simbrah, beefmaster, brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

buckaroo_bif":3q9ykfz0 said:
I never have been able to figure what all the Fuss is about hybrid vigor!?
So what! where is the better quality beef coming from???

bif
I agree with you bif. If they lack for quality they want the hybrid vigor. Just more tough meat getting to the plate faster. What a joke.

I'm not interested. If you are fine.

What about all this growth you always talk about? They say the simi. boys cut the heads off if they grow like an angus, so if you sell pounds why an angus?

I never have been able to figure alll the Fuss is about hybrid vigor!?
So what! where is the better quality beef coming from???

Maybe this will help:

Increase in the performance of animals due to crossbreeding (heterosis) occurs because the purebred breeds that are crossed are inferior in performance due to the effects of inbreeding. When purebred breeds are crossed, the effects of inbreeding are removed and performance increases.

smiley_abxe.gif

The way their fed plays a big role in the quality too. You say you have bulls with as good of growth, the others have bulls with "good" marbling.

Hey Trin,

But getting back to your original question of which breed to use, my biased opinion would be Simbrah. Depending on what your cows breed make up is, you can find a Simbrah with more or less Brahman blood to use on your cows. You will find that many Simbrah bulls have at least one star for tenderness and many are two star tenderness. We have not found that the marbling test is as accurate as the tenderness test. The bull we are using now has no stars for marbling but has sired steers that have graded choice :D . Also, many of the Simbrah bulls that are being produced today will be solid red or black and go back at least one generation being that same way. So, you should not have any wild colors that get a calf docked at the sale barn. I can say with confidence that Simbrah sired steers can make money in the feedlot and the heifer mates will be easy to sell because of their maternal aspects. If you would like any more information about Simbrah bulls please send me a PM and I can get some literature for you.

Thanks,

Matt

depends on the herd. hard to go wrong with beefmaster or brangus. simbrah aint bad either.

Ranchmgr- As with most selective choices, the decisions are determined by a variety of traits, conditions and geographical locations, and, probably the most impelling and substantive justification for breeding selections would be - personal preference - dictated by priorities determined by past experiences ((postitive AND negative), presuming facts in evidence and perhaps just plain unjustifiable prejudice and bias. Most of my selection processes are based on those factors, and I am the first to admit that I am not always correct, however - ANY breeding selection, purebred or crossbred, should be tenaciously based on the factors for which the breeding is primarily being chosen - with quality uppermost in the final analysis.

I like GOOD Beef Cattle - and Angus (Black or Red) usually fills that bill for me. That is not to say other breeds wouldn't fill the same bill, given the above precursors.

DOC HARRIS

do some research go and look at some different breeds. i like the simbrah, 5/8 sim x 3/8 brahman,i can't find any around me. because i have had sim cross cows and like them very much.
i use braford bulls 5/8 x 3/8 and eveyone fussed,now after they see the calves i have had two offers to buy my big bull this year. i am on my second bull and i am impressed.they are hard to find around me. i plan to use some sim/angus on down the road on my braford heifers, i don't want too much ear. i have some brangus and i always thought i liked them but i am not that impressed with them. depending on your cows pick to compliment.

Doc. Harris
I too like good cattle, working cattle. I am in no way saying angus are substandard, however pounds of beef pay my bills.
With this in mind I would not have a good feeling about myself if I advised someone to cover their cattle with any breed of bull not knowing what their cattle were.
The angus breed has increased its numbers drastically in the past several years. When this happens, in any species or breed, inferior genetics are prevelant do to the large increase in numbers- ie. poorer animals are kept and reproduced to gain numbers. When the fodder falls after this what is left on the plate is typically the good stock, ie. people keep the good and sell the bad for economic reasons. The fodder fell in some other breeds when they were to big, whatever the reason. This is not to say that there is no fodder within these other breeds, and it is a cyclic process, at the peak of a breeds popularity is when there is the most fodder. How much "fodder" is in the angus breed? I cannot answer that, however I can say their is a greater percent of fodder in the breeds that have had the purebred people economically challenged, due to some market demand, than the breeds that have.
with this in mind, I would look first at my bank account, then I would by the very best bull genetically I could afford. Due strictly to popularity, I can buy a genetically superior bull of a less popular breed cheaper, that will give me calves that should out perform those of the of the fodder bull I could purchase for the same amount of money. Best of all I will have sacrificed nothing for the simple pleasure of saying "I run an angus bull".

Shooting from the hip on cross bred cows of anytype i wouldnt use any crossbred bull on them to much inconsistency in the calve's aside from the color.i would rather clean the calve's up with a good straight bred bull. as far as the hybred vigor goes i want it in my F1'S cows not thruout the entire herd.but if i was forced to choose one it would be the brangus

ALACOWMAN":1j539eh7 said:
Shooting from the hip on cross bred cows of anytype i wouldnt use any crossbred bull on them to much inconsistency in the calve's aside from the color.i would rather clean the calve's up with a good straight bred bull. as far as the hybred vigor goes i want it in my F1'S cows not thruout the entire herd.but if i was forced to choose one it would be the brangus
:D Finally happened Cowman..we agree 100%...maternal hv is the cats meow..with an outcross to clean up the calves..just like you said. I agree 1000%

On the ? of what to use tho..your asking the wrong peopel..you need to be asking your market what they want..produce a quality product for your market..find out what sells best where your at. Then use the bull that best complements your cows to get that

On the ? of what to use tho..your asking the wrong peopel..you need to be asking your market what they want..produce a quality product for your market..find out what sells best where your at. Then use the bull that best complements your cows to get that

Well said, Tape!! :clap:

trin":1k7ym6vu said:
if you had to use one of these breeds on a crossbred herd and color did not matter, which one of these three breeds would you use if you wanted the best replacment heifers and have some good steers to sell at weaning.

Don't they dock you for ear in Ky??

hillbilly":2mu4kv2y said:
trin":2mu4kv2y said:
if you had to use one of these breeds on a crossbred herd and color did not matter, which one of these three breeds would you use if you wanted the best replacment heifers and have some good steers to sell at weaning.

Don't they dock you for ear in Ky??
yes but if i put this bull on cows with out ear it will cut the ear down a great bit and still have great heifers.

whats is your cowherd like?

your beefmaster calves will have more ear (1/4) than the brangus or simbrah (3/16) which probably isnt enough to tell a differance, really. beefmaster cows make great mothers and so do brangus provided they have good temperaments. brangus are very fertile and good milkers. simbrah are good too but may be too large, again depending on your cowherd.

Beefy":74zbjyc4 said:
whats is your cowherd like? mostly braunvieh and braunvieh cross. beefy you may think i am crazy but what i want to do is cross these cows with one of these breeds to get some real good heifers and once i get my numbers up with the braunviehcrossed with one of these breeds then bring in an angus bull. which of the breeds due you like the best out of those three. i also want good size steers to sell as well.

your beefmaster calves will have more ear (1/4) than the brangus or simbrah (3/16) which probably isnt enough to tell a differance, really. beefmaster cows make great mothers and so do brangus provided they have good temperaments. brangus are very fertile and good milkers. simbrah are good too but may be too large, again depending on your cowherd.

i like beefmaster and brangus the best. i would go with one of those two on braunvieh cows b/c of the british breeds they have in them. since you want to go back with angus, i would choose beefmaster b/c if you use brangus, you will just be putting more angus back into them and losing some heterosis. and thats not really a bad thing but doesnt sound to me like what y ou are going for. the only thing about using the beefmaster is that your calves will be less uniform in color than they would be out of a brangus. you will have some brindles, some browns, some reds, etc. but they will be excellent mothers and bred back to a growthy angus bull will produce some outstanding calves. you couldnt go wrong with brangus either though.

Latest posts