Should I be concerned?

Help Support CattleToday:

This is why I don't sell people yearling bulls. They wreck them and blame the breeder. Reading between the lines it sounds like he was with cows more than 75 days and more than 15 cows. Back off on the feed a little and keep him on a steady gain.

He was with 15 open cows for a 75 days then went to a pasture with another yearling bull separated from his cows, stayed in there for a few weeks before his bull kept getting out so we let both of them out into the pasture with his 10 bred cows. He has been getting feed everyday since I pulled him from my cows. He has only been at my house with a heifer for two weeks. Like I said I am totally new to this and I am not blaming anyone, I just want him to be alright.

Something I noticed in all the pictures you posted, even the "before", is that he looks pretty sucked up in the forerib. In my personal opinion, that is a red flag for a hard doing animal. The person who sold him fed him up enough to hide it if you weren't looking for it, but some work and reduced caloric intake brought it out in a big way. If he gets checked by a vet and gets healthy, it will be interesting to see how he comes back. My guess is he will never look quite the same. We had one we purchased do the exact same thing, and he had no illness to contribute to his poor condition. We kept some of his heifers in the replacement pen, but they will be watched closely for that underline trait, and all of his bull calves got the knife. He himself, was shipped....I couldn't get condition I liked back on him for a Wisconsin winter without going broke, and I don't like feeding ugly cattle. He was an expensive lesson learned, but now I am very critical of that forerib in breeding stock.

Hunting326":20ccxvum said:
Like I said I am totally new to this and I am not blaming anyone, I just want him to be alright.

So, does that mean you have taken his temp and administered antibiotics if needed?

I would also worm him again and use a different type of wormer but i agree with the others, he looks like he has some kind of infection. Also it looks like he has fly tags in his ears. Those need to come out while you have him in the chute. Try not to leave them in after fly season is over.

I have not taken his temp, I was going to get some help to do it because I don't have a chute but I canceled it to get him to the vet not knowing I wouldn't be able to get him in there.

This is a tough time of year to get anything done. You are aware that there might be a problem and are doing your best, keep it up and everything will work out.

I know a pour on is less effective but I'll get some on him. I'm doing what I can, I let someone talk me into all this and I feel I bit off more than I can chew at the moment. I appreciate the help and advice.

The only other thing I can think of until you get him to a vet or in a chute is to try & feed him Sustain III boluses. Instead of a balling gun you can break them in half & hand-feed with cubes or put them in a bowl with cubes (or whatever you're currently feeding him), maybe pour a little molasses over them. We actually gave them to one of our bulls today with early foot rot & generally have good success.
https://www.drugs.com/vet/sustain-iii-cattle-bolus.html

TCRanch":2t37nqk5 said:
The only other thing I can think of until you get him to a vet or in a chute is to try & feed him Sustain III boluses. Instead of a balling gun you can break them in half & hand-feed with cubes or put them in a bowl with cubes (or whatever you're currently feeding him), maybe pour a little molasses over them. We actually gave them to one of our bulls today with early foot rot & generally have good success.
https://www.drugs.com/vet/sustain-iii-cattle-bolus.html

Edit to add: this is again assuming a potential respiratory illness.

Boot Jack Bulls":3cgtavm4 said:
Something I noticed in all the pictures you posted, even the "before", is that he looks pretty sucked up in the forerib. In my personal opinion, that is a red flag for a hard doing animal. The person who sold him fed him up enough to hide it if you weren't looking for it, but some work and reduced caloric intake brought it out in a big way. If he gets checked by a vet and gets healthy, it will be interesting to see how he comes back. My guess is he will never look quite the same. We had one we purchased do the exact same thing, and he had no illness to contribute to his poor condition. We kept some of his heifers in the replacement pen, but they will be watched closely for that underline trait, and all of his bull calves got the knife. He himself, was shipped....I couldn't get condition I liked back on him for a Wisconsin winter without going broke, and I don't like feeding ugly cattle. He was an expensive lesson learned, but now I am very critical of that forerib in breeding stock.

Can you explain what you mean? A yearling seems young to put to work on 15 cows but I'm no expert. Here's a question nobody else has asked though. What kind of grass was he on at the farm you bought him from and what kind was on the two places he was working. Also what kind of hay is he getting?

Hunting326":2e0qqnyn said:
I have not taken his temp, I was going to get some help to do it because I don't have a chute but I canceled it to get him to the vet not knowing I wouldn't be able to get him in there.

This was lesson #1 for me when I started raising cattle - if you can't work them, you will lose them. I realize some folks (including me when I started out) are not able to do so, but it should be a goal if you are going to stay in the business. You need to be able to work the cattle - often by yourself.

angus9259":oijxk10p said:
Hunting326":oijxk10p said:

This was lesson #1 for me when I started raising cattle - if you can't work them, you will lose them. I realize some folks (including me when I started out) are not able to do so, but it should be a goal if you are going to stay in the business. You need to be able to work the cattle - often by yourself.

Great post. I'm guilty as well.

Craig Miller":btwsuomj said:
Boot Jack Bulls":btwsuomj said:

Can you explain what you mean? A yearling seems young to put to work on 15 cows but I'm no expert. Here's a question nobody else has asked though. What kind of grass was he on at the farm you bought him from and what kind was on the two places he was working. Also what kind of hay is he getting?

Craig, what part of my post are you wondering about? If it is in regard to the fore rib issue, the depth of fore rib is a measure of capacity. It should be proportionate to the rest of the measures of the animal, and also grow with the rest of the animal. In my experience, a pencil gutted bull will produce daughters that are the same, and that doesn't work for me. As far as work for a yearling bull, about 15 head for a well cared for yearling is what I would consider max. I think that the OP's bull didn't have the right phenotype to start with, and hasn't had it easy since then. He may be able to get some bloom back on him, but one can't expect drastic changes in his actual phenotype at that age.

I use doc Stevenson in kirbyville if I absolutely have to have a vet .. I usually put my Bulls with the cows at about 18 months old .. they do get pulled down a little but I feed them for 6 months out of the year .. and run them with the cows the other 6 months .. I don't build mine up like they look when you buy them. In my opinion that's too fat .. if he's not wheezing or doesn't have a temp ..he probably just needs time .. our grass isn't any good after August so even though he's eating he might not have gotten enough protein..

JSCATTLE":akn83xdf said:
.. if he's not wheezing or doesn't have a temp ..he probably just needs time .. our grass isn't any good after August so even though he's eating he might notherwise have gotten enough protein..

That's been my thinking through this thread. If he's not coughing, wheezing, snotty-nosed, lethargic, droopy eared, running a fever and he's eating well, drinking, grazing (on whatever is available) and moving around it sounds more like he's been drawn down and its going to take a couple/few months to get him back. BUT without a vet actually looking at him, it is hard to give a definitive diagnosis.

Couple of observations:
1) This young bull (that had been fed well) was turned out on 15 cows and has lost weight. He may have been standing in knee deep green grass but it does not have a lot of nutrients in it. Orange, TX average rainfall is 64.21 inches per year. A yearling bull needs a little help to keep up, especially as he sheds his teeth.
2). Our weather has been screwy. Big temperature swings. Animals that are stressed are more susceptible to sickness. I know that when running yearling stocker calves, when the day time and night time temperature spread is more than 30 degrees we doctor more animals.

There has been a good bit of good suggestions in this thread. If you are going to own cattle you need facilities to work them (I have worked too many cattle in a trailer because of a lack of facilities). You need to find and develop a good working relationship with a veterinarian in which you have confidence. Work with the vet to develop a herd health program tailored to your operation based on his/her observation of what is going on in the area. Learn about the forages in your area and when/if they need to be supplemented.

Latest posts