size of bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i have a 10 month old angus/shorthorn cross bull. he seems small to me. he wieghs probably 600 lbs at best. he is in the pasture with my cows and eats hay and feed with them. he jusy does not seem to be growing. will he grow or do i need to get rid of him.

thanks tommy

[email protected]

He needs to grow wheels.

dun

> i have a 10 month old
> angus/shorthorn cross bull. he
> seems small to me. he wieghs
> probably 600 lbs at best. he is in
> the pasture with my cows and eats
> hay and feed with them. he jusy
> does not seem to be growing. will
> he grow or do i need to get rid of
> him.

> thanks tommy

[email protected]

Agree with Dun...WHEELS or freezer beef. If size was due to genetics, don't want to pass that on. If size due to nutritional deficiences, the cost to increase size not worth it; and, he might be too short to effectively service regular size females.

[email protected]

> Agree with Dun...WHEELS or freezer
> beef. If size was due to genetics,
> don't want to pass that on. If
> size due to nutritional
> deficiences, the cost to increase
> size not worth it; and, he might
> be too short to effectively
> service regular size females.

I also have a cross {gelvieh/Char} that I was wanting to keep back. Anybody know what height in inches at there shoulders they should be a 10-11 months of age? He's a nice looking bull calf, but he is muscular and therefore makes him look shorter to me.

[email protected]

> I also have a cross {gelvieh/Char}
> that I was wanting to keep back.
> Anybody know what height in inches
> at there shoulders they should be
> a 10-11 months of age? He's a nice
> looking bull calf, but he is
> muscular and therefore makes him
> look shorter to me.

A ten month old bull should NOT be with the cows. He may be using his growth energy chasing the cows and tring to breed them. Let the bull grow until he is about seventeen months old or more and exhibits his potential size to see if you even want to use him. Remember, you sell your calves by the pound and if you are expecting good calves don't use a runt.

[email protected]

Latest posts