Slaughter Yield Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullbuyer

Reaction score
Someone asked this question last night and I want to see if my guess is in line or not.
Here's the example:
2000 pound bull should dress around 1100 pounds. If that entire carcass is ground into hamburger, my GUESS is that you will have somewhere around 750 pounds of ground meat.
If someone can give me a formula, percentages of what the expected yield would be, I'd appreciate it.
As high as slaughter bulls are right now, I don't know that this would be the economical thing for this person to do.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/yield_on_beef_carcass.htm

Beef Carcass Breakdown
With an average market (live or on hoof) weight of 1,150 lbs and the average yield of 62.2%, the typical steer will produce a 715 lb. (dressed weight) carcass.

The dressed beef (or carcass) will yield approximately 569 lbs. (further details below) of red meat and trim (take home meat - which includes the average weight of 27 lbs of variety meat: liver, heart, tongue, tripe, sweetbreads and brains) and 146 lbs of fat, bone and loss. This is roughly a yield of 80% from the dressed or hanging weight - this is for a VERY LEAN Beef. A High Quality, USDA Choice Beef will yield approximately 70% of the Hanging or Dressed Weight. The yield on the take home meat weight from the live weight of the (VERY LEAN) steer is approximately 50%.

I found this informanting from the website at the top of the page. I hope this helps! :tiphat:

Had a whole lean 2100 lb. bull ground once. The butcher didn't really want to do it because of his size.

Got 1025 lbs. of burger. Remember it well cause it filled up all my family's freezers and then some.

Latest posts