Who said : don’t look back something might be gaining on you ?

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg> most of you are far enough removed from me that any decision made regarding predators would have no effect.
It might be interesting to make an inquiry into the relationship between wild hogs and coyotes. What effect would you say
a wild hog incursion would have on a wild turkey nest or brood? .or for that matter any fawn in the area?
I will say from experience deer and turkey cohabitate quite well. It might be worth your time to inquire to determine the
effect, if any, of coyotes (or bob cats) on a litter of wild pigs. hope it goes well with you LVR

Coyotes are cowards and the ultimate opportunist when it comes to scavenging a meal.
Coyote will avoid injury at all cost, dog will take a beating limp home for you to feed.
I would say hogs are the number one predator of anything on the ground. I actually saw one catch a squirrel under a deer feeder and eat in a couple bites before receiving a broadhead.

Thank God we don't have the wild hogs here... yet.... hopefully never, but I've heard there are some in southwest Va now. In captivity, hogs will eat anything that they can get ahold of in their pens. Seen them eat a chicken that was scratching around in the pen once... There was an old man here that the sows ravaged and killed years ago when he was in feeding them and they figured he got knocked down and for whatever reason the sow went after him.... I wouldn't trust them to not go after anything on the ground either. They would destroy any turkey nests or other wildlife nesting on the ground.
Seems the wild piglets are up and running faster than the domestic ones... and once they are able to run, not much is going to go after them as a sow will be closeby and will tear anything apart when a piglet squeals. Don't think a coyote would try to get a piglet very often unless the litter is very new and the sow is way far away scrounging a meal.

We have deer out the ying yang here and plenty of wild turkeys. The foxes will get the free range chickens on occasion... but the dam@#d eagles are the worst for going after them. Got a few hawks that are problems also.

coachg> most of you are far enough removed from me that any decision made regarding predators would have no effect.
It might be interesting to make an inquiry into the relationship between wild hogs and coyotes. What effect would you say
a wild hog incursion would have on a wild turkey nest or brood? .or for that matter any fawn in the area? By the way baiting is now legal in Alabama, you're supposed to buy a permit on your license .
I will say from experience deer and turkey cohabitate quite well. It might be worth your time to inquire to determine the
effect, if any, of coyotes (or bob cats) on a litter of wild pigs. hope it goes well with you LVR
I know the guys on the Alabama hunting forums say hogs have almost wiped out their turkey population. Busting up nests and eating the eggs . Deer will leave a feeder if hogs come to eat . Not sure if hogs would eat a baby fawn but I'm betting they would .

I am far removed from that latitude so I have to ask if the wild hogs have any natural enemies such as coyotes, bob cats
or whatever that lurks in your particular area. I will get skewered for this but I would consider a treat they couldn't refuse
that would give a hog terminal schlitz which should let them enjoy the occasion and time to remove to another area so
they would not make a connection.

I would say a wild hog has 0 predators except man . My cousin has had to put an electric wire around every acre of land he farms . Problem is sometimes they fence in a sounder . Hogs reproduce like rabbits . He has tried trapping but if they ever encounter a trap and escape you'll not catch them again . He finally has resorted to a fellow who runs them with dogs . Last year alone they killed over 100 . This has been his best alternative. He buys the guy a pallet of dog food every time he runs out of feed .

I would say a wild hog has 0 predators except man . My cousin has had to put an electric wire around every acre of land he farms . Problem is sometimes they fence in a sounder . Hogs reproduce like rabbits . He has tried trapping but if they ever encounter a trap and escape you'll not catch them again . He finally has resorted to a fellow who runs them with dogs . Last year alone they killed over 100 . This has been his best alternative. He buys the guy a pallet of dog food every time he runs out of feed .
Routinely trap over 800 a year off my cousins deer lease with a drop trap. The guy that owns the trap lease payment is to trap hogs. My cousin has a high dollar lease they routinely kill 160 class bucks.
They are endless coming out of the National Forest.

I trap a 100-120 a year off my place and my neighbor does as well.

W
Routinely trap over 800 a year off my cousins deer lease with a drop trap. The guy that owns the trap lease payment is to trap hogs. My cousin has a high dollar lease they routinely kill 160 class bucks.
They are endless coming out of the National Forest.

I trap a 100-120 a year off my place and my neighbor does as well.
What type trap do you use ? I'll pass the information on . Is it a Pig Brig ?

Mine is homemade. I lock the gate open with a SPYPOINT camera watching the trap. When I get the sounder going in I set it.
View attachment 22192View attachment 22193
Neighbor has pig brig very effective, pain to get dead hogs out.
Friend used boar buster.
If you kill that many in a year no wonder they go in a trap ! They are needing the spaces and the food .

I will catch or kill every coon I can around here too. Besides the rabies, they are the most destructive of predators with the chickens... they will kill for fun and a family can wipe out a bunch of chickens in one trip. Had them tear up pens of young birds, ripping wings off, legs, strewing the birds around in the field/woods. They also get into the corn here and will strip ears and eat one bite and go to the next. Hate them with a passion. If I catch them in the live traps, there are a couple people that will come and get them... use them to train their coon hounds with. Fine with me. If I hadn't been the recipient of them being so destructive with the chickens, and killing for fun, I probably wouldn't hate them so much. Wanton killing and not eating it just gets my dander up.

At least the fox will carry it off and they do have some problems with mange and some rabies here also. The possum will eat it... although I try to get rid of any of them due to the diseases they can carry. But I don't go out of my way to kill them unless they are being a menace here. I lock up the chickens at night so they have some protection.
The other problem is the hawks and especially the eagles getting the free range chickens...
The coyotes are smart enough to be a worthy opponent... when we find them getting in the sheep, then they are fair game... and we will hunt with night scopes and whatever it takes. But if we don't have any problems, we don't go out of our way to kill them.
We have a very healthy turkey population, and more deer than we can deal with... they actually do more damage in the hayfields and the fall grains/cover crops due to the numbers.
Coyotes and coons are shot on the spot, simple as(at least 'round here).