simbrah, beefmaster, brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
if you had to use one of these breeds on a crossbred herd and color did not matter, which one of these three breeds would you use if you wanted the best replacment heifers and have some good steers to sell at weaning.

trin":k2l6oeio said:
if you had to use one of these breeds on a crossbred herd and color did not matter, which one of these three breeds would you use if you wanted the best replacment heifers and have some good steers to sell at weaning.
Brangus

trin":1m9sjyfc said:
Brangus

DOC HARRIS

ranchmgr":2y0494uf said:
why would you use any of them on crossbred cows?
Ranchmgr- I agree with you in principle. The original post stated " If you HAD to use one of these three breeds, which ONE would you use?" By my own choice, I wouldn't use any of the three, but I just answered his question. MY choice would be a High Growth Registered Angus Bull.

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":r4vohdmn said:
ranchmgr":r4vohdmn said:
Ranchmgr- I agree with you in principle. The original post stated " If you HAD to use one of these three breeds, which ONE would you use?" By my own choice, I wouldn't use any of the three, but I just answered his question. MY choice would be a High Growth Registered Angus Bull.

DOC HARRIS
Doc:
We agree on principal,but with all due respect when it comes to breed I would argue a little.

ranchmgr":3u8zt8u0 said:
DOC HARRIS":3u8zt8u0 said:
ranchmgr":3u8zt8u0 said:

DOC HARRIS
Doc:
We agree on principal,but with all due respect when it comes to breed I would argue a little.
Boss- depending on the breed AND quality, I probably wouldn't argue with you very much! Would you care to elucidate??

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3sq4o8lp said:
ranchmgr":3sq4o8lp said:
DOC HARRIS":3sq4o8lp said:
ranchmgr":3sq4o8lp said:

DOC HARRIS
Doc:
Boss- depending on the breed AND quality, I probably wouldn't argue with you very much! Would you care to elucidate??

We are in the same thought process. Would base my bull choice on what the crossbred cows were made up of ie. angus base Sim bull, Char base angus or sim. etc what ever fit best for heterosis.

DOC HARRIS

ranchmgr":3g5dm27c said:
DOC HARRIS":3g5dm27c said:
DOC HARRIS":3g5dm27c said:

DOC HARRIS
Doc:

We are in the same thought process. Would base my bull choice on what the crossbred cows were made up of ie. angus base Sim bull, Char base angus or sim. etc what ever fit best for heterosis.

DOC HARRIS
And what does this mean.

BTW my choice would be sme as DOC HARRIS. A high growth Reg. Angus.

I concur> Brangus :cboy:

However first choice would be a high growth registered Angus

bif

la4angus":3becwoxj said:
ranchmgr":3becwoxj said:
DOC HARRIS":3becwoxj said:
DOC HARRIS":3becwoxj said:

DOC HARRIS
Doc:

DOC HARRIS
And what does this mean.

BTW my choice would be sme as DOC HARRIS. A high growth Reg. Angus.
What does what mean??
Why angus when sim. and char. bulls have more growth, and sim. has more to offer on the maternal side for the heifers.

ranchmgr":1xb8etgm said:
What does what mean??
Why angus when sim. and char. bulls have more growth, and sim. has more to offer on the maternal side for the heifers.
Some Angus have more growth than sim and char. Just as some sim and char have more growth than some Angus.So why don't you want to use the High Growth High Marbling Angus.

la4angus":1o9tw46m said:
ranchmgr":1o9tw46m said:
What does what mean??
Some Angus have more growth than sim and char. Just as some sim and char have more growth than some Angus.So why don't you want to use the High Growth High Marbling Angus.

Read what I said angus based use sim. or char. My reason, heterosis!! Hybrid vigor- Increased vigor or other superior qualities arising from the crossbreeding of genetically different plants or animals. Also called heterosis.

Sim. and or char. will yeild more lbs. at weaning. not my data, or opinion that you are up against. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AN055
Table 3. Additive genetic effects for individual and maternal components of calf growth-to-weaning, by breed

Breed
gI a
gM b

Angus

Brahman

Hereford

Simmental

Charolais

a The gI values represent the difference (lb) in weaning weight between Angus calves and specific-breed calves that is attributed to additive genetic effects. b The gM values represent the difference (lb) in effect of maternal ability on calf weaning weight between Angus cows and specific-breed cows that is attributed to additive genetic effects.

Anything else??

ranchmgr":274wwozd said:
la4angus":274wwozd said:
ranchmgr":274wwozd said:
What does what mean??

Read what I said angus based use sim. or char. My reason, heterosis!! Hybrid vigor- Increased vigor or other superior qualities arising from the crossbreeding of genetically different plants or animals. Also called heterosis.

Sim. and or char. will yeild more lbs. at weaning. not my data, or opinion that you are up against. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AN055
Table 3. Additive genetic effects for individual and maternal components of calf growth-to-weaning, by breed

Breed
gI a
gM b

Angus

Brahman

Hereford

Simmental

Charolais

a The gI values represent the difference (lb) in weaning weight between Angus calves and specific-breed calves that is attributed to additive genetic effects. b The gM values represent the difference (lb) in effect of maternal ability on calf weaning weight between Angus cows and specific-breed cows that is attributed to additive genetic effects.

Anything else??
So you like your heterosis. Big deal. I like quality. I don't have to read any more about your draft breeds.

la4angus":24eamp76 said:
ranchmgr":24eamp76 said:
la4angus":24eamp76 said:
ranchmgr":24eamp76 said:
What does what mean??

Breed
gI a
gM b

Angus

Brahman

Hereford

Simmental

Charolais

Anything else??
So you like your heterosis. Big deal. I like quality. I don't have to read any more about your draft breeds.
you should love this- from the same web-site, look closely at these comments about simmental bulls with comparable epd's to angus....While Simmental bulls with these EPDs may exist, they likely would be slaughtered due to inferior growth relative to the breed average.

If an Angus × Simmental rotation is desired, it would be even more difficult to select comparable bulls. A Simmental bull would need EPD values of -7.7 for birth weight (4 - 11.7), -14.8 for weaning weight (40 - 54.8), -29.4 for yearling weight (60 - 89.4), and -14.3 for milk (15 - 29.3) to match EPDs desired for the Angus. While Simmental bulls with these EPDs may exist, they likely would be slaughtered due to inferior growth relative to the breed average. As a compromise, Simmental bulls with the lowest frame scores and lower growth and milk values could be used in an attempt to produce cattle comparable to the Angus-sired calves.

ranchmgr":2uo92of7 said:
If an Angus × Simmental rotation is desired, it would be even more difficult to select comparable bulls. A Simmental bull would need EPD values of -7.7 for birth weight (4 - 11.7), -14.8 for weaning weight (40 - 54.8), -29.4 for yearling weight (60 - 89.4), and -14.3 for milk (15 - 29.3) to match EPDs desired for the Angus. While Simmental bulls with these EPDs may exist, they likely would be slaughtered due to inferior growth relative to the breed average. As a compromise, Simmental bulls with the lowest frame scores and lower growth and milk values could be used in an attempt to produce cattle comparable to the Angus-sired calves.
I'm not interested. If you are fine.

I never have been able to figure what all the Fuss is about hybrid vigor!?
So what! where is the better quality beef coming from???

bif

Latest posts