shots for newborns

Help Support CattleToday:

mom to 4":gd4zqww9 said:
We've never given shots to our newborn calves in the past, but would like to start. What do you all give them?

What is the reason for starting to give them if you haven;t in the past? If you have a problem you're trying to address there would be a specific solution. Vaccinations at that age from vaccinated cows are pretty much (generally) a waste of money unless these are bottle calves you're talking about.

dun

My sentiments exactly. Unless you ahve had problems why fix the mouse trap.

We were thinking maybe we were "behind the times" It seems that many of the cattlemen in our area are giving shots. I've read some of the columns in the agri-news, etc. and have heard/read here and there that it's recommended. Maybe we don't need to worry about it.

NEWBORN calves (up to 3 months of age) sucking mom, should not receive any VACCINATIONS. Depending on location, they should receive Bo-Se (Selinium suppliment) and Vitamin A&D shot, and dip naval with 7% tincture iodine. Other than that, tattoo, tag & castrate may also be done at birth.
Of course, this is based on the cows having received all the necessary locally recommended vaccinations, so that the colostrum passes these immunities to the calf.

yes, sorry if I wasn't clear on what I meant. I was referring more to the Vitamin A&D shots -- not to vaccinations.

There be blackleg in the ground around here so I take no chances. I shoot for blackleg and BRD as long as I be at it. Makes me feel better if nothin else ;-)

give the cows the blackleg every six months and wait till the calf is 3 months old to give them the shot. here there is no need for ant shots until they are three months old. the vet says it doesn't do them any good.

We give 8 way and Mu-Se or Bo-Se at birth when we process the calf. We're in an area where cattle on contracted to graze crop residues, so in the fall the county's population goes from a couple thousand to probably ten or more thousand. With all the rotation of cattle on circles, theres bound to be something floating around. 8 way costs about $0.40 per head, it's alot cheaper than doctoring or losing one.

For those of you that are vaccinating calves at birth - according to what pharmaceutical companies say & vets - you are totally wasting your time IF THE CALF SUCKS colostrum, and you may be hurting their immune system.
A calf should get all the immunity it needs from the cows colostrum IF THE COW has received her vaccinations. If you vaccinate a calf prior to 3 months of age, the calf still has antibodies in their system from the colostrum and it is not recommended.

Latest posts