Hay-2015--effects of too much rain=shortage in your area?

Help Support CattleToday:

Got about 80 acres cut the last couple days. Next big chance of rain is Sunday.hope to start baling on Friday..praying for no break-downs as they're giving rain every day next week..

Rafter S":2uhmj1u9 said:
1982vett":2uhmj1u9 said:
I wouldn't worry to much....June, July, August, September, October, and November are still in front of us. :nod: I can't say for you, but I think June of 1998 was the last time it rained something like 18 days out of 23 days here....By the middle of July we were parched and begging for rain.

I agree. While it's pretty much always a good idea to plan ahead, it's way too early to worry about not enough hay. I'd be more inclined to worry if we weren't getting rain.

13 wet days later, are you 2 still full of confidence?

:lol: :lol:

While I am surprised it does actually know how to rain here....looking at a calendar confirms that mid to late November is still 5 months away. However I do hear the steamer is going to be fired up today.......I wonder if that will do the same to the weeds as I has done to the tomatoes. :?

It still hasn't stopped raining here rained all night last night. We don't haven't baled a single bale of hay and we are beginning to get in a bind. All of our spring grass is dying because it is to wet in our hay meadows to cut it. I'm not one to ever complain about rain and I still don't plan too but we need a little bit of drying time....otherwise we may have to start finding somewhere to buy some hay.

Local feed store called my dad last week begging for some square bales. Too bad the hay barn is empty. About 40 round bales left over from last winter but those are the insurance policy.

1982vett":28fi6eov said:

While I am surprised it does actually know how to rain here....looking at a calendar confirms that mid to late November is still 5 months away. However I do hear the steamer is going to be fired up today.......I wonder if that will do the same to the weeds as I has done to the tomatoes. :?
My goatweed is in fine condition, even when the sun beats down on it---no scalding--no wilting--might be the best crop I've ever seen, which is quite surprising, as I never realized till now, that wooly croton is an aquatic plant.

greybeard":2ru3g3nf said:
1982vett":2ru3g3nf said:

My goatweed is in fine condition, even when the sun beats down on it---no scalding--no wilting--might be the best crop I've ever seen, which is quite surprising, as I never realized till now, that wooly croton is an aquatic plant.
Well ain't that a pizzer. :lol:

Looks like we might finally get a break from the rain- but it is so muddy we still have several days before we can get in the field. Most of our stuff is fescue/clover mix, and both are fully mature or beyond mature....

Turned cows into one Bermuda patch today. Hated to do it because it is so wet but the pasture they are in is getting so sloppy.

Latest posts