Hay Shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

Finished up , first cutting from another field on halves , figured 12.50 a bale for 4x5. Dang glad to have it, even if it was overmature. Going to give us a little breathing room , not much , but a little . If it rains just a little along , we'll be ok, got some management decisions to make anyway , to ease the pain.

I'd just like a chance to get started. Didn't have a drop of rain since the snow left, then got 4" in three days and another inch a few days later. Not looking good, but I think the rain may have slowed the grasshoppers down. 5" is close to what we expect for a year's rain and this country isn't built for that, but I think if nothing else it will be great for the pastures. Hopefully we can get on the fields soon. Oat should be good if they don't drown out.

Even with an inch of rain the other day, we'll have to start feeding hay in a few weeks....

We had no moisture from October, 2017 thru May of 2018. Many ponds are either dry or nearly dry. Some are hauling water. We get little rains once a week or so. It's just enough to keep the humidity nasty high. Today, we're 90 degrees with 52% humidity. Storms are building but they're east of me. Wheat straw is currently $100 a ton and brome hay, large rounds are $150 a ton. I've had some horse people call wanting to buy brome I had put up. They can't pay for it at these prices. They can't pay for it no matter what the price is. Cattle prices can't support these hay prices.

Chocolate Cow2":1uoyxqfo said:
We had no moisture from October, 2017 thru May of 2018. Many ponds are either dry or nearly dry. Some are hauling water. We get little rains once a week or so. It's just enough to keep the humidity nasty high. Today, we're 90 degrees with 52% humidity. Storms are building but they're east of me. Wheat straw is currently $100 a ton and brome hay, large rounds are $150 a ton. I've had some horse people call wanting to buy brome I had put up. They can't pay for it at these prices. They can't pay for it no matter what the price is. Cattle prices can't support these hay prices.
Where are you located?

Not good in east central KS. Severe drought. Brome was about 40% of avg. Start on native hay next week. Hopefully it will be a little better. Trying to find hay to buy, but no one has any to sell. Corn is burning up, a lot will become silage. Haven't fed silage since I was a kid, but looks like we will be this year, just to make it thru the winter. Ponds are drying up fast. Will probably have to start hauling water to some pastures in the next couple of weeks.

fhug":1yo6hv5o said:
Not good in east central KS. Severe drought. Brome was about 40% of avg. Start on native hay next week. Hopefully it will be a little better. Trying to find hay to buy, but no one has any to sell. Corn is burning up, a lot will become silage. Haven't fed silage since I was a kid, but looks like we will be this year, just to make it thru the winter. Ponds are drying up fast. Will probably have to start hauling water to some pastures in the next couple of weeks.
A lot can change in a few weeks and I hope it changes to the better for y'all.

I recently had a guy ask me about feeding corn silage to beef cows, which locally can be lower cost than hay.
Moving feed daily in the artic vortex is a challenge, but it can be done with the right equipment.
Someone with a sharp pencil and a warm cab tractor could buy cheap fall calvers and pour on the energy.

Based on the comments, the low yield is widespread. This is shaping up to be a defining factor for markets and producer survival.

Plenty of hay in this part of the country. We've had a few folks call trying to sell us hay at last years prices already. We pay $20+ a roll more than what most on here seem to pay for hay. But it's quality and has been tested. I paid $130 a ton when I needed the hay, now I'm willing to give $80 a ton out of the field.

True Grit Farms":3axod7bq said:
Plenty of hay in this part of the country. We've had a few folks call trying to sell us hay at last years prices already. We pay $20+ a roll more than what most on here seem to pay for hay. But it's quality and has been tested. I paid $130 a ton when I needed the hay, now I'm willing to give $80 a ton out of the field.

Not out here in Missouri. A farmer my age came over yesterday with a big hydraulic manure spreader to move a manure pile onto pasture. He is one of those guys who has been squeezing a few bucks out of cattle since he hit the ground. Not like those of us who play on cattle today. He probably has never been on the internet. He says the hay situation is complicated. First, we had a late winter. Then it went right into mid summer. The weather for first cutting was a disaster. First cutting was half what it averages. Some let first cutting go, hoping it would fill in. Now they are harvesting that first cutting and it is crap. Some are selling it at above average prices because producers are trying to recover their low yeilds by buying. Some are bringing hay in at great expense in cost and transportation. He said for these folks local - it is as bad as he has seen it.

Edited to add: prospects going forward are even more dire- it is as dry as a bone here.

Bright Raven":do7231ak said:
True Grit Farms":do7231ak said:

Not out here in Missouri. A farmer my age came over yesterday with a big hydraulic manure spreader to move a manure pile onto pasture. He is one of those guys who has been squeezing a few bucks out of cattle since he hit the ground. Not like those of us who play on cattle today. He probably has never been on the internet. He says the hay situation is complicated. First, we had a late winter. Then it went right into mid summer. The weather for first cutting was a disaster. First cutting was half what it averages. Some let first cutting go, hoping it would fill in. Now they are harvesting that first cutting and it is crap. Some are selling it at above average prices because producers are trying to recover their low yeilds by buying. Some are bringing hay in at great expense in cost and transportation. He said for these folks local - it is as bad as he has seen it.

Edited to add: prospects going forward are even more dire- it is as dry as a bone here.
From what I can gather Virginia and the Carolinas has plenty of hay. I'm thinking of buying a load or two of "cheap good hay" out of SC just to try. It's hard to buy good hay from someone you don't know and don't deal with on a regular basis. We're kind of lucky because we have peanut farmers that are also chicken farmers and they bale all their peanut fodder for hay. I need to buy a couple of thousand rolls and become a internet hay jockey, I just don't like to drive that much anymore.

True Grit Farms":1o4ibntn said:
Bright Raven":1o4ibntn said:
True Grit Farms":1o4ibntn said:

From what I can gather Virginia and the Carolinas has plenty of hay. I'm thinking of buying a load or two of "cheap good hay" out of SC just to try. It's hard to buy good hay from someone you don't know and don't deal with on a regular basis. We're kind of lucky because we have peanut farmers that are also chicken farmers and they bale all their peanut fodder for hay. I need to buy a couple of thousand rolls and become a internet hay jockey, I just don't like to drive that much anymore.

You drive more than anybody I've ever known.

TennesseeTuxedo":3r0302ci said:
True Grit Farms":3r0302ci said:
Bright Raven":3r0302ci said:

You drive more than anybody I've ever known.
That's what happens when you enjoy traveling and don't like flying commercial.

Looks like the rain gods are with us. Second cutting was getting dormant but got a bit of moisture the last couple of days and outlook looks good for the coming week for more. Might just make a second cutting after all.

Dad just cut 2nd crop yesterday should be able to dry before Thursday when they are talking more rain.

Latest posts