Oat Shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5

Reaction score
AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
I posted backin august where IFAS said there was going to be an Oat shortage this year. I just went by my feed store to pick up a dozen bags to plant a small patch.
NONE- no feed oats no seed oats. they did have a plot mix 77% oat 15% wheat 8% wren rye . Im gonna give this a shot. I got a neighbor that has some in his bin that Im going to do a germ test and maybe they will be good enough to plant the rest of my patches.

They were paying $1.90 a bushel for good oats last month. I got some calls from folks trying to sell low test weight oats. Did not seem like anyone wanted it.

We've got oats here at a pretty decent price. Their local grown and got rained on so their real dark colored but germ test 80 percent or better.

I've found some at a few other places. I thought i needed them today cause I plannd on dusting them in this afternoon but that didn't happen . it was dark when I got home. I went to the piggly wiggly. They had plenty last week. She said they sold out Saturday and would be a few days before she got more.

M-5":3vhuposn said:
I've found some at a few other places. I thought i needed them today cause I plannd on dusting them in this afternoon but that didn't happen . it was dark when I got home. I went to the piggly wiggly. They had plenty last week. She said they sold out Saturday and would be a few days before she got more.

They sell oats at the piggly wiggly You sure you're not buying oatmeal? ;-)

fenceman":1ne7b2kc said:
M-5":1ne7b2kc said:

They sell oats at the piggly wiggly You sure you're not buying oatmeal? ;-)

Nope, its a piggly wiggly feed and seed. The grocery store is next door. They have from buckwheat to clay peas and everything in between. They do a good business. The other 2 feed stores closed several years ago so it was desperately needed.

I gave $4. a bushel for straight run oats. They look good and seems like most of them germinated. I just put them in a wet paper towel in the sun. I have about half a grain wagon left, if you need some.

I figured their might be a shortage this year. Went the the Co-Op several weeks ago to put in an order and reserve what I wanted. They said so far they haven't had a problem getting any and the price is even down from last year.

after a few calls this morning I have found some more seed Oats. I like to use cheapest I can find but prefer cleaned oats cause I don't usally have the issues with wild mustard. I seriously considering doing a 50/50 oats rye mix 100# to acre this year. with the prospect of a harsh winter the rye will do much better.

Latest posts