congestive heart failure.\
Non Alcoholic fatty liver disease

I have none of those things now. I lost 80+lbs and do not eat sugar(including carbs). Most days I eat once a day.\

RafterS, come change irrigation pipes for me.. I'm usually at about 25K steps by lunch :)
Hope this makes you feel better and less dependent on any meds :)

hurleyjd said:
Four more months I will turn 80 years old. I still try to be active but it is getting harder to do. I to am Type II take 500 mg Metformin tablet along with a 1 mg Glimepride in the morning and 1 500 mg Metformin at night with supper. Also 20mg/12.5 mg Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide each morning along with the small aspirin. All test show alright except the 1ac for blood glucose is around 7.0 doctor concerned about that. HDL is 97. I cannot walk very much as knees and hips play out. I weigh 215 lbs and have been at that weight for the last 8 years. Considering all of that I do not have the strength to lift and do things that I could 10 years ago. June 3 next year my wife and I will celebrate 60 years together.

I've been taking 1000mg metformin morning and night since I was diagnosed. Recently changed from a daily dose of Victoza (been doing that for about 6 years) to a weekly dose of Ozempic. A1c has been creeping up the past couple years and the reason to try newer meds. Held it @ 7.1 this time around so hoping to get it back down to 6.7 or so soon. I think over the years it's been as high as 7.5 and as low as 6.5.

On lisinopril,amlodipine, and bystolic for blood pressure along with the aspirin. Dr just dialed back the amlodipine.

Davemk, sounds like you are on a diet real similiar to the original Atkins diet ?

I do about the same diet you are doing. I I am 59 years old. When i stick to eating basically meat only and drink pnly water my health is the best its ever been. Cholesterol, blood pressure, everything is perfect.

The only thing about it is that i get in such good shape that i will work myself into a stooper. I am just full of energy all of the time. Util i stray from the diet. What causes me to stray is gh or example. On top of taking care of my cattle. About a year ago this last Spring i decided to build a new pond in a wet area on a 36 acre track of pasture of mine.

The reason it stays wet is because there is artesion well bubbling up out of the ground. So in order to get the pond bilt in that spot. And after digging 3 test holes 8 foot deep to check for bed rock. I had to pump about 600 gallons of water out of the three test holes everyday over a period of 3 1/2 months.

On top of that i tore down a 100 year old two story 50 × 70 barn. Bilt a half mile of cross fence, put in 1700 foot of water line, installed two mirra fountains. Cleared 2 acres of big tree's piled and burned them. Cut and baled 50 acres of hay 5 different times. Bailed 700 square bales of hay, hauled and stacked it in the barn.

Replaced both axles on my stock trailer. Raised and worked in my garden. And worked at my full time job from 4 p.m to 12 a.m alot of time 6 days a week. And the list goes on and on !

So because of thoes reasons. I had to get off of my normal diet and have been eating alot of foods out side of my normal meat and water diet. So i am not in as good of health as i normally am.

But i would never been able to do all of the projects that i have done in the past year that i mentioned above had i not of been on my diet of meat and water that had me in such good shape.

I am caught up enough to where i hope fully can slow down my pace enough so that i can start eating better and take care of my health better.

Yesterday I walked two miles again, like the day before. I had things I wanted to do when I got done, but they had to wait a while for this old man to rest. Hopefully it will get better.

I'm only 39 and have had high tryglicerides and high cholesterol since my mid 20s, not terrible high, never had to take medication for it. Some years when they check it's fine and some it's not. I've tried several different methods of healthy eating and seen results but was not a sustainable diet. I've recently been doing alot of research of lowering my lipids and run across a DR from Nashville,TN name Ken Berry MD, he has videos on facebook and youtube. Basically he said a Keto style diet is the best way to get a handle on most health issues, absolutely no sugar and low carbs, as little processed food as possible, mostly whole foods. It really makes sense to follow something of this sort after hearing him explain it, it's what our ancestors ate. Natural animal fats and vegetables, although some vegetables are high in carbs and should be limited. He also said do away with grains as they are mostly starch, and very limited fruit. Basically anything that has sugar or turns to sugar should be avoided. I've tried a mostly low fat high grain and fruit diet before and didn't have much in the way of results and felt like I was going to starve as I'm not overweight ( 5'8 and weigh between 155-160). My best results on my lipid panels are when I weigh around 150 so I'm going to try this keto style out and see if can maintain around 150lbs and get my tryglicerides down. Another Dr I listened to on youtube also said high LDL cholesterol is really not that bad, he sited several studies that showed LDL is responsible for healing the body and has very little to do with heart disease, His name was Dr. Nadir Ali. I know of 3 people recently that had severe blockage and had never had high lipid panels so it kinda makes you wonder how much those lipid panels really mean.
I just thought I would share this info with ya'll as I was very enlightened by what these two Drs had to say and they had results to prove it. Most Drs I've dealt with just want to put you on a medication.

Little Joe said:
I'm only 39 and have had high tryglicerides and high cholesterol since my mid 20s, not terrible high, never had to take medication for it. Some years when they check it's fine and some it's not. I've tried several different methods of healthy eating and seen results but was not a sustainable diet. I've recently been doing alot of research of lowering my lipids and run across a DR from Nashville,TN name Ken Berry MD, he has videos on facebook and youtube. Basically he said a Keto style diet is the best way to get a handle on most health issues, absolutely no sugar and low carbs, as little processed food as possible, mostly whole foods. It really makes sense to follow something of this sort after hearing him explain it, it's what our ancestors ate. Natural animal fats and vegetables, although some vegetables are high in carbs and should be limited. He also said do away with grains as they are mostly starch, and very limited fruit. Basically anything that has sugar or turns to sugar should be avoided. I've tried a mostly low fat high grain and fruit diet before and didn't have much in the way of results and felt like I was going to starve as I'm not overweight ( 5'8 and weigh between 155-160). My best results on my lipid panels are when I weigh around 150 so I'm going to try this keto style out and see if can maintain around 150lbs and get my tryglicerides down. Another Dr I listened to on youtube also said high LDL cholesterol is really not that bad, he sited several studies that showed LDL is responsible for healing the body and has very little to do with heart disease, His name was Dr. Nadir Ali. I know of 3 people recently that had severe blockage and had never had high lipid panels so it kinda makes you wonder how much those lipid panels really mean.
I just thought I would share this info with ya'll as I was very enlightened by what these two Drs had to say and they had results to prove it. Most Drs I've dealt with just want to put you on a medication.

You can't outrun your DNA.
My great grandma lived to be 104 eating bacon and eggs dang near every morning and some cut of pork in the evening.
You can choose a healthier lifestyle but you still can't outrun that DNA.

Caustic Burno said:
Little Joe said:

You can't outrun your DNA.
My great grandma lived to be 104 eating bacon and eggs dang near every morning and some cut of pork in the evening.
You can choose a healthier lifestyle but you still can't outrun that DNA.

That's the crazy part, none of my parents or grandparents have died young of heart disease or died of heat attacks. My mom died of pancreatic cancer at 54 due to smoking and didn't take care of her health at all, my dad is 73 and can do anything I can, my paternal grandfather died at 81 of emphyzema because he'd smoked since he was 10, my paternal grandma just died at 93 of emphyzema and congestive heart failure but then again she was 93 and lived by herself until the first of this year and drove until last year, my maternal granfather is 87 and just retired from being an auxilary deputy and only because he was forced. Some of my great grandparents were in their late 90s when they passed. Maybe some of them had issues and never knew it because my family, especially my dad's side, don't ever go to the doctor. I think sometimes we're better not to know things that are wrong with us, or CB as you stated earlier in this thread what's normal for one person is not with another person.

I'm up to 3 miles per day now, and averaging 17:45 per mile. When I first started I was doing good to do a mile in less than 20 minutes.

Latest posts