simmental longhorn croos

Help Support CattleToday:

BIG RED

Reaction score
New to the longhorn breed, but I have nine purebreed longhorns cows right now. Could I breed a simmental bull to them he's young right now only about 1200 pds. Thanks for any info

my only question is y longhorns? there are other breeds that can survive extremely well on low input like North Devon though they can proboly wean a way bigger calf. If it's just a hobby should be gr8 X

Cross breeder #1":17g73zkj said:
my only question is y longhorns? there are other breeds that can survive extremely well on low input like North Devon though they can proboly wean a way bigger calf. If it's just a hobby should be gr8 X

What does "y longhorns" mean?

What does "gr8 X" mean?

You can breed them to any bull you like. That simmi may throw a lot of color.As far weaning a calf some of them longhorn cows will wean as big a calf as any thing else.

djinwa":26zmthmc said:
Cross breeder #1":26zmthmc said:

What does "gr8 X" mean?

I don't want to speak for cb#1, as I generally don't know what he's talking about, but I'll give it a go.

"y longhorns": Why would you choose one of the most unmarketable breeds of cattle when you can have cattle that not only survive, but thrive in the same conditions... oh, and are worth something at market. Not bashing LH, it's just what I have seen.. :cowboy:

"gr8 x": great cross.....

I'd be somewhat worried about birthweights with simm bulls on longhorn cows... pretty much most continental breeds for that matter... Salers would be one I'd consider as they're long slender calves,... How about a meaty Shorthorn bull?

I've seen many rich people buy ranches and stock them with longhorns so they'd have lots of writeoffs as well you know ;).
Don't get me wrong, I really do like the breed, they're gorgeous animals, but around here you take a heck of a hit at the sale barn on anything that's not red or black... we found out with our Roan Shorthorns.. maybe the market where you are is better though

You won't need to worry about the birthweights with longhorn cows.

There are good reasons to start with longhorn cows. One is the cost per cow initial investment. Another is they are easy keepers.

Also agree the only unmarketable calf is a dead calf.

cmay":2keynhye said:

There are good reasons to start with longhorn cows. One is the cost per cow initial investment. Another is they are easy keepers.

You can sell anything but at what price?? Around here longhorns bring about 50% of what other good cows and calves bring. LH Pair $800...good angus or brangus $1600-1800

TexasBred":cgufwk2v said:
cmay":cgufwk2v said:

You can sell anything but at what price?? Around here longhorns bring about 50% of what other good cows and calves bring. LH Pair $800...good angus or brangus $1600-1800
I don't think he's selling pairs, he's selling calves. We've gotten docked a little on the cross, but not that much. Especially when you figure in the input costs to purchase and maintain them, they figure out right with the big black cows.

heath":30hn9lxt said:
TexasBred":30hn9lxt said:
cmay":30hn9lxt said:

I don't think he's selling pairs, he's selling calves. We've gotten docked a little on the cross, but not that much. Especially when you figure in the input costs to purchase and maintain them, they figure out right with the big black cows.
In that case seems everyone would have a couple hundred of them. The cross might help a bit but the staight longhorn calves still bring about half what other calves bring. Anything with that skunk stripe down it's back is going to get docked unless you have a few calf ropers in the crowd.

You should get mostly solid colors from your Simmental/Longhorn cross. Should be a good cross and they'll bring as much as the other black or red generic calves or at least they would around here. I have a question for you people who are paying $1600 for your commercial cows. How many calves will you have to sell to pay for her and also how long will she get to stay in your herd? The Longhorn momma cow will produce calves twice as long as most British and Continentals. Everybody that I know who runs these say they have to send em to the grinder at about ten years old. My Longhorn cows are still working way up in their teens.

djinwa":wghhmwav said:
Cross breeder #1":wghhmwav said:

What does "gr8 X" mean?
Gr8 means great and y longhorns means why longhorns. it should be a good cross because the heifers will make good replacements and the steers will be ok. I just said why because i know that you make just as much money as with the bigger cows but i wouoldnt want anything like that because i dont want to work with it

Rustler9":2m39j5zu said:
You should get mostly solid colors from your Simmental/Longhorn cross. Should be a good cross and they'll bring as much as the other black or red generic calves or at least they would around here. I have a question for you people who are paying $1600 for your commercial cows. How many calves will you have to sell to pay for her and also how long will she get to stay in your herd? The Longhorn momma cow will produce calves twice as long as most British and Continentals. Everybody that I know who runs these say they have to send em to the grinder at about ten years old. My Longhorn cows are still working way up in their teens.

Roger,

Like I said, I wasn't trying to bad mouth longhorn cattle. Just like all breeds, I'm sure they have their place, but not around here. You are pretty close to me and I know what the market is around here, and they DO NOT do well.... PERIOD. Cheapest set of cattle I've ever seen sold at auction came through at the monthly sale in Pulaski a few years back. Heavy bred cows that barley broke $200. I hope they weren't yours! :shock:

I believe these are yours? http://huntsville.craigslist.org/grd/2985707923.html http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/2966842476.html

I see them listed all the time. Certainly the priciest longhorn cattle I have seen around here, but I assume they are seed stock?

I don't understand why people would think they are the only breed bred for longevity and efficiency. It's even more puzzling that some think the cow has to look "hard doing" (like the ones in the add) to be considered efficient. GOOD LORD, JUST BECAUSE A COW IF FAT DOES NOT MEAN SHE IS BEING PAMPERED!! :help:

Sorry about that rant, but a buddy and I were arguing the other day about this, so it still fresh on my mind.... :tiphat:

We have 32 Simmi & Gelb crossed cows range in age from 13-21 that are still weaning 600+ calves. Went to a sale 2 weeks ago and broken mouth cows with 6 week old calves on them sold from $1475 to $1750 a pair (20 pairs). Long Horn crosses here take a big hit, btu would think if you get solid color calves you would do much better than the loud colored ones.

Thanks for the inputs fellas. Just a hobby and my longhorn bull won't b ready till next year. My good friend has a nice registered semmintal he's givin me a heck of a deal. So I'd like try it .

Well I know for sure that longhorn, highland, corriente and their crosses take huge dock at sale barn. They are sure cheapest cattle around here. There was an exotic sale at the sale barn last month, lot of longhorns/highlands goes through and none of them made to $450. The only one cow that hit $1,300 was a purebred belted galloway and it was only one belted cow at that sale.

SSGenetics,
No you didn't see any of my cattle go thru the Pulaski sale barn. I too have seen Longhorns go thru there years ago pretty cheap. Longhorn prices are up too. My little bull calves selling as ropers are going for $475 to $560-these are in the 300 lb range. Yes those are some of my cows on Craigslist. I've sold several on there and several have brought inthe $1500.00 range from people who would come to look at them and wound up buying.
I know several people who are getting as much for their Charolais/Longhorn cross calves as any of the black calves selling here locally. A good friend of mine sold a yellow bull calf a couple of months ago at the Pulaski stock yars for $745.00. He paid $450.00 for his Longhorn commercial mama several years ago at the same sale yard. All of his calves sold for over $600 that day. He is paying for a 100 acre farm with nothing but Charolais/Longhorn cross calves.
I still didn't see an answer to my question but seems like everybody likes to bash. Good luck to all with whatever it is you like to raise.

Latest posts