Who said : don’t look back something might be gaining on you ?

Help Support CattleToday:

this guy looked like a young male from this years litter . Had been checking out the pond in that pasture I guess .

Why did you shoot it?
Cause I shoot ever coyote I see . I know the argument about not shooting them but we are slowly getting a turkey population and deer #'s are improving. I shoot skunks , coons , and every predator I see
Why coons?
Eat eggs of turkeys , eat the wood duck eggs in my wood duck boxes , even with nest box guards sometimes. Raid my sweet corn in my garden when it gets to roasting ear stage .Eat the corn in my deer feeders . Worst carriers of rabies in our area .

Cause I shoot ever coyote I see . I know the argument about not shooting them but we are slowly getting a turkey population and deer #'s are improving. I shoot skunks , coons , and every predator I see .
You never mentioned wild hogs or is this not an issue in your area?

Thankfully we don't have them yet , my cousin in South Alabama farms about 3500-4000 acres of , corn , peanuts and cotton . It's a never ending battle for them .

Pic of a few my son in law , his brother and his sons shot a few years back . We walked these up on the edge of some of my cousins farm .

Hit this sow and 11 piggies on the road to town . Was taking my aunt to town for supper driving her SUV when these ran out in the road . Mom got a head shot but the babies got the worse end of the deal . 2-3 cars behind me probably helped on the high count of road kill . B6833307-2C9C-4BB4-AF1D-22671FAAEFB1.png22C34673-B541-4545-8466-8FEE53FA8E5B.png009AFE6A-2B6E-4C77-8288-D0474EAE955C.png

I will catch or kill every coon I can around here too. Besides the rabies, they are the most destructive of predators with the chickens... they will kill for fun and a family can wipe out a bunch of chickens in one trip. Had them tear up pens of young birds, ripping wings off, legs, strewing the birds around in the field/woods. They also get into the corn here and will strip ears and eat one bite and go to the next. Hate them with a passion. If I catch them in the live traps, there are a couple people that will come and get them... use them to train their coon hounds with. Fine with me. If I hadn't been the recipient of them being so destructive with the chickens, and killing for fun, I probably wouldn't hate them so much. Wanton killing and not eating it just gets my dander up.

At least the fox will carry it off and they do have some problems with mange and some rabies here also. The possum will eat it... although I try to get rid of any of them due to the diseases they can carry. But I don't go out of my way to kill them unless they are being a menace here. I lock up the chickens at night so they have some protection.
The other problem is the hawks and especially the eagles getting the free range chickens...
The coyotes are smart enough to be a worthy opponent... when we find them getting in the sheep, then they are fair game... and we will hunt with night scopes and whatever it takes. But if we don't have any problems, we don't go out of our way to kill them.
We have a very healthy turkey population, and more deer than we can deal with... they actually do more damage in the hayfields and the fall grains/cover crops due to the numbers.

I will catch or kill every coon I can around here too. Besides the rabies, they are the most destructive of predators with the chickens... they will kill for fun and a family can wipe out a bunch of chickens in one trip. Had them tear up pens of young birds, ripping wings off, legs, strewing the birds around in the field/woods. They also get into the corn here and will strip ears and eat one bite and go to the next. Hate them with a passion. If I catch them in the live traps, there are a couple people that will come and get them... use them to train their coon hounds with. Fine with me. If I hadn't been the recipient of them being so destructive with the chickens, and killing for fun, I probably wouldn't hate them so much. Wanton killing and not eating it just gets my dander up.

At least the fox will carry it off and they do have some problems with mange and some rabies here also. The possum will eat it... although I try to get rid of any of them due to the diseases they can carry. But I don't go out of my way to kill them unless they are being a menace here. I lock up the chickens at night so they have some protection.
The other problem is the hawks and especially the eagles getting the free range chickens...
The coyotes are smart enough to be a worthy opponent... when we find them getting in the sheep, then they are fair game... and we will hunt with night scopes and whatever it takes. But if we don't have any problems, we don't go out of our way to kill them.
We have a very healthy turkey population, and more deer than we can deal with... they actually do more damage in the hayfields and the fall grains/cover crops due to the numbers.
Catch and kill all the coon I can. Destructive animals. Coyote also.

Getting the feeling I raised the hackles on a few by saying I kill predators . I had to quit free ranging my chickens because of fox and coyotes. Never caught a coyote killing a calf but it's strange they are always the first on a carcass . I have a few more on my hit list but better not mention any names .