Shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

There's a rock quarry up the road from me has a lime pile almost 100 ft tall covers about two and a half acres

Same here, I have heard that there is a Zinc Mine that has a whole Valley of it stored because it is a by-product of zinc mining.
I'm surprised that you haven't used lime from the Zinc mine. Its fine so it works faster plus the tests show its a better grade of lime. Its all I use

We can't have ours delivered from the co op because the truck has been down for a couple years. They rent the truck and the owners won't repair it, so it sits in the lot next to the building.... sad!

After Kenny's comment, I thought if there was a whole valley of limestone stored at the mine, it would be clearly visible. While I would not classify this as a "whole valley" it looks like they have plenty. This is only the Thorn Hill site, there are at least 2 more in Jefferson County, Tn.

unnamed.png

I have known of it being hauled from there for seems like 50 years. I always thought the zinc mine was closed even back then. Any info on it?
Those zinc mines open and close all of the time depending on the market price of zinc. I have no idea which ones are open or closed right now. The last I heard, the ones in Jeff County were still open. But it is not unusual for them to be on a skeleton crew and then ramp up quickly if the price goes up.

The Jeff and Knox county mines are all owned by Nyrstar now.

Last edited:

Latest posts