Hay shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
We are getting tons of hay in our area, husband has baled up over 1500 so far and our hay lots are almost full. We plan to store enough hay to get us through 2 years including if we start feeding early or feed later into the spring.
It would be nice to have hay to sell, but with rain passing us by time after time, we are getting worried that the hay we've gotten so far is all we'll get the rest of the year.
I'm curious at how everyone else is doing for hay. Do you have enough, extra, or way behind?
He just did a small hay job where all they wanted was 10 bales out of it and we got the rest. It was 25 acres and he baled 87 1100 pound bales off of it. They have another 80 acres thats going to make a bunch the guy who owns it just wants his place mowed, so we get that too.

Yields are low for lots of people in this area, what I have done so far is about average. Lots of hay ground went into crops so hay is in less supply. Less cattle also. Worried I am not going to have enough hay, will see once it is all done. Missed a good chance to cut and bale, I listened to the weather lairs and help off. Our good chance of rain did not barely settle the dust. Mine needs to be getting done.

Can't hay for the rain. All that rain that's passing you to the north, we've gotten all of it. 11" in May, over 6" since June 1 and most of that was last night. Flood warnings thru tomorrow evening.

Ouachita":3hps99w1 said:
Can't hay for the rain.

That's the way it is here, and we welcome the rain! :nod: :banana:

I see there are a couple swathers in the neighborhood that have been moved and tuned up, but the only cutting I saw done was around the community hall for election day.

One of these days it will turn hot and dry, and then we can get to it. Hay should be in good supply this year.

The folks who bought my place have taken in heifers for summer pasture and have them on the hayground.

They don't need as much hay this year because of last year's good crop and the livestock loss from Atlas.

I intend to put up my 200 acres and sell my share. I hope to get $100/ton for it. If not, I'll probably keep it over. I have no livestock of my own anymore.

Ouachita":1sf8a20r said:
Can't hay for the rain. All that rain that's passing you to the north, we've gotten all of it. 11" in May, over 6" since June 1 and most of that was last night. Flood warnings thru tomorrow evening.
Too much rain can be just as bad. That happened in 09, we got over 100 inches that year. It was the year we never had a chance to castrate and our calves got huge.. We got so sick of the rain we went on a 2 week road trip..This year its been perfect, cut, bale, rain....except, this rain seems to be pooping out as it gets to us...ugh

we have 15 bales of last years hay.and it looks like with all the rain weve had at the right times we should make 200 bales.we have 60acs thats well over knee deep and real thick.so it should make 120 to 150 bales.we have 40acs that should make 60 to 80 bales.

I got about half of what I wanted probably have enough for this year. Thinking about buying some hay there are 2 fields of milo wouldn't mind getting some hay out of those fields if I can get it cheap enough.

Being a small operation I don't need that much hay. Got 30 rolls left from last year and prepaid 60 more bales and got a $10 a ton discount on it. Guaranteed to be 11% protein or an additional discount. Will be delivered in August.

TB, what kind of hay is it that's 11%. Must be a second cut I'm thinking? That's a good way to buy hay.

Rain has messed up the hay season so far. Can't get a break between to risk cutting and dry in time--rains almost every afternoon now. Most in this county just now still trying to get 1st cutting off the ground.
Bought about 1/2 what I will need yesterday--but 1st cut bahia/rye/bermuda mix--belly filler imo, and the guy said he doesn't think he will be able to get back in his fields for at least a week to fertilize. $35/roll. Cheap enough, but not good quality.

Yields/ac are down here too. Long winter, early rains, afternoon thundershowers (got 1/2" yesterday) and lots of mud have really caused problems here....

No hay being cut here due to the rain. I talked to a few people who cut in early or mid May and they were getting 60-75% of their normal yield. This rain has really made the undergrowth take off so I'm more encouraged than I was in regards to yield. I am worried about quality and weeds taking off the longer we have to wait though.

TB, it sounds like you are dealing with a good outfit. I'd gladly entertain a deal like that myself.

Never got any rain yesterday, but it was all around. And then over night a monsoon hit. Yard is under water. Its looking good for a second cutting again. Watched the farm news this morning and has husband thinking we may sell bred heifers and lease some land near to put more cows on...

highgrit":18t5xx6i said:
TB, what kind of hay is it that's 11%. Must be a second cut I'm thinking? That's a good way to buy hay.
2nd cutting coastal. Has to be well fertilized and cut on time to get it that high. More typical would be 8-9% best.

cowgirl8":1h1c2pxn said:
Never got any rain yesterday, but it was all around. And then over night a monsoon hit. Yard is under water. Its looking good for a second cutting again. Watched the farm news this morning and has husband thinking we may sell bred heifers and lease some land near to put more cows on...
we got over an inch of rain here this morning.keeps that grass growing.

over an inch today since 1 pm.
Sure wish it would have held off. We are where we are supposed to be for total rainfall up to this date.

Latest posts