Show calves

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
What are some desired characteristics for a show calf? My daughter is planning on showing this heifer pictured below for her FFA project. Any comments?

[/url]http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/2841/cat/500/ppuser/3467

Here's the picture.

ROB

101_0112.jpg

Looks like a solid heifer, that should turn into a nice brood cow. As for show, the first thing that will get noticed is the extra navel and the extra skin in the neck area, which takes away from her femininity. But altogether i think she could a nice FFA project. Is this the first time for showing?

Yes. Ought to be an experience. But it gives me the chance to spend more time with daughter...that makes it worthwhile.

ROB

Rob:

Pictures are deceiving, but the smooth underline and cleaner front on the second heifer are nice; however the extension and angle of the neck on the first heifer are better for the showring. What age are these girls? We show a fair amount and sell Herefords for the show ring, if you want to send me an IM I would be happy to help in any way I can. You already know the most important part of the entire thing, spending time and bonding with your daughter.

ROB":3vqf30sz said:
Here's the picture.

ROB

Rob, I have very, very little experience with show cattle, but it looks to me like this heifer is a good prospect. Very nice topline, good heart girth, good legs, adeqate flank, she looks pretty darned good.

I like the first heifer better. She is longer necked and appears to be smoother in the way her shoulders lay in. Since I have Brahman influenced cattle a little neck leather and navel do not bother me. Besides I wear a size 14 boot - need more leather.

Cowgirl -

First heifer pictured was born on 3-24-06.
Second heifer pictured was born on 3-19-06.

Weighed the second heifer pictured on 7-3-06, 420# (83# b.w.)
ADG of 3.18#/day.

ROB

Rob,
First of all, can these heifers be registered as Braunvieh? Secondly, will you have enough Braunvieh in your area to qualify as a breed in your area shows? You don't want to be dragging a good Braunvieh heifer and be tossed into the AOB or Commercial breed classes because, you won't be able to compete. I don't want to rain or your parade before the band plays, but that's just the way it is. You need to do some homework within the area you intend to exhibit. The County Extension office, and your daughter's Ag Ed instructor will know the answers. I will PM with further information.

You need to jump over to the Show Board posts also to gather up some good information.

AAOK-

The first calf pictured can be registered, not the second. We would be able to compete in local shows as purebred braunvieh but there would not be any other competition. Was thinking of showing in an open or crossbred class so we would be competing more with other animals. Why would we not be able to compete with other crossbreeds? IMO a good animal is a good animal. We have some pretty darn good black cattle in my part of the country, on our farm included, but I would take either of the two pictured heifers over nearly any of them. I look at these heifers and see two good future cows, what are typical judges seeing or looking for that I'm not?

ROB":1p06kbfx said:
AAOK-

The first calf pictured can be registered, not the second. We would be able to compete in local shows as purebred braunvieh but there would not be any other competition. Was thinking of showing in an open or crossbred class so we would be competing more with other animals. Why would we not be able to compete with other crossbreeds? IMO a good animal is a good animal. We have some pretty darn good black cattle in my part of the country, on our farm included, but I would take either of the two pictured heifers over nearly any of them. I look at these heifers and see two good future cows, what are typical judges seeing or looking for that I'm not?

Not to answer for AAOK, but my take on this would be that a Judge looks for certain qualities in a Show Heifer. As a General rule one of these qualities is clean fronted.

Some animals like say Brangus do not have very clean fronts. But when Brangus is judged against other Brangus she is not knocked for this since it is a breed characteristic.

But if she gets thrown in with other breeds (AOB). Then she will be judged up against the ideal pattern of a show heifer and the extra skin of a Brangus does not fit into this. So you would have an up hill battle right from the start.

Do not know much about braunvieh but I was thinking they might have some of these same problems. Ones I have seen are general not as clean fronted as some of the other breeds.

aplusmnt":22qsg7b9 said:
ROB":22qsg7b9 said:
AAOK-

Not to answer for AAOK, but my take on this would be that a Judge looks for certain qualities in a Show Heifer. As a General rule one of these qualities is clean fronted.

Some animals like say Brangus do not have very clean fronts. But when Brangus is judged against other Brangus she is not knocked for this since it is a breed characteristic.

But if she gets thrown in with other breeds (AOB). Then she will be judged up against the ideal pattern of a show heifer and the extra skin of a Brangus does not fit into this. So you would have an up hill battle right from the start.

Do not know much about braunvieh but I was thinking they might have some of these same problems. Ones I have seen are general not as clean fronted as some of the other breeds.
Very well answered :clap:

aplusmnt-

Thanks, thats the type of response I was looking for. I know what to look for in a breeding animal/carcass animal (at least I think I do) but have no idea what makes up an ideal show calf.

ROB