Sick Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer07

Reaction score
Well just fishing for some advice here, asked the vet a couple differant times and he cant tell me either. I got two calves of concern - the first one has been sick for a couple monthes already. He breathes hard and sounds really raspy all the time. The vet told me he though he had some swelling in his throat and that if I gave him Prediff 2X it would take care of it. It hasnt helped and my calf is starting to get sicker and lose weight. He eats good and was acting very healthy/normal until here recently, hes been acting more and more under the weather. Any advice would be great.
The second one just got sick over night, I went out this morning and he looked like he was dead, very bloated looking. I went up to him to double check and he was still alive, but has huge gas-like bubbles protruding from his hind legs, hips, and stomach areas. Ive never seen a calf this bad before. I was talking with a friend and he questions black-leg. Dont know much about black-leg but has the symptoms he was talking about. Not sure what to do right about now, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As for the bloated calf with air pockets on the legs, thats a new one on me. I'd find myself a real vet before quick. The other calf with the wheezing I'd guess BRD or pneumonia. Treat with Baytril or Nuflor. I prefer Nuflor but that's up to you. A month is a long time to have one sick. He probably already has some irrepirable lung damage. Good luck and let us know about the air pockets.

The second one just got sick over night, I went out this morning and he looked like he was dead, very bloated looking. I went up to him to double check and he was still alive, but has huge gas-like bubbles protruding from his hind legs, hips, and stomach areas. Ive never seen a calf this bad before. I was talking with a friend and he questions black-leg. Dont know much about black-leg but has the symptoms he was talking about. Not sure what to do right about now, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This one got me thinking. I think your friend was right. The signs of blk leg are lameness and swelling in the limbs. Temps as high as 106, swollen area painfull to touch, later swelling is cold and not painfull. When palpated area has the perception of air. From begining to end 12- 36 hours to death.

Scotty

Hi Everyone, sorry it took so long to reply. I'm only a teen and between school chores and work I dont have much time to spend online.
The calf that was very bloated died Friday night - we had it posted to see what was up and the vet said that he died from massive kidney stones. All of his urine was going underneath of his skin and he was pretty much rotting from the inside out. The vet also mentioned he's never seen it in a calf as young as he was.
As far as the other one goes, I will give Nuflor and/or Bayril a try. I believe in dairy the Baytril is illegal, but I think we have some Nuflor around.
Thanks everyone for your replys

Water belly. I don't know if it is illegal in all dairy mabe just ones being milked.

Scotty

You might be right, i just know that when the inspector is here they frown upon that. We've used it in our calves before and I know it works
Anyhow, gotta go school starts in 20 minutes :(

Baytril is illegal to have anywhere on a dairy. I believe it is just illegal for use on female dairy cattle of breeding age/any dairy heifers. If you have a dairy steer calf you shouldn't have problems as that's just like a beef calf. We're talking slaughter withdrawal times here for steers - dairy heifers/cows they're worried about milk withdrawal.

I had a older calf once that had blackleg, it died, had bubbles underneathe the skin, the rest were given IM doses of penicillen for prevention, this worked, then a vaccination program of Blackleg/IBRBVD was set up, no probs since.

For first calf, sounds to me like a respiratory infection of some sort, I would try Nuflor and Banamine, that combo works for me especially in baby calves, also Excenel works good also.

Hope I was somewhat helpful GMN

Latest posts