Sick Young Brangus Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

sound's better, that dehydration is the killin' part... and longer to recover.. once you get it under control he should keep gaining strength. and hopefully you might find the culprit

Sorry,but I do not know what all tests were done other than Fecal and Johnes, Johnes was the one the Doc was worried about.

I forgot to mention too that I put a Trace Mineral Salt block in with him last night which he keeps going back too and licking. My thoughts were that it the salt would make him thirsty and help him hold more of the water and help with the dehydration. Kind of like they used to give us salt pills when we worked outside construction when were young. This OK? My thinking right ? I know they are only trace minerals in it but I'm sure he could use that too. Let me know.
Thx
Jeff

Why has your vet not considered coccidiosis? The calf is the right age to be at high risk for it. Take a fecal sample in and have it looked at under a microscope... provided your vet is good enough to even identify the organism.

If it is coccidiosis, penicillin isn't going to touch it. Albon is a sulfa drug... can be used but my book suggests using it in combination with Corid.

The Penicillin is for secondary infections that might occur in his weakend immune state, like Pnuemonia and as for Albon , I am no Vet by any means but I do think I read, when boning up on this Coccidiosis thing, that is was treated with Sulfa drugs. Perhaps I misread, but I have been trying to learn all I can and been pouring over material in the process, maybe I should review what I thought I learned. Too, I'm still beating my brains out on how he got it since it primarily is a bird disease. I have Muscovy Ducks wandering about and the Cow Birds are thick too.
I can only assume that he ate some grass that had infected dropping on it.
None of my other cows show any signs.
He just got lucky, I guess.

You're right. I pulled out my textbook... evidently relying on memory isn't a good idea. :oops: I'll edit the original post.

Sulfas are occasionally used, to quote the book, "although various sulfa drugs were the first treatments for coccidiosis in animals, they are not used at present except to treat small groups or individual calves so sick they may not be eating or drinking well enough to ingest therapeutic dosages of drugs added to their feed or water." Mentions that "when sulfa drugs are used for treatment, it is beneficial to treat simultaneously with amprolium [Corid] at treatment levels."

However, coccidiosis is not an avian disease... Eimeria bovis and E. zuernii are the major pathogenic species. It's very common among cattle in confined lots and/or large groups.

Thank you for your interest. I'm sure there are other things I could/should do for him, and any/all the info I can get helps!
When I got home from work last night at 11p (after yet another double shift) I had to chase him around the lot and finally ended up running him up into the chute for his Pennecillin. There wasn't exactly dust flying from his hooves but he was moving at a good gait. Stronger, yes, better, it sure seems so. I'll be home for 3 days after today and will be able to observe and help him all I can.
I will pick up a bag of Minerals today on the way home.
And speak with the Vet about additional Med's such as Corid.
Jeff

co-rid is a good treatment for coccidiosis mentioned in an earlier post. i used to raise show pigeons when a youngin. i think one of the causes of coccidiosis in cattle is contaminated bird droppings which bred the rule of no fowl in the barn, but it has been it has been a long time, please correct me if i am wrong.

Just wanted everyone to know that my Bull is definately on the road to recovery. Been a week since he went to the Vet and a little more since I solicited help here. I thought I lost him. Administered his final Med's last Saturday.
Surely, he needs to put back on the weight which will take a while but he is back to his old self demeanor wise, Has a voracious apetite, and no longer has any hint of the terrible diarrhea. He gets stonger everyday too.
I learned alot during this ordeal.

Thx Again to all that replied to my posts.

Jeff

That's good. The best way to learn is from experience and the advice of others. Sounds like you got the best of both worlds.

Latest posts