Smucker Mfg Weed Wiper for ATV

Help Support CattleToday:

They make 10' and 15' options for a grand and a grand and a half! LOL

I will mainly use it for ditches and eradicating the spotty Johnson grass in my pastures. There are just clumps here and there. I would imagine a day of driving around I'll have it whopped. By the third year, it should be gone for the most part and by using Glyphosate, not that over priced Out-Rider crap that costs $370 for like 20 oz.

I've read pros and cons on the sponge vs rope vs roller. The only thing that bothers me is like they say, the wiper "is an art, not a science." You have to sense when the wiper is getting dry and turn the pump on just to the point of dripping then turn it off. There is really no way to control the wick suturization when driving around in weeds that vary in density and height. I think I'll enjoy getting rid of the sericea lespedeza with it as well.

You can also retro-fit other sprayers with the sponges up to like 70ft wide....but it will cost more than my first house did.

I'll keep my old converted cotton sprayer for broad-leaf junk.

Fan tips on a fixed boom in the middle, and a couple fans and a boomless on the end of the short booms. I can cover about 45' wide. Not a fancy rig, but a free rig.

moto_0344_zpsrwk185e8.jpg

Over $400 to cover 5' and the sprayer is not included. No thanks. You could add a little nozzle to a tank for a fraction of the cost and do the same, if not more.

I thought about making one for my mule at one point and I was just going to use a 2x4. Run the hoses down the top and drill some holes for the nozzles. Cheap and easy. Had it drawn up so the tank bolted to a couple boards and the "boom" board was bolted on to the back. Could slide the whole thing in and out of the bed.

One problem with some wipers is that you have to hit to plants from 2 different directions. Wiped a bunch of queen anns lace that hadn;t started to flower yet. Plants basicly shriveled up on one side and grew crooked but still went all the way through to blooming.

I don't think that will be too hard to do since I'm buying it for spot control. I'll probably do several laps down the ditches and smoke the heck out of this stuff. I can't stand the grass higher than my fence. I've pretty much talked myself into ordering one, but just curious what ya'lls opinions of them are.

M-5":2a5tw4hh said:
pvc pipe and some cotton rope is all that is needed for the wiper. I have not built one yet but the tutorials I've looked at shows its pretty simple.

I read some field trials where the cotton rope method only killed less than 30% of the plants. Maybe it was rigged. LOL

Brute 23":3she0b6i said:
Over $400 to cover 5' and the sprayer is not included. No thanks. You could add a little nozzle to a tank for a fraction of the cost and do the same, if not more.

I thought about making one for my mule at one point and I was just going to use a 2x4. Run the hoses down the top and drill some holes for the nozzles. Cheap and easy. Had it drawn up so the tank bolted to a couple boards and the "boom" board was bolted on to the back. Could slide the whole thing in and out of the bed.

I already have a tank and pump for the ATV so it won't hurt too bad. The thing is, by the time I purchase the metal and the PVC and the rope and the fittings and spend a day or two building it, I will have spent $400 in material and time. It can be made really cheap using a gravity fed system but then a person can't turn them on/off and once you drive out of the weeds, they will continuously drip....unless you can make the tube turn over and put the ropes on top during transport.

4x4dually":hrvgxc2m said:
M-5":hrvgxc2m said:
pvc pipe and some cotton rope is all that is needed for the wiper. I have not built one yet but the tutorials I've looked at shows its pretty simple.

I read some field trials where the cotton rope method only killed less than 30% of the plants. Maybe it was rigged. LOL

I better call the guy that farms a lot of land around here and tell him he has about 20' one on a fel on a utility tractor doing noting but killing careless in peanuts right now. If you put the right stuff in the tank it will kill 100% of what it touches. He will wipe today and by tomorrow it will be brown and dead. I think he uses diesel fuel as the carrier but Im not sure.

M-5":118ordrk said:
I better call the guy that farms a lot of land around here and tell him he has about 20' one on a fel on a utility tractor doing noting but killing careless in peanuts right now. If you put the right stuff in the tank it will kill 100% of what it touches. He will wipe today and by tomorrow it will be brown and dead. I think he uses diesel fuel as the carrier but Im not sure.

I figured it was a trial done by an OEM to sell their junk. I didn't put much faith in that. The internet is only 5% truth. LOL

I've got a small spray unit in my Mule. Only a 25 gallon tank but made a bar to go across the back that is 8 ft. long with nozzle on both ends. Covers about 12-14 feet and does a really good job. Has a valve on it where I can switch back and forth from the spray bar to a wand on about 20 ft. of rubber tubing.

TexasBred":2hd4bcex said:
I've got a small spray unit in my Mule. Only a 25 gallon tank but made a bar to go across the back that is 8 ft. long with nozzle on both ends. Covers about 12-14 feet and does a really good job. Has a valve on it where I can switch back and forth from the spray bar to a wand on about 20 ft. of rubber tubing.

That's the ticket right there. I may still build one for the places the tractor cant get to. I'm spot spraying with the Mule any ways.

I bought a boomless for the atv this year. I love the thing . Especially when the ground is soft. May never spray from a tractor again. Does a 40 foot swath. Have to make more trips to fill the tank but it don't take long to get there and back.

Brute 23":2uh6eo3o said:
TexasBred":2uh6eo3o said:

That's the ticket right there. I may still build one for the places the tractor cant get to. I'm spot spraying with the Mule any ways.

My ATV will eventually have a boomless system on it as well. I think I'll end up putting nozzels on both sides of this front mount rig when I get it and just put valves where I can switch from the wiper to the sprayer. I have to wipe Roundup....I hate Johnson grass and want to kill it, but not at the cost of losing what little Bermuda I have. I also want to modify my big sprayer with either electric cylinders or hydraulic cylinders on the wings so I don't have to get off and manually put them up or down to go through gates.....old man syndrome. LOL

4x4dually":4dm1g1i5 said:
Brute 23":4dm1g1i5 said:
TexasBred":4dm1g1i5 said:

My ATV will eventually have a boomless system on it as well. I think I'll end up putting nozzels on both sides of this front mount rig when I get it and just put valves where I can switch from the wiper to the sprayer (well, maybe it will switch from front to back mount for that. I don't want to drive into the spray but you get my "drift"). I have to wipe Roundup....I hate Johnson grass and want to kill it, but not at the cost of losing what little Bermuda I have. I also want to modify my big sprayer with either electric cylinders or hydraulic cylinders on the wings so I don't have to get off and manually put them up or down to go through gates.....old man syndrome. LOL

TexasBred":hafelen6 said:
I used a garden hose type of Y valve and just turn the one on I want to use, either the boom (lexan) or wand.

callmefence":2lrijw99 said:
I bought a boomless for the atv this year. I love the thing . Especially when the ground is soft. May never spray from a tractor again. Does a 40 foot swath. Have to make more trips to fill the tank but it don't take long to get there and back.

Which one did you get?

I put a single nozzle one on an atv sprayer for my wife's father this weekend, it sprays a 15' swath but gets pretty close to the ground for the last few feet on each side. Fimco has one with 3 nozzles I've been eyeballing that is rated for 30 feet.

cfpinz":33cmugmh said:
callmefence":33cmugmh said:

Which one did you get?

I put a single nozzle one on an atv sprayer for my wife's father this weekend, it sprays a 15' swath but gets pretty close to the ground for the last few feet on each side. Fimco has one with 3 nozzles I've been eyeballing that is rated for 30 feet.

It's a county line. I believe it's made by fimco.
I think it might be rated for 30 but it will do better.
It has a much better pump. Imo. Delavan 4.0 than the previous fimcos I've had.

Latest posts