Slinging Ryegrass and Crimson Seed Today!

Help Support CattleToday:

skyline

Reaction score
I know this may not be exciting to some of you full timers, but I took the day off from my regular job today and plan to spend all day broadcasting ryegrass and crimson seed. Really looking forward to some Skyline time in the tractor.

Last year I had good success with TAM90 ryegrass seed by itself. My only problem was that I didn't plant a large enough area and it took awhile for the seedlings to get ahead of the deer! :lol: This year, I'm moving up to about 20 acres. I've got 500 lbs of Marshall ryegrass seed and 50 lbs of crimson clover seed to sling.

I'm probably overdoing the prep work, but I have grazed and then cut the existing grass (bahai and some coastal) very short. Today I plan to lightly disk to a depth of about 1 or 2" to loosen up some fresh soil on top of the ground for better seed contact (with the disks turned at a very non-aggressive angle), followed by the broadcast, and then I'll pull a chain harrow to finish it up.

I'll follow all that up with prayers for a good rain. We've got a front coming and 50% chance of showers tomorrow and the next day.

Life is good.

I did the same last week and got 2.5 inches of rain the next day.Man that Crimson is kicking a$$ already.I wish I had planted more of it rather than the ryegrass but it was my first time mixing in the clover and I wasnt sure how it would do in my soil.I was a little leery with the price of the clover.

Crimson is high i paided 125 a bag and put 15 lbs an arce its almost cheaper just to put out nitrogen

Got er done. Finished up in the dark. Tough to keep track of where you're at in the dark when broadcasting seed. :oops: No telling what I'll wind up with. Might look like an abstract painting when it starts greening up. But I don't reckon the cows will care. :) 60% chance of rain for the next two days!

skyline":1jz16g06 said:
Got er done. Finished up in the dark. Tough to keep track of where you're at in the dark when broadcasting seed. :oops: No telling what I'll wind up with. Might look like an abstract painting when it starts greening up. But I don't reckon the cows will care. :) 60% chance of rain for the next two days!
:D We can only hope.

My oats (what hasn't already made it up and army worms didn't eat) could really use it. Also pasture drilled 40 acres with ball clover and 30 acres in Apache clover that really need a good soaking.

skyline":djzlok7d said:
I'm probably overdoing the prep work, but I have grazed and then cut the existing grass (bahai and some coastal) very short. Today I plan to lightly disk to a depth of about 1 or 2" to loosen up some fresh soil on top of the ground for better seed contact (with the disks turned at a very non-aggressive angle), followed by the broadcast, and then I'll pull a chain harrow to finish it up.

If your bahia is like mine, you are doing just the right thing. I would suggest pulling the drag along with the spreader to save a pass though. Its also useful as a row marker of where you've been. Just my opinion though.

Jogeephus":6nondan8 said:
skyline":6nondan8 said:

If your bahia is like mine, you are doing just the right thing. I would suggest pulling the drag along with the spreader to save a pass though. Its also useful as a row marker of where you've been. Just my opinion though.

I didn't have enough crimson seed, so I planted the ryegrass/crimson on about 8 acres and the rest of the ryegrass on about 10 acres. The ryegrass side, I ran out of time and pulled the drag behind the spreader with the teeth turned down without disking. Hope it scratched it enough to make a difference. Was trying to hurry before it rains.

As usual, something broke in the process. A nut came off of the axle on my disk and I lost 1 of the four gangs of disks. Always something.... I found all the parts except for the nut.

skyline":1h9271sx said:
I know this may not be exciting to some of you full timers, but I took the day off from my regular job today and plan to spend all day broadcasting ryegrass and crimson seed. Really looking forward to some Skyline time in the tractor
Life is good.

I also enjoy planting. Some thing about it... :D

Brute 23":206agxwy said:
skyline":206agxwy said:
I know this may not be exciting to some of you full timers, but I took the day off from my regular job today and plan to spend all day broadcasting ryegrass and crimson seed. Really looking forward to some Skyline time in the tractor
Life is good.

I also enjoy planting. Some thing about it... :D

Brute, I think you're right. The prospect of seeing my pasture with pretty green grass in it....

My cell phone "ran out of battery" early in the day. ;-) Had lots of time to think and plan.

I broadcast rye, light disc, then marshall ryegrass and crimson clover, then cultipacked Oct 5th. The land was disked 3 times to basically a bed of dust and yesterday the 14th the deer were after the rye and the clover was up with no rain. Rye is awsome and i was surprised by the clover as this is the first time i have tried crimson.

1982vett":31xwnj82 said:
skyline":31xwnj82 said:
:D We can only hope.

My oats (what hasn't already made it up and army worms didn't eat) could really use it. Also pasture drilled 40 acres with ball clover and 30 acres in Apache clover that really need a good soaking.

Vett, we got over 2" yesterday evening. How'd you do?

Skyline that sounds great on getting 2 inches of rain. Only got about 2/10 here, sure could use some more. Your clover and ryegrass should be off to a good start

skyline":1u76786m said:
Vett, we got over 2" yesterday evening. How'd you do?

7/10ths. Happy to get that but the rain jinx was still working. Talked to a guy that lives about 2 1/2 miles SE and he said he had 2 inches and another guy that lives about 4 miles N got 3. It was an on and off rain all day which was good and being cloudy and calm today is good. Hopefully the cooler weather will stay and the moisture won't burn off so fast. Starting to look a little green again.

Brute 23":3lszra48 said:
I also enjoy planting. Some thing about it...

Me too. Its like calving. I love to see something new coming forth. Gives you hope and a sense of satisfaction.

Got mine all planted. Now to impatiently wait. I was just wondering if I am the only guy that checks it every single day looking for the first sprout?

novatech":1qx9ixnu said:
Got mine all planted. Now to impatiently wait. I was just wondering if I am the only guy that checks it every single day looking for the first sprout?

Umhhhh, I'm guilty of that. I know I had crimson seed sprouts in the back of the cattle trailer today. I spilled some when I was innoculating it. Wasn't much, but probably over $3.00 worth of seeds... :frowns:

I used coated preinnoculated seed. I had to stop while planting because of a heavy down poor. The coating soaked up moisture right at the point of seed ejection. (in those little gears that regulate them). I had to use a shop vac to clean out all the seed. When I got to the bottom the seed was already starting to sprout where the moisture had gotten to them.

Latest posts