Should I be concerned....?

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
Steer almost ready for butcher (date set for Jan 7th). This guy is thick and ready for butcher I can tell you that! He gets grass hay and a 12% livestock finisher. But he constantly has loose stool. He was dewormed back in July with Ivermectin pour on. He is doing excellent other than a really messy hind end... I have cut him way back on the livestock finisher and added probiotics and nothing has changed. I'm starting to think he's just a messy guy!

You do not want to lower his grain intake. If he loses any weight at all - it will be marbling first. Last to go on - first to take off.
Maybe your hay is too high in protein? or, it might just be his system. If he is eating well and gaining - don't change. Keep him GAINING.

You do not want to lower his grain intake. If he loses any weight at all - it will be marbling first. Last to go on - first to take off.
Maybe your hay is too high in protein? or, it might just be his system. If he is eating well and gaining - don't change. Keep him GAINING.
Thanks Jeanne! You are right, I didn't think about how the fat is the last to go on, so it makes sense it would be first to come off. I was thinking that grass hay would be better than alfalfa for his loose stools. He's gaining really good, he's a big boy. A little over a month left till harvesting so I'll keep the grain going good. Thanks again!

Latest posts