Should have stayed home today!

Help Support CattleToday:

I never ate any, but I acquired one back in the early 90's it just showed up.
It was tame as a cat and would it anything.
Cigarette butts, soda tops, it even tried to get my boys fishing lures out of their tackle box.
That thing was hilarious. It just left and I seen it in the neighbors a week or so later.

I've wondered about how they would eat... but have never made the leap to acquire any of them so I could try it.
When I was in college, my friend and roommate and I bought an old sausage sow for $20 and butchered and ate it for 6 months. The next year he went up to the auction without me to try and do the same thing. He calls in the afternoon and said all the hogs went for over $100 so he didn't do it. But... he was able to pick up a couple old pack llamas for $4, and $5. We butchered and ground it all. It tasted like nothing, very bland. Worked ok for tacos or spaghetti or whatever but i wouldn't highly recommend it. Price was right though.

Someone turned some Emu loose in the national forest beside my old place, around 2010 maybe in 2011's drought. I used to see 'em walking around in the woods from the nearest county road to my place. I bet the coyotes had fun with them. They were once a big thing, or maybe should say yet another Big Thing, that fizzled out. Eggs for hatching were going for $100 each at one point, when the Emu breeders had a propaganda arm that rivaled that of CAB..

Someone turned some Emu loose in the national forest beside my old place, around 2010 maybe in 2011's drought. I used to see 'em walking around in the woods from the nearest county road to my place. I bet the coyotes had fun with them. They were once a big thing, or maybe should say yet another Big Thing, that fizzled out. Eggs for hatching were going for $100 each at one point, when the Emu breeders had a propaganda arm that rivaled that of CAB..
EMU! That's what I was thinking of when I said "rhea".

I remember when they were $15K/bird
A family I knew that didn't have much invested heavily in the business, when it crashed they were hurting.

I wish I had been the one selling! People giving $1100 for an unbroke mini, when they could have bought young, 7 and 8 month bred cows for that an hour later! They had a black llama gelding that they had to run it in the ring instead of leading it. It just stomped and spit at the ring men, and it brought $1400.00!!!

Probably from some people in the subdivision raising hell that caused the man to sell out.

We don't have Emu's here but they start to appear about 20km on the western side of town. The exclusion fencing about 5' high that the sheep Cockies are putting up to keep the dingoes out of their sheep flocks are probably giving them a bit of a hard time.

Ken

What happened to the rest of the Brahama cows? Im sure they didnt have a sale Thanksgiving day but should have had one yesterday.
Yeah, I guess that guy didn't show up like he said, because there were none there. Place was eat up with mini cattle of several breeds. 45 hogs, 100 and something goats, nearly that many sheep, and a poen full of ponies and mini horses. Only had 4 Criolo type cows I was interested in.

Latest posts