So I started walking every day . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
At 59 the only medication I was taking routinely was Claritin for my allergies, but I went to the doctor for my check-up about a month ago. That has now changed. She put me on daily pills for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I don't like taking medicine every day, so I'm hoping getting in better shape will let me get off of at least one of them.

I started walking every day about a week and a half ago, and haven't missed any days yet. I started at 1 mile per day, then increased it too soon and got blisters (I probably need better shoes), so went back down to 1 mile for a few days, then up to 1-1/2 miles for a few days, and did 2 miles yesterday. I'm not sure what length to work up to; maybe 3 miles per day? Anyway, I'm enjoying it, and will enjoy it even more when the weather cools down so I don't get home drenched in sweat.

I've also cut my beer consumption by about 25%, and I'm trying to eat a little healthier, but I like food too much to get radical with that part.

Getting in better shape to avoid routine medication is the main goal, but I expect losing weight to be part of it. I'm at 232 now (down from a high of around 250 early this year just from being more active around the house in the evenings after work). I'm told 180 is ideal for my height (6'0"), but we'll see. I'd be happy just to eventually get under 200.

Good for you. For me not drinking or eating sweets helps. I am Type 2 diabetic and have gotten totally off the diabetic meds. Still on high blood pressure and cholesterol meds but about 1/2 as much.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR.
The wife was taking some cholesterol meds.
Gave her legs and feet all kinda trouble.
She threw the cholesterol pills in the trash.
Took to eating fresh uncooked whole garlic cloves. 3 OR 4 A day. No other diet changes. No more leg and feet cramps.
Last time she was at the dr, they saw no reason she needed cholesterol pills. Weird huh?
I AM NOT A DOCTOR.

:banana: good advice from MurrayMutts. look for natural supplements that work for you. My wife and I are now taking fish oil instead of the cholesterol meds we were on and Dr. said no need to stay on meds. Articles I read and confirmed from my Dr. said a lot of cholesterol is hereditary rather that from foods that you eat, but watching what you eat is also important. The high blood pressure may be because they just lowered the recommended recommendations for a normal blood pressure. If your blood pressure is about the same as before, you may want to ask your Dr. if that is why she wants to start you on meds. Glad to hear that you are making changes to improve your health and hope a healthier lifestyle is also enjoyable for you so the trend continues. Good luck

Dsth said:
:banana: good advice from MurrayMutts. look for natural supplements that work for you. My wife and I are now taking fish oil instead of the cholesterol meds we were on and Dr. said no need to stay on meds. Articles I read and confirmed from my Dr. said a lot of cholesterol is hereditary rather that from foods that you eat, but watching what you eat is also important. The high blood pressure may be because they just lowered the recommended recommendations for a normal blood pressure. If your blood pressure is about the same as before, you may want to ask your Dr. if that is why she wants to start you on meds. Glad to hear that you are making changes to improve your health and hope a healthier lifestyle is also enjoyable for you so the trend continues. Good luck

Haha! She tried the fish oil. Made for some nasty burps.
I guess she prefers breath that scares away vampires.

I too have heard about the Gov lowering blood pressure guidelines.
Wifes BP is kind of abnormal. Swings a bit. Shes still taking half a pill a day I think for that

Rafter S said:
At 59 the only medication I was taking routinely was Claritin for my allergies, but I went to the doctor for my check-up about a month ago. That has now changed. She put me on daily pills for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I don't like taking medicine every day, so I'm hoping getting in better shape will let me get off of at least one of them.

I started walking every day about a week and a half ago, and haven't missed any days yet. I started at 1 mile per day, then increased it too soon and got blisters (I probably need better shoes), so went back down to 1 mile for a few days, then up to 1-1/2 miles for a few days, and did 2 miles yesterday. I'm not sure what length to work up to; maybe 3 miles per day? Anyway, I'm enjoying it, and will enjoy it even more when the weather cools down so I don't get home drenched in sweat.

I've also cut my beer consumption by about 25%, and I'm trying to eat a little healthier, but I like food too much to get radical with that part.

Getting in better shape to avoid routine medication is the main goal, but I expect losing weight to be part of it. I'm at 232 now (down from a high of around 250 early this year just from being more active around the house in the evenings after work). I'm told 180 is ideal for my height (6'0"), but we'll see. I'd be happy just to eventually get under 200.

It goes with the odometer front number being a 5. Remember you in your 6th decade. It all hit me with an assortment of issues. I walk constantly around my place and went to portion control. I lost 50 lbs and have kept it off. I am still a diabetic and will be till I die.

Dsth said:

Thanks for all the replies. At least for now I plan to stay on the medicine, but I go back in about 5 months and I'm hoping she'll take me off them then. If not I'll look into natural supplements. I don't think high cholesterol is hereditary, since mine was well within desired parameters for decades, but I could be wrong.

As far as the blood pressure, the bottom number has been in the low 90's for several years. I probably should have been working on it sooner.

Speaking of remedies for high cholesterol reminded me of some years ago when a co-worker was told by his doctor that his was high, and he could try controlling it with diet instead of medicine, and eating oatmeal would be a good start. So he started having the microwave oatmeal at morning break at work every day . . . for a while. Then he switched to oatmeal cookies. For some reason the cookies didn't work as well. He's on medicine now.

Good for all of you! Taking control of your health is waaaay better than adding one pill after another to remedy what could be a relatively easy fix.

Rafter, probably 17 years ago my husband had to go through a complete health assessment at the Mayo because the company he worked for had an insurance policy on him. They told him his ideal weight should be 178 - and he's 6'5". What??? That doesn't seem realistic but he is down to 200.

TCRanch said:
Rafter, probably 17 years ago my husband had to go through a complete health assessment at the Mayo because the company he worked for had an insurance policy on him. They told him his ideal weight should be 178 - and he's 6'5". What??? That doesn't seem realistic but he is down to 200.

They had an insurance policy on him or YOU jacked it up all of a sudden????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Rafter - May I suggest going to a locally owned shoe store that specializes in running shoes, not Dick's, Bass Pro, etc. A local store should have knowledgeable sales folks that can watch you walk, ask questions and finally recommend a pair of shoes that will serve your purpose. If they don't do the first two, or appear to be too young to buy alcohol, I'd look elsewhere.

Eat twice a day and don't snack. Sometimes eat once a day, no snacks. Worked for me. Lost 80lbs. No diabetes, no high blood pressure, and abnormally low cholesterol (Dr. words, not mine)

Edited to add. I eat nothing with sugar in it for weeks at a time. I will once or month have ice cream or a Pepsi.

cfpinz said:
TCRanch said:

They had an insurance policy on him or YOU jacked it up all of a sudden????? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Rafter - May I suggest going to a locally owned shoe store that specializes in running shoes, not Dick's, Bass Pro, etc. A local store should have knowledgeable sales folks that can watch you walk, ask questions and finally recommend a pair of shoes that will serve your purpose. If they don't do the first two, or appear to be too young to buy alcohol, I'd look elsewhere.

Thanks. I think I'll do that.

Don't give up breakfast. Give up supper. Eat a good breakfast, a moderate lunch, and limit the evening meal to fruit or veggies. Take the sugar out of your diet as completely as possible.

When I bought a quad my kids said think of all the steps it will save you. I replied it is those steps that are saving me.

MurraysMutts said:
The wife was taking some cholesterol meds.
Gave her legs and feet all kinda trouble.

Cholesterol medication is notorious for causing muscle pain. In extreme cases it can cause Rabdomyolysis which is a break down of the muscle tissue and can cause severe kidney problems because it basically stops up the kidneys. There is a huge genetic component to high cholesterol and high blood pressure. But regular exercise can reduce mortality by up to 30%.

When the heat/humidity breaks I plan on getting back to 20000-30000 steps a day on my fit bit.

Rafter Dr told me when I as diagnosed with diabetes if God made it I could eat it. If manmade steer clear.
That on me is one of those you can't outrun your DNA. I always say I am grannies favorite cause she gave me everything she had. She didn't give any other grandkid everything.

cfpinz said:
TCRanch said:

OMG, you may be right! It was actually 18 years ago. Yes, it was the company that had the policy on him BUT it was right before we got married. I never did like the CEO ;-) :hide:

About 4 years ago, I cut my leg pretty bad and had to go to the ER. In the Ambulance the medic asked me if I had high blood pressure? I told her that I knew I did because it runs in my family. She told me I was at stroke level. At the ER the doc (who used to work for me - long story) said, as he was stiching up my leg, that he was giving me BP meds but I had to go to a GP to get it treated.

I went to the family GP (I had not seen a doctor in over 30 years) and he ran me "through the mill". Cardiac Calcium Scan, Bloodwork, Sleep test, had to see a Cardiologist, ect. At the end he put me on 2 BP meds and a prophylactic low dose statin. He then told me that even though I was over-weight, that I was a very healthy over weight and that my blood work was perfect. I will have to see him next month and he is not going to be happy that I have gained back the weight I lost last year. After I started seeing him I have been religious in going and trying to stay active.

Latest posts