Show calves

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB":18h5t9j3 said:
AAOK-

The first calf pictured can be registered, not the second. We would be able to compete in local shows as purebred braunvieh but there would not be any other competition. Was thinking of showing in an open or crossbred class so we would be competing more with other animals. Why would we not be able to compete with other crossbreeds? IMO a good animal is a good animal. We have some pretty darn good black cattle in my part of the country, on our farm included, but I would take either of the two pictured heifers over nearly any of them. I look at these heifers and see two good future cows, what are typical judges seeing or looking for that I'm not?

Rob,
I'll speak from personal experience at many, many shows, knowing very little as to how it will apply to your area. As a Braunvieh, I really like the red heifer. Judged against other Braunvieh heifers, I would think she could do very well. You say she would not have any other competition. Most shows do require a certain number to make a breed, usually 3 or 5 head. If you face that scenario, would she be thrown into the All Other Breeds? If so, and you have a Charolais, a Maine-Anjou, and a Saler of equal quality to your heifer, the braunvieh would be placed dead last by the vast majority of Judges.
This is why I advise you shop around the Show Circuit you might travel, and see how many Branvieh shows you will have to enter.

aplusmnt hit the nail right on the head. The judges would also see your two heifers as good future cows, but not clean, extended front, straight bellied, smooth shouldered, square butted, show ring heifers like they want to use.

Latest posts