Should I be concerned?

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow":skvxsqhb said:
I had a similar experience a few years ago. Bought a couple of bulls from a registered outfit. They looked great when I brought them home. 60 days out with the cows and they looked awful. They never got over it. I believe young bulls are pushed too hard-too much grain-and it does irreparable damage to their liver. They look more like a cow than a bull. I sent mine to town and bought from someone else.

We also had a similiar experience years ago when we bought a bull at a reg sale. They had pushed the young bulls and they looked great. But 2 months later he'd lost all his condition and had lost weight and really looked sorry. We didn't feed grain since it was summer and pastures were good. The cows were all fat. Since then we are careful to buy from breeders that are "grass genetics" and don't feed alot of grain. Would much rather buy a bull in his working clothes.

I would also take him to the vet, tell him everything, and hope he is just run down. It does take 2-3 times as long to get them back to good condition as it takes to lose it and winter pastures make it harder. Good luck, hope you get an answer soon.

I have kept up with all the vaccines and dewormer, he was wormed before we loaded him to bring him here. Is it possible to still get them even though he has been wormed? I hope he isn't sick and just ran down I can deal with that better than an illness. Might have pushed the little guy to hard.

Yes.
When they get droppy ears and pant there are some respiratory issues that probably started two or three weeks ago.
I would track his temp and give long lasting oxycycline per directions. Plus banamine and a sick pen if he is not eating.
This kind do not always respond well. Don't stop treating until he is eating and moving well, or... Good luck.

P.S. We had 2 vets. The good one retired... The other is below average. Do some checking before you pick one. They are not a silver bullet.

True Grit Farms":1wbnndtf said:
It's definitely a good idea to get a vet to check him out. But your not going to see a noticeable difference in the bulls appearance in two weeks on feed. If it took a bull 2 months to get run down, it'll take him 6 months to get back.
Bingo. He looks to me like he was on a feed ration to make him look special for a sale. Without an adaption period to a cooler diet he would melt pretty uch. Throw in him doing his job breeding and it's just that much more of a load on him

I think you just need time and feed but get him checked out by all means. I think he is a nice bull, probably just not a good doer especially if he has woman on his mind. He wouldn't have been long off his mother when you got him so yes he was probably fed a bit but then the excitement of being put out with the females, he probably took his job to heart, I know I would have at his age.

Ken

Stocker Steve":1ckymru7 said:
When they get droppy ears and pant there are some respiratory issues that probably started two or three weeks ago.
I would track his temp and give long lasting oxycycline per directions. Plus banamine and a sick pen if he is not eating.
Steve... Do you have luck treating respiratory with Oxytetracycline?
I always grab Zactran or Nuflor for respiratory... Oxytet sure would be cheaper option if it works.

Son of Butch":2xx54ewo said:
Steve... Do you have luck treating respiratory with Oxytetracycline?
I always grab Zactran or Nuflor for respiratory... Oxytet sure would be cheaper option if it works.

Sometimes...
I think there is a soup of **** in the lungs and you need to culture it to really know what med(s) are most effective this year. The bugs keep evolving.
I also use Zactran for run of the mill shipping fever. They seem to snap back within a couple days and you don't have to keep putting them into the chute.
I have been told the slow moving droppy ear stuff has a viral component (which meds don't effect much), and you are trying to prevent pneumonia from taking hold and going for the kill. So checking temp (to see if it has gone bacterial hot and you need to upgrade meds) and multiple treatments are needed to stay ahead of potential relapses.
I think the sick pen with a stress lick tub and banimine are a key part for some calves. They just won't push up to the bunk and it is hard to get better if you only nibble a little hay.
Weather is another wild card. Temp swings like we had this week really stress struggling calves. Cold shakes um and warmth takes um. I put pee wees into a cold but mostly enclosed building to reduce the temp swings.
I think housing and handling are as important as meds. I think the stress of moving this bull around pushed him over the edge.

My brother bought a bunk fed "nice" bull. Went to grass and girls. Starved to death in four months. Hard lesson learned.

I called all the vets in the area and none can see him today and with Christmas being Sunday I can't get him in until Monday. I checked on him this morning and he seems to be doing better as far as energy goes. He came running up to the food trough. He ate good, this is him this morning

Hunting326":5m74a0qr said:
I called all the vets in the area and none can see him today and with Christmas being Sunday I can't get him in until Monday. I checked on him this morning and he seems to be doing better as far as energy goes. He came running up to the food trough. He ate good, this is him this morning

I personally don't think he has been getting enough to start gaining yet. needs at least 2% of his weight.

I gave him about 25lbs a day and the trough is licked clean almost every morning should put more out? I don't want to feed him too much out of the bag because it doesn't look like he is eating a whole lot of hay.

TennesseeTuxedo":qla3a46w said:
Hunting326":qla3a46w said:
I gave him about 25lbs a day and the trough is licked clean almost every morning should put more out? I don't want to feed him too much out of the bag because it doesn't look like he is eating a whole lot of hay.

25 lbs is plenty. IMHO

your thinking he only weighs 1200#

I have no clue what he weighs. I just figured that was a good starting point without dumping the whole bag in the trough.

Hunting326":22bnweld said:

Why don't you send this picture to the folks you bought him from? Tell them your story and ask what they think. I've had bulls melt but nothing like this one.

Hunting326":3c6jhd16 said:

I assume by the sound of it. This bull feed is a mix of grains with plenty of corn in it. Probably around 14 percent.
I personally think 25 pounds is to much. I would feed him around 7 pounds of a good cottonseed cake 24 to 30 percent protein and make sure he has good hay.
Your trying to grow muscle not fat.

It seems most probable there are two issues:

1. If he's drooling panting and droopy, you need to get his temp and treat for respiratory. Has that been done?

2. As already stated, he probably just needs time. You don't gain it all back in a couple weeks.

Final note:

I'm not familiar with that feed. How hot is it? Any chance you could acidify him by going to 25 lbs right away and make your problems worse or did you ramp it up to that?