Ryegrass and a hard freeze ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm paddling with you two here in TN. Supposedly was a cold tolerant variety, Verdure maybe...

I turned the cows in on half the ground I drilled, once it had frozen over, to chew down the fescue that had stockpiled in hopes of letting light get on the ryegrass Might have shot myself in the foot. Of course they ate the ryegrass down too.

I figure I either let the cow or the cold weather bite it...one of the two, or both.

I am keeping unrolled 2nd cut hay available too to keep them from going too hard on the RG. They're not wasting much surprisingly.

Got my wonders whether it'll be there this spring. They are giving 4 days in the 60s next week. Hoping that'll help it some.

Last edited:
Moisture in the ground will help it survive. If you have snow cover, you will be okay. Last year it got real dry than froze hard and devastated my Rye grass and oats. The year before that when we had the record cold but had snow, everything turned out good.

I put my cows on a 30 acre patch of Rye grass and oats the day before (last Wednesday) the weather turned bad. I went out yesterday and unrolled a roll of Bermuda but they were not really interested. You could see the damage to the grass but how bad it is won't be known for a few days.

Mine got bit by the cold pretty dang bad. As of now, i wsh I had kept the cows off of it. They're giving spring weather for a week with rain, hopefully that'll perk it back up a bit.

Did get a fair amount if nutrients and seed on that field without any damage to the ground. Frozen ground and unrolling hay is awesome. Just rarely get to have frozen ground here.

It's too early to tell what will come back but as of right now some grasses are looking pretty bad. Neighbor has a pivot with a wheat/oats/rye mix under it and the tallest stuff, pretty sure it's the oats got burned back down 3 or 4 inches. Put a brown haze to the field. The interesting part is all the native rye grass around the outside of the pivot that was only a few inches tall seems to be burned back to the ground.
We kinda have the same thing on our place. Native rye even under the trees seems to be froze back to the ground. The Mix that was planted into the coastal the tips are burned back pretty bad. Not as bad were the taller coastal provided a little more cover.

I have been looking at the winter weather estimations for this region on AccuWeather. Really unreliable. But they're projecting the rest of winter to be mild for us. I hope they're right.

Our hay supply is being dwindled faster than I anticipated... too many animals.

Hope we can get back to mostly grazing by early April.

Yall doing any frost seeding this winter?

mine got hit hard also...but is coming back slowly...growing slow tho....wish id put some fertilize on it ...but was afraid it wouldnt come up due to drought here in tn.
I wonder if the fertilize wouldn't have been wasted if you're in TN. Here soon are you considering it?

Mine is coming up slowly too. Some of it got bit hard and maybe died. Still seems to be some seed sprouting at this time. Glad we've had mild weather since New Years.

I'm in TN myself, red and white clover have just started reemerging.

Latest posts