Sick Yearling Bull - Long Read

Help Support CattleToday:

OleScout

Reaction score
Yearling Balancer Bull, Bought at 11 months old about 1200 lbs. Kept him in the lot on free choice hay and 3 scoops 12% twice a day for about a month so he can get use to the place and have meet and greet with the herd and old bull (2 1/2) through the fence. Turn him out with the herd. Basically they play nice, some pushing and shoving but actually less than I expected. Week to 10 days later I notice the young bull walking in big circles through the herd. His gait on the front end looks odd. Reminds me of a Paso Fino horse. Call my Dad, cow man from way back, no idea. Bull doesn't stop moving unless he puts his head against something. Finally gets dark and he lays down with the herd. Decide to wait a see how he is tomorrow. Get home from work, go check the bull and he is GONE. Everybody else is here but he can't be found. Neighbors place is a huge thicket, since i've checked every other direction decide that must be where he is. Next day get 2 of the young local cowboys to go in there and find him. Locate him about 1/2 mile away. He wants to fight and has no interest in coming home. He has a nose ring from previous life as a show calf. Young cowboys snap 2 lead ropes to the ring and man handle him home. Cowboy doesn't think he can see. Get him in the side shed and I think he can see but just doesn't care. he is wobbly and walking over feed troughs and water barrels but doesn't walk into walls or gates. Does only stop when his head is against something. He will eat but continues to walk in place on the frontend while at the trough.
Call the Vet. Vet comes and says he has pneumonia and the bacteria in his lungs has attacked his brain. Gives him a $$$ 15 day shot. Not sure what it was. Vet says " I'll be back in 4 days but if he dies call me so I won't waste a trip". Next couple days he seems a little better but is still wobbly and looks extremely gant, still eating but has exaggerated side to side head swing when he walks. 4th day the Vet comes back, another shot, 4 day shot, not sure what it was either. Next day he is more wobbly and off his feed. After about 2 days he starts back eating and is now back on full feed and is getting better wobbly wise every day, still has the wild head swing. I think we have turned the corner and he has a chance. Vet says this will be a long recovery.
I'm 55 and have been around cattle all my life but have never seen one do like this.
Just wondering if any of you had and if i can hope for full recovery? He was really nice before all this started.

PS - Vet thinks all this was stress induced from being turned in with the herd and the less than happy greeting he got from the old bull.

First off I'd be looking for noxious weeds on your place that he didn't have on his.
I assume your feed is mold free and dry

I'd go with whatever the Vet says. I always listen to mine. Sound like symptoms related to brain inflammation. I had one diagnosed with Listerellosis way back. Acted similar to what you describe. Good luck.

fitz

Bull is much better. Bucking and jumping when I went to feed him last night. Let the cowdog puppy play with him an little to bring him in the barn. I still think I see a little problem in the way he is moving on his right back leg but I pleased with the progress. Really putting his weight back on fast.

Latest posts