Hay Shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954":1p3q05fo said:
They were trying to get $80 for 4x5 by the Austin airport...... guess no one bought, the sign went down to $65... I am still getting this year's 5x6 blue stem and coastal at $70. More then I like to pay but I will not pay $80 for 4x5 rolls.... ANYONE KNOW THE NUTRITIONAL BENIFIT OF CORN HAY AND MILO STALKS???? These are from fields that didn't get enough rain.... corn fields all dead around here.
ive had milo regrowth tested before and it came back at about 7 percent. jedstivers spoke of getting over 10 with fertilizer after heading and irrigation. there is a difference in regrowth and just stalks. if your talking about milo that didn't get enough rain to make grain. I would dam sure test for nitrates. so it can be pretty sorry to very good hay..lol. also be prepared to handle bales in the 1500 pound plus range.

By all means, if your hay source is not providing a reliable analysis, sample it yourself and get it done. If you don't know what's in there, you don't know what your cattle will need...
We got the vast majority of our hay in over the past week... but didn't receive the analysis from the hay producer until the day the last two loads arrived... UofArk testing lab showed good ADF(28) and TDN(58)... but crude protein was only 5%. University nutritionist doubts that TDN is as good as calculated, based on that low CP.

Below 7% CP, there is not enough N in hay for rumen microbes to effectively process that hay... they'll essentially starve to death with a belly full of indigestible material unless you're supplementing protein sufficiently.
This stuff we ended up with will require that we feed 2X-3X our normal level of DDG just to barely meet dry matter, protein, and net energy requirements.

Talked to my hay guy last night and he told me he had to go up $10 a bale. Told him I'd be right there and went and paid him before he went up even more.

I inherited by dad's poor business sense. In the rare event we sell hay off the place (Grandpa always said it was okay to lend hay, but never sell it) the price is the same as in a good hay crop year.

I keep watching these fields around here wonder when people are going to cut the hay, a lot of them or wait until it's completely dead. Makes me wonder about the quality. A lot of it is Bluestem next to airport and car dealerships and some of its Johnson grass. Wouldn't cutting it when it was halfway green be better?

Lucky_P":peang8pc said:
Below 7% CP, there is not enough N in hay for rumen microbes to effectively process that hay... they'll essentially starve to death with a belly full of indigestible material unless you're supplementing protein sufficiently.
This stuff we ended up with will require that we feed 2X-3X our normal level of DDG just to barely meet dry matter, protein, and net energy requirements.

Cows do eat less of that kind of hay. I assume they are on a microbe version of limit feeding.

Have seen some general comments about how supplementing poorer (but expensive) hay actually reduces your feed cost per day. What is a normal level of DDG? Do you have any cost comments on using DDG vs. a mixed supplement?

Lucky_P":ffvaybpg said:
By all means, if your hay source is not providing a reliable analysis, sample it yourself and get it done. If you don't know what's in there, you don't know what your cattle will need...
We got the vast majority of our hay in over the past week... but didn't receive the analysis from the hay producer until the day the last two loads arrived... UofArk testing lab showed good ADF(28) and TDN(58)... but crude protein was only 5%. University nutritionist doubts that TDN is as good as calculated, based on that low CP.

So...is this the $25 a roll hay everyone talks about being able to buy? Just asking.

$25.. I wish! Actually, with the analysis we received on this, I'm not sure it's worth $25... but with shipping costs, we're paying just a few cents over double that.

Steve, we've normally fed 3-5# DDG/cow/day in addition to 25-27# hay, but ration calculator indicates that we'll have to go as high as 10#DDG for the lactating Fall-calving cows in order to meet protein needs... and will still be close to being deficient in energy... and if we feed more than about 22# of this sorry hay... it makes things WORSE!
And, to top it off, the analysis on the next batch of hay is even poorer - lower CP, lower TDN.

Trying to get across to this producer that it doesn't matter how much $$ he spends spraying and fertilizing in the spring, if he's not going to make a first cutting until mid-July... it's NEVER going to be good. Yeah, we CAN supplement, but for what we're paying, we shouldn't have to feed that much extra... and if he's got other clients who are going to feed only hay... they're gonna have cows that are approaching (and some reaching) starvation despite consuming all of this material that they can take in... and may also have calf survivability issues if those cows make it to calving.

5S Cattle":1grxph5x said:
backhoeboogie":1grxph5x said:
Caustic Burno":1grxph5x said:
It's short here as well very short.
We should be on third cutting and most have only gotten one.

Pastures are brown here. Dead. Trees are dying. Cactus is turning yellow. The hay panic has started.
Where at in Texas?

NE of Dallas for one place. My second cutting didn't develop. Cracks in the clay soil big enough to get your foot hung up in them. I have to laugh at riding lawn mower commercials........try your machine on my yard??????? Had to buy extra since I couldn't produce while it was available for my responsibilities.

JG and SS are the only things trying to grow. Have around an inch forecast midweek. If that develops it should get us into September.

It's bad here, people are selling 4x5 for $90-$100 a roll. There are guys baling hay on the side of the road, trash all in it, and trying to sell that at $100 a bale. My only saving grace was buying early spring at last year's prices and sill sitting on some of last year's hay. Also I have 1 local that has set aside some 5x6 blue stem at $70 a roll for me. This was baled this spring. That's only because I am a regular and a local. He could get more for it.

BK9954":2d8zz92i said:
It's bad here, people are selling 4x5 for $90-$100 a roll. There are guys baling hay on the side of the road, trash all in it, and trying to sell that at $100 a bale. My only saving grace was buying early spring at last year's prices and sill sitting on some of last year's hay. Also I have 1 local that has set aside some 5x6 blue stem at $70 a roll for me. This was baled this spring. That's only because I am a regular and a local. He could get more for it.
It's way cheaper to cull, and you don't look nearly as stupid.

True Grit Farms":3e4pe9ab said:
BK9954":3e4pe9ab said:
Yes, I am sitting on a years worth of hay, and can hold out until next spring. Advice I was given was to always have a years worth of hay on hand, I didn't need it the last few years but this year it's come in handy. I am buying next year's hay from my local now while it's here at a good price.... just in case.

BK9954":2b3x4e88 said:
True Grit Farms":2b3x4e88 said:
BK9954":2b3x4e88 said:
Yes, I am sitting on a years worth of hay, and can hold out until next spring. Advice I was given was to always have a years worth of hay on hand, I didn't need it the last few years but this year it's come in handy. I am buying next year's hay from my local now while it's here at a good price.... just in case.

Just a little heads up BK.. do with it what you please..if that's King ranch bluestem "kr' it's called often. And I'd bet that it is. It makes sorry hay and will require some supplement.

callmefence":32dpb902 said:
BK9954":32dpb902 said:
True Grit Farms":32dpb902 said:

Just a little heads up BK.. do with it what you please..if that's King ranch bluestem "kr' it's called often. And I'd bet that it is. It makes sorry hay and will require some supplement.
I am rotating out bales I feed one medio Bluestem and then I feed one bale of hay grazer. The only ones that I'm having to supplement are the heifers with calves on them and I have those in a separate pasture on haygrazer and feed. Most of the hay that I have is haygrazer and I'm sure those guys regret selling it to me now. I'm always hope for the best but plan for the worst, I got all my haygrazer at last year's prices.

These are some of the prices being charged local. You can get cheaper, but pretty far away(hours). The milo price is outrageous considering it's half waste with the stalks

poems by Mirabai

Stocker Steve":3klrgmmp said:
I recently had a guy ask me about feeding corn silage to beef cows, which locally can be lower cost than hay.
Moving feed daily in the artic vortex is a challenge, but it can be done with the right equipment.
Someone with a sharp pencil and a warm cab tractor could buy cheap fall calvers and pour on the energy.

I'm planning on chopping 200-250 tons of corn silage, and as of right now, I'm down to 15 pairs and a handfull of yearlings. I smell an opportunity coming.....if you have the feed.

callmefence":1aakgbvw said:
BK9954":1aakgbvw said:
These are some of the prices being charged local. You can get cheaper, but pretty far away(hours). The milo price is outrageous considering it's half waste with the stalks

poems by Mirabai

I'm thinking the best bet might be to sell my cow's so I can sell my hay............
If I can hold on, people sell and prices skyrocket when restocking happens..... that would help me recover losses from the last few years.

Farm Fence Solutions":3mb6va9k said:
Stocker Steve":3mb6va9k said:
I recently had a guy ask me about feeding corn silage to beef cows, which locally can be lower cost than hay.
Moving feed daily in the artic vortex is a challenge, but it can be done with the right equipment.
Someone with a sharp pencil and a warm cab tractor could buy cheap fall calvers and pour on the energy.

I'm planning on chopping 200-250 tons of corn silage, and as of right now, I'm down to 15 pairs and a handfull of yearlings. I smell an opportunity coming.....if you have the feed.

Chopped close to 200 ton of silage last week. Will help with the hay shortage some, but still behind what we need. Especially if we have to start feeding hay in the next month. Water is quickly becoming an issue. May have to start hauling water to some pastures in the next couple of weeks.

fhug":271mfniu said:
Farm Fence Solutions":271mfniu said:
Stocker Steve":271mfniu said:

Chopped close to 200 ton of silage last week. Will help with the hay shortage some, but still behind what we need. Especially if we have to start feeding hay in the next month. Water is quickly becoming an issue. May have to start hauling water to some pastures in the next couple of weeks.

Bob didn't realize you were that dry. Praying for rain for a large area. We are ok here in SW KS and making it from rain to rain in west central OK. We bought wheat for 70 a bale earlier and some thought it was high and now wish they had it.

Latest posts