Show me your herd!

Help Support CattleToday:

Rotation day for this Spring Herd. Mostly black angus cows with a few oddballs. Hereford bulls went in today with them for 65 days.

IMG_2428-XL.jpg

IMG_2431-XL.jpg

IMG_2429-XL.jpg

IMG_2430-XL.jpg

I wish I could, they are all in my scrub block, the old tin mine 600 acres next door which is where I put them after weaning the calves. The problem is we are just so wet here I can only get my quad bike in there and it is very limited how much I can get around there and I only see a few of them when I can find them. I just hope they are all OK, lots of bog holes, trees falling over everywhere. I'm sort of resigned to losing a couple, they have another month to go in there, lots of feed at home here but I don't know what affect the cows will have trampling the waterlogged paddocks during winter and no growth so I want to give them another month in there but I may weaken.

Ken

Moved a Fall herd this evening. Was pretty hot today so it was late in the evening. My oldest herd made up of mostly angus cows and a few other skittles. Will preg check them Wednesday and wean their calves to background till a preconditioned calf sale in August. Putting in some annual pastures for the calves to start grazing in 2-3 weeks.

IMG_2455-XL.jpg

IMG_2457-XL.jpg

IMG_2456-XL.jpg

Yep, when I 1st started off here things were a bit tough, we were in drought and the paddocks were very run down. I always thought it was a good sign if they took the time to lie down and chew their cud. At least they didn't have to continually scrounge for every blade of grass as it appeared.

Ken

Latest posts