Shed Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

A couple days ago I saw a little bunch of 11 deer. 5 of them were starting to grow new horns. Last year's horns are somewhere up there in the sage brush.

A couple days ago I saw a little bunch of 11 deer. 5 of them were starting to grow new horns. Last year's horns are somewhere up there in the sage brush.
If you go on the FB shed groups they are full of people finding mule deer, elk, and moose sheds. A lot of times they are in pairs. Rodents and cattle and stuff tend to drag whitetail sheds off pretty easy. I guess those big horns stay longer because its hard to pack off a moose horn.

I was actually looking of places you could go that time of year where I could walk and look for sheds.

I have a couple life goals. I want to hunt every animals in Texas and get a mount. Now I have added I want to find a nice shed, or pair would be better, for whitetail, mule deer, elk, and moose, in my lifetime.

If you go on the FB shed groups they are full of people finding mule deer, elk, and moose sheds. A lot of times they are in pairs. Rodents and cattle and stuff tend to drag whitetail sheds off pretty easy. I guess those big horns stay longer because its hard to pack off a moose horn.

I was actually looking of places you could go that time of year where I could walk and look for sheds.

I have a couple life goals. I want to hunt every animals in Texas and get a mount. Now I have added I want to find a nice shed, or pair would be better, for whitetail, mule deer, elk, and moose, in my lifetime.
I'm sure you've seen a shed trap.
Works as well to sprinkle corn right in a fence line. They'll both knock horns off eating corn along the fence and jar them off jumping the fence. I hope this helps you with those life goals.

I'm sure you've seen a shed trap.
Works as well to sprinkle corn right in a fence line. They'll both knock horns off eating corn along the fence and jar them off jumping the fence. I hope this helps you with those life goals.

Thanks. 😄

I find quite a few looking, some on equipment even though I'm not in the pasture with tractors and what not near as much. By far I find the most while burning or post burn. Take the cover away and fresh green growth and it makes for the perfect scenario.

Last edited:
Back a month or two ago there was a lot people searching for sheds on the BLM ground near here. Some of them have dogs trained to find the sheds.

Found both sets a couple years ago on my ranch in Leon county.
Nice buck for the area, picture doesn't do justice.
Picked up a euro mount at academy.

Attachments

• 6823A6FB-809A-4DED-87BA-AB351971824E.jpeg
    6823A6FB-809A-4DED-87BA-AB351971824E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
A couple years ago there was a buck west of the corral my youngest son wanted to shoot. The west end of that corral is an old 40x 14 loafing shed. Son worked his way out through the corral to the loafing shed. Slipped his gun through a crack in the shed wall and shot the deer. Is that shed hunting?

A couple years ago there was a buck west of the corral my youngest son wanted to shoot. The west end of that corral is an old 40x 14 loafing shed. Son worked his way out through the corral to the loafing shed. Slipped his gun through a crack in the shed wall and shot the deer. Is that shed hunting?
Yep!

Latest posts