should hunting on sunday be allowed?

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
http://www.wric.com/story/24198099/lega ... opic-issue

RICHMOND (WRIC) - There's a fresh push to legalize hunting on Sundays in Virginia and it could be a hot topic in the upcoming General Assembly session.

Opponents of the law say it will fail to gain traction, but proponents say they have the wind in their sails and with a new partner they say this could be the year.

"If we want the general population to support hunting then we need to understand that they want to be able to use the woods one day without having hunters out there," says Kirby Burch of the Virginia Hunting Dog Alliance.

Burch is a self-proclaimed hunter, but says six days a week is enough for him.

"A lot of individuals believe that a day of rest is needed for everything, whether it's for wildlife or for biblical reasons."

He also says hunters in Virginia are in the vast minority of the population. He says no Sunday hunting is a compromise that many hunters are willing to make.

"It's inappropriate for the state to not allow one particular day for them to peruse what is Virginia's heritage," says Scott Reed, board member of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland fisheries.

He agrees hunters are the vast minority, and says fewer and fewer kids are getting involved because of limitations such as the Sunday hunting ban. We will lose support of the broad spectrum of the public if we continue to push for Sunday hunting. It's really all about the kids and getting them out into the woods and in the fields and in the marshes. The single greatest impediment to recruitment and retention of new hunters is access and opportunity."

According to a January poll done by Roanoke College, 48 percent of those surveyed say they support hunting on Sunday while 39 percent opposed.

Both sides say they are dug in and ready to battle come the 2014 General Assembly Session.

I think it should be allowed... I think alot of big churches here are pushing for no hunting because the pews will be bare.

Alot of times I have been in church and hunted on Sundays, I also know alot of good folks that have jobs where they don't get much time off and there only time to hunt is on Weekends and Sundays, i'm pretty sure that not every one of them is going to he!! for missing a couple Sundays at church a year.

denvermartinfarms":2241r245 said:
Alot of times I have been in church and hunted on Sundays, I also know alot of good folks that have jobs where they don't get much time off and there only time to hunt is on Weekends and Sundays, i'm pretty sure that not every one of them is going to he!! for missing a couple Sundays at church a year.

This is true most people work M-F only have 1 day to go that sucks.. I hunt everyday most of the time these last few days I been posting I worked since its raining and I don't dog hunt in the rain and decided to work and be productive for a few days. I will start back on my job " Hunting " again tomorrow till either crappy weather or exhausted. I honestly probably wouldn't hunt on sundays because I would have already hunted 5-6 days a week. I want others to have opportunity and we gotta get the deer population under control.

Never knew anything like that existed. Everybody in my Sunday school class hunts. We all make it to the woods, and church. We go to the night service literally as we are. Many times in our hunting clothes.

Bigfoot":1uy9f7f8 said:
Never knew anything like that existed. Everybody in my Sunday school class hunts. We all make it to the woods, and church. We go to the night service literally as we are. Many times in our hunting clothes.
va is a very heavily influenced bible belt state.. I mean its against the law to have sex in any position other than missionary here.

denvermartinfarms":1kwneuod said:
The more I learn, I'm finding out I'm in about the most lax place in the country on hunting regulations.

lol so are your sex regulations more strict than va's :lol2:

skyhightree1":2m3k9dyw said:
Bigfoot":2m3k9dyw said:
va is a very heavily influenced bible belt state.. I mean its against the law to have sex in any position other than missionary here.
Nothing wrong with being heavy on the bible, but some common sense can go along way with understanding it.

skyhightree1":256y9yyr said:
denvermartinfarms":256y9yyr said:
The more I learn, I'm finding out I'm in about the most lax place in the country on hunting regulations.

lol so are your sex regulations more strict than va's :lol2:
I have no idea, I'm not married. But I do know enough to say that in Arkansas they defiantly are :lol2:

Unfortunately, Here those people that make the laws do not see it that way. I hope it passes. I wish our whole hunting system was revamped its crazy boy hunt 1 month blk powder 2 weeks dog season for 2 months basically I think it should be 1 month each.

I didnt know yall couldnt hunt sundays. Is it illegal to fish on sundays too? Plenty of people hunt sundays and still make church.

We have bow season from September 15th to January 15th with 10 days of rifle season starting the second weekend in November, then we have a muzzleloader and handgun season the end of December. If you bow hunt during any of the firearms portions you have to use firearms tags. The one thing we can't do here is use dogs, that's about as bad as you using a rifle where your not supposed to where you are.

Craig Miller":1ctj03ei said:
I didnt know yall couldnt hunt sundays. Is it illegal to fish on sundays too? Plenty of people hunt sundays and still make church.

Yes you can fish all day all night long.. Here during dog season they wouldnt make it to church if they have dogs I have 27 hounds and by the time I catch all of them up it about 9pm or later there are many guys with way more dogs than I have and stay out till darn near midnight.. I will give you an example when I coon hunt on saturday nights if im in the woods hunting and tree 1 at 11:59pm and get to the coon and shoot it lets say at 12:01am I can get a ticket.

denvermartinfarms":3d5tmdem said:
We have bow season from September 15th to January 15th with 10 days of rifle season starting the second weekend in November, then we have a muzzleloader and handgun season the end of December. If you bow hunt during any of the firearms portions you have to use firearms tags. The one thing we can't do here is use dogs, that's about as bad as you using a rifle where your not supposed to where you are.

How many bucks/does can you take a year?

skyhightree1":3gkedwto said:
Craig Miller":3gkedwto said:

Yes you can fish all day all night long.. Here during dog season they wouldnt make it to church if they have dogs I have 27 hounds and by the time I catch all of them up it about 9pm or later there are many guys with way more dogs than I have and stay out till darn near midnight.. I will give you an example when I coon hunt on saturday nights if im in the woods hunting and tree 1 at 11:59pm and get to the coon and shoot it lets say at 12:01am I can get a ticket.
What about hunting until midnight then having to catch your dogs? This is crazy to me that they tell people when they can or can not hunt on there own land.

you can catch them when you can thats not a problem but you have to stop the chase ASAP... Well its no crazier than the gov't telling you what you can and cant do on and with your land lol

Latest posts