Skyhightree on the way to the doctor/hospital

Help Support CattleToday:

sky your not the only 1 to have a calf with rabies.i heard yesterday that a friend found a cow or calf dead with rabies.stung his pocketbook pretty good with as high as reg cattle are.

Jemminy Crickets! :shock:
Sky,I hope you and yours get back to normal soon.

I hope you continue to do well. I would hate to hear that you wife had to go "ole yellar" on you. Although it does make a person wonder how many tears would be shed at the end of that story.......

Be well my friend.

Thanks for the wellness wishes yall I have had 2nd dose and arm is sore as crap but guess what I haven't bit anyone so life is good. The gov't people are still up my butt and coming to the farm tomorrow but hey its expected. The mama cow and other cattle in that paddock are not showing symptoms and they may lift the restriction to 30 days on the other pairs.

Sky I almost had to get shots a few years ago I had a coon that a guy brought me that I didn't know at the time was sick he told me a few weeks later after I had stretched on a board. I gotta admit I was scared til I did my research and found out that rabies doesn't live very long outside the body.

I always wear gloves now while skinning rather be safe than sorry. You made the right move.

trappersteve":15yl2dxu said:
Sky I almost had to get shots a few years ago I had a coon that a guy brought me that I didn't know at the time was sick he told me a few weeks later after I had stretched on a board. I gotta admit I was scared til I did my research and found out that rabies doesn't live very long outside the body.

I always wear gloves now while skinning rather be safe than sorry. You made the right move.

definitely gotta wear gloves with any wild animal you are skinning or gutting.

TexasBred":1qi32tyf said:
skyhightree1":1qi32tyf said:
LOL id rather not be famous and keep my brains intact :D

You so bad your body will most likely reject rabies. :devil2:

More likely that the rabies is rejecting him. If you were a rabies virus looking to infect someone would you pick Sky?

Dave":1ifxwz3a said:
TexasBred":1ifxwz3a said:
skyhightree1":1ifxwz3a said:

More likely that the rabies is rejecting him. If you were a rabies virus looking to infect someone would you pick Sky?

:clap: :lol:

Dave":yers41f1 said:
TexasBred":yers41f1 said:
skyhightree1":yers41f1 said:

Reckon that's why they prefer skunks. :mrgreen: :hide:

TexasBred":r92i35mk said:
[You so bad your body will most likely reject rabies. :devil2:

More likely that the rabies is rejecting him. If you were a rabies virus looking to infect someone would you pick Sky?[/quote]
Reckon that's why they prefer skunks. :mrgreen: :hide:[/quote]

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: There is always one wise guy ;-)

skyhightree1":1i1ne710 said:
Ok yall... Its be a HE 11 of a day.. well I don't know where to start of course yall saw calf video. Vet was wrong wrong wrong. Hook new vet in order for sure. Koffi Babone and Lucky_p I believe it was yall that first mentioned rabies and were right. :tiphat: :tiphat: Well calf towards his 2nd to last day was running head first into trailer when he heard anyone outside the trailer where he was kept.

Viruses are interesting. They can't survive on their own (they aren't really "living" as we think of organisms; it's basically just a bit of genetic material with a capsule around it). So they've had to evolve various ways to get into a host cell and commandeer the "machinery" to make more virus. One theory about aggression in rabid animals is that it's a way the virus has evolved to escape a dying host and infect another one, so as to keep on it's evil ways: by turning the host organism very aggressive, the host bites and thereby infects another animal. Rinse and repeat. (Most of the time rabies is transmitted via a bite).

So glad you were cautious! Reading not only yours but many of the others' stories on here has made me glad our vet had us vaccinate last year. Think I will have her bring the new ones up-to-date when she's here in 2 weeks.

TexasBred":38l7t58j said:
Dave":38l7t58j said:
TexasBred":38l7t58j said:

Reckon that's why they prefer skunks. :mrgreen: :hide:

I was going to point that out TB but I didn't want to hurt Sky's feeling. He has enough to worry about what with losing a calf, getting the shots, having the government snooping around, and his wife chaining him to a tree. We shouldn't pick on him........ on the other hand it is too much fun picking on him.

I never thought about vaccinating my cattle for rabies until about two minutes ago.
How many of you do? Oops just found the original post with the poll..
I didn't know you could. I have a lot of colons and skunks...that was supposed to be coons :D kindle auto corrects a lot..

Latest posts