Hay Shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

Around here hay is short overall. The fires started in the spring in this area and still going in CO and NM. Had lots of big fires the year before. Supplies have been drained. There is some hay grazer planted on her ground but will need some more rain for it too make. We bought 79 bales of wheat hay and have 30 bales of Alfalfa spoke for. And have some 4-5 y/o bales we need to clean up that I will feed in the manger trailer. Hopefully we won't have a harsh winter. Hoping we can get through on what we have. In previous years the local market papers would have several ads for hay for sale. Not this year. If you see 1-2 and need hay you had better jump on it. And usually it isn't what a person is looking for. Guess it will beat a snow bank.

I wish i could send y'all a bit of rain. We've got it in the forecast every day for a month just about. I'm grateful. This time last year we were pretty dry already.

Knock on wood.

ClinchValley":3ik0403e said:
I wish i could send y'all a bit of rain. We've got it in the forecast every day for a month just about. I'm grateful. This time last year we were pretty dry already.

Knock on wood.
Grass has turned brown here. It is forcasting rain but bright sunshine this morning

We could use some rain here also. It's been hot here in the 90s everyday and no rain other than a couple quick down pours in a few weeks. Pasture fields are drying up fast.

backhoeboogie":2qasaacq said:
5S Cattle":2qasaacq said:
backhoeboogie":2qasaacq said:
Pastures are brown here. Dead. Trees are dying. Cactus is turning yellow. The hay panic has started.
Where at in Texas?

Hood County. We were in Crowley and Burleson a few weeks back and it was still green there. Meridian just got 4 inches of rain. My daughter's places west of here have had rain. We're simply in the middle of the hole.
I talked with my dads buddy from cleburne and he said OLD hay was going for $80/bale. Crazy. It's not bad down here. Might come this way to grab hay.

We fed one herd hay yesterday. After 2011 drought we keep 2 years hay on hand. That means our cows usually eat older hay over the winter but they always do fine if we keep
protein tubs out. We never want to run out of hay ever. We got lucky the last drought but the land we baled is no longer available. Last year we gave standing hay away because we just had nowhere to put it. If hay does what it did in 2011 we'll be kicking ourselves.

kenny thomas":3vvohgyf said:
ClinchValley":3vvohgyf said:

Knock on wood.
Grass has turned brown here. It is forcasting rain but bright sunshine this morning

Sorry to hear that. Just over the hill from us it has been brown too. Hamblen and Greene counties were pretty dang dry last time i was through.

It came a hellish storm last night. Did y'all get any of it?

kenny thomas":yq6ocsf1 said:
ClinchValley":yq6ocsf1 said:

Knock on wood.

Kenny hope you get some rain. It is still green here but need more rain and growth. She got her fences rebuilt but still letting the grass grow. We bought some hay and may need more. Not sure if the haygrazer is going to do much.
It has been brutal hot the last week. 113 in the day and was 82 at 11:30 pm when I got here last evening. Some rain in the forecast for this week but they have took some out already.

This region was in the epicenter of yesterday's storms. A rare upper level low was adding to the lower level low. Lots of damage. Got almost 4 inches. Not much runoff. Went right into the ground. It was dry.

That second picture was of the radar map on TV. The white is lightning. It was an awesome show!

214qi3p.jpg

nvpldi.jpg

Bright Raven":21pffocm said:
It was an awesome show!

It sure was! I was out trying to fix some fence when it hit. Very little runoff here it would appear. Very steady, hard rain.

Now, if only i could get a 2-4 day window...

callmefence":16ztzzvm said:
No chance of second cutting here. Sudan is burning up and full of aphids. Opened the gates and let the cows on it.
Their tickled to have something with some green in it.
I bought 50 5 by 5 of old coastal for 2500.00 and was proud to get it. Can get good hay trucked in for 160 a ton. That's to dam much... I got a line on some Milo hay that's what I'm going to do this year. Fed it during the drought and with a little cottonseed it's just fine.
Maybe we'll have a good year for oats.

If not no biggie. It ain't like we haven't lost money on cattle before.

I have BTDT on milo stalks, in mid winter and glad to get them regardless of price. Been awhile. Nobody around here has any planted any more now that corn is popular. See some cotton that shows up when somebody needs to do a crop rotation. So I guess it'll be corn stalks, cotton seed and maybe a little molasses on the really bad stuff for those in need.

That's the other thing. When cotton was king, about every 10 miles around here was a cotton gin. Bergs still here, some gins left, the parking lots still visible. Trailers just disappeared over the years; haven't seen one in a long time. Wolfe City had a big mill where you could buy bagged meal; may still be in operation. Haven't been there in awhile. Place looked like it's on it's last leg last time I was by there. Today I guess you'd have to have your local feed store truck in meal if needed.

We are very fortunate here. Started out cold, and stayed way too cold then very wet it seemed forever. Then we got a window, made some overmature hay but alot of new growth. Then a couple days spotty rain, then nearly 7 days of dry and some spotty rain after that. We got it all made first cutting but one late 25 acre place that is in a colder pocket and always our last field to cut. We have had some very spotty showers and downpours here, hit us one day but not the next when alot of others got some. Had fair yields on most places but off a little from last year; mostly due to the cold wet spring I think. On one new place we cut and raked and a neighbor offered to bale as it is a fair distance to this place. He had made the hay there in the past, then the place was sold, then we rented it. That field has some alfalfa in it and it made 54 4x5 rolls when the guy said it normally made about 35 or 40. I think it was 13 acres. We did fertilize it so maybe they hadn't been "feeding the crop" in the past.

We are in pretty good shape for the present time. Will start making sq bales with 2nd cutting. We need some rain to get it growing after all the 90's but this week is looking like 40-75% chance of precip everyday. Of course it could all go around us but we did get a shower just a little bit ago.

Got sorghum/sudan grass that we wanted to get made this week, but won't cut until the rain possibility is over. It is 6+ feet tall now, it'll be way taller than we want if we do get this rain, but you take it as it comes. Pastures have gotten a bit dry but we do alot of rotating so are moving cows to "new grazing". Got to get some bush hogging done and get the weeds shredded up and the grass below a chance to come back. Temps have been back to upper 60's at night and 80's days so not too bad. We will get some real hot days in August I am sure.

Sorry to hear about the heat and drought conditions for so many other members. I cannot imagine the heat and dryness in the midwest and areas that it normally is dry. We are trying to keep at least an extra 6 months hay around and feed from the older stocks first and the lesser quality to the dry cows. But any hay beats snowballs....

Jan - I'm pretty much in same condition. With leftover hay & what we got for 1st cutting, I have just about what I will need for a normal winter. 2nd cutting is SLOW coming. We generally get two wagons of squares and the rest of 2nd put up dry big bales. Keeping fingers crossed we get it!
But, I really feel for you guys/gals burning up with no hay.

Texasmark":1z122mga said:
callmefence":1z122mga said:
No chance of second cutting here. Sudan is burning up and full of aphids. Opened the gates and let the cows on it.
Their tickled to have something with some green in it.
I bought 50 5 by 5 of old coastal for 2500.00 and was proud to get it. Can get good hay trucked in for 160 a ton. That's to dam much... I got a line on some Milo hay that's what I'm going to do this year. Fed it during the drought and with a little cottonseed it's just fine.
Maybe we'll have a good year for oats.

If not no biggie. It ain't like we haven't lost money on cattle before.

I have BTDT on milo stalks, in mid winter and glad to get them regardless of price. Been awhile. Nobody around here has any planted any more now that corn is popular. See some cotton that shows up when somebody needs to do a crop rotation. So I guess it'll be corn stalks, cotton seed and maybe a little molasses on the really bad stuff for those in need.

That's the other thing. When cotton was king, about every 10 miles around here was a cotton gin. Bergs still here, some gins left, the parking lots still visible. Trailers just disappeared over the years; haven't seen one in a long time. Wolfe City had a big mill where you could buy bagged meal; may still be in operation. Haven't been there in awhile. Place looked like it's on it's last leg last time I was by there. Today I guess you'd have to have your local feed store truck in meal if needed.
I saw some milo bales on fb today , may be close to you . I'll see if I can find it again .

I saw field after field being rolled in Liberty County near Dayton last week. 2nd cutting. They must have gotten better rain than I did.
I see lots of hay moving up & down the highway so must be quite a few getting theirs cut and rolled now.
Been hot and been dry here but a chance of rain tuesday and a better one in 7 days.

Lots of hay moving around here too. I've got 12 acres of prairie hay to roll today. Wetter parts are good and drier parts are pretty thin.

Definitly need a reprieve from these temps for sure.

They were trying to get $80 for 4x5 by the Austin airport...... guess no one bought, the sign went down to $65... I am still getting this year's 5x6 blue stem and coastal at $70. More then I like to pay but I will not pay $80 for 4x5 rolls.... ANYONE KNOW THE NUTRITIONAL BENIFIT OF CORN HAY AND MILO STALKS???? These are from fields that didn't get enough rain.... corn fields all dead around here.

Latest posts