Hay shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
Getting enough hay is a problem for a large number of people in western wi this year. This got me wondering how many people buy there hay as they go through the winter rather than before winter hits?
I was at a beef meeting this weekend and got on the discussion of having enough hay, when asked what I do I told them I buy it as soon as I see it posted on craigslist. I try to buy all the hay the person is selling for the year and I show up as soon as its baled, if possible, so they're not sitting on it. When asked how I can afford to spend the money right away in the spring, my response was so I don't have to pay double when the rest of the year is dry like it was this year for us. I got burned one of my first years having cows when someone told me they would have enough hay for me with the number of bales I thought I needed and they didn't come threw. Made up my mind I would never put myself in that position again. This year I justified it by buying my hay at 30 to 38 a bale delivered, no this hay would bring 50-70 a bale at a hay auction.
The posts on craigslist and facebook of people looking for hay got me wondering, what time of year, do most of you do your hay purchasing?

I only buy standing hay but often sell hay. The way you buy is from my perspective a great way of doing business. What I've noticed primarily from people who buy small quantities of hay is that they wait too long or try and only buy what they'd need in a best case scenario. If winter/spring drags out they come back again and again to buy small quantities to get through to when they hope to stop feeding. I only allow this as it suits me to load (meaning no special trips) and when I can't sell it all to somebody else. As a seller the objective is to sell the hay, not maybe sell the hay. I'd never short my own cows or turn down an offer to buy all the hay I have to sell because someone else isn't planning their feed supply properly. Most bigger operations I have contact with know how much feed they need for winter and source it as soon as they can but of course there's always exceptions.

I think you are wise buying it that way. I'm not in the hay business but had a surplus and a guy asked how much I wanted for it. I told him $25/roll if he came on and got it before I had to move it from where it sat. He said he was coming right away but didn't work on Sunday. Never saw him till midwinter when he shows up wanting the hay at what I quoted him months early. It was $50 on that day.

Very wise to buy hay that way. I've bought and sold hay and I am in the second category for the second year, won't happen again.

We don't buy alot of hay because we make alot and sell some. But we do buy some if offered to us for a fairly cheap price as we believe we can't have too much hay. When we sell it, the square bales are pretty much earmarked for the different buyers as to what they normally have used in the past, or what they say they will need. For our regular customers, we deliver when they call & say they are getting down and try to do it when the ground is dry or frozen enough to get to their barns. We don't worry about having some squares extra, or not taken, because we always have people wanting it.
The rounds we will sell direct out of the field, a little break if we don't have to move it to rows. Had a lady say she wanted 10 or maybe 15. Came and got one and will only get 1 or 2 at a time. A pain, but she said she will call and come get it at our convenience. She also prepaid for 10.
If someone says they want xx number, they had better prepay. We will keep it, but prefer to have them come get it and have it at their place. A few tried and true customers, it is different. If anyone doesn't come and get it, or doesn't return calls when we check to see if they still want it, then it is fair game for the next one. Since we feed quite a few head of cattle, we don't worry if we have more left over than not.
If I were buying, and I really liked the hay, I would prepay, and try to get it all moved to my place so I would be sure of having it.

i try to make all mine, most people that sell hay are selling stems, seeds, and possibly some dry rank grass. the ones who do seem to make good hay either don't have very much, or they make the bales so light and loose that its like buying a 1/4 bale.

I sold my hay equipment in '98 and haven't looked back. That said I always get hay bought before September and I prefer to do it early as possible. The last thing I want is to be looking for hay this time of the year.

ddd75 said:
i try to make all mine, most people that sell hay are selling stems, seeds, and possibly some dry rank grass. the ones who do seem to make good hay either don't have very much, or they make the bales so light and loose that its like buying a 1/4 bale.

Really?? Some amazingly good hay is available all over the state. Just depends on what you're looking for. And there is some pretty trashy stuff as well. Most of it is "as advertised" and priced accordingly. Know who you're dealing with and you won't have stems, seeds and dry rank grass for hay. ddd I doubt I could ever buy anything from you as you tend to grossly exaggerate everything no matter the topic of discussion. :lol2:

TexasBred said:
ddd75 said:

Really?? Some amazingly good hay is available all over the state. Just depends on what you're looking for. And there is some pretty trashy stuff as well. Most of it is "as advertised" and priced accordingly. Know who you're dealing with and you won't have stems, seeds and dry rank grass for hay. ddd I doubt I could ever buy anything from you as you tend to grossly exaggerate everything no matter the topic of discussion. :lol2:

I agree 100% TB.
My hay man is fantastic supplies fertilized hay and delivery to the house for 50 bucks a roll.
I don't have to drag that float back and forth loaded with hay.
When I sold my hay equipment I had 36 dollars a roll in them with fuel fertilizer and maintenance.
I hadn't paid myself a dime.
I have a standing order with him my problem is my hay man is 71.

uplandnut said:
Getting enough hay is a problem for a large number of people in western wi this year. This got me wondering how many people buy there hay as they go through the winter rather than before winter hits?
I was at a beef meeting this weekend and got on the discussion of having enough hay, when asked what I do I told them I buy it as soon as I see it posted on craigslist. I try to buy all the hay the person is selling for the year and I show up as soon as its baled, if possible, so they're not sitting on it. When asked how I can afford to spend the money right away in the spring, my response was so I don't have to pay double when the rest of the year is dry like it was this year for us. I got burned one of my first years having cows when someone told me they would have enough hay for me with the number of bales I thought I needed and they didn't come threw. Made up my mind I would never put myself in that position again. This year I justified it by buying my hay at 30 to 38 a bale delivered, no this hay would bring 50-70 a bale at a hay auction.
The posts on craigslist and facebook of people looking for hay got me wondering, what time of year, do most of you do your hay purchasing?
Side note, was that the Northern WI Beef Producer's meeting in Rice Lake by chance?

Caustic Burno said:
TexasBred said:
ddd75 said:

I agree 100% TB.
My hay man is fantastic supplies fertilized hay and delivery to the house for 50 bucks a roll.
I don't have to drag that float back and forth loaded with hay.
When I sold my hay equipment I had 36 dollars a roll in them with fuel fertilizer and maintenance.
I hadn't paid myself a dime.
I have a standing order with him my problem is my hay man is 71.
Yep and I know he loves having that standing order and payment on the spot. Good hay can still be bought.

Up here, NE of Dallas, I raised what the weather would let me raise, loosing some as usual, and bought what I thought I could sell last summer at the right price. I ran out in late Dec. Customers are scratching and as I said elsewhere, price is $80-100 bucks a roll worth $25 normally or not available. Just because you see it sitting around doesn't mean it's available....usually back off the road with no for sale sign visible are your first two clues. Third is when they come to the door with their shot gun and a bad dog............

Yep and I know he loves having that standing order and payment on the spot. Good hay can still be bought.

There is hay available here right now, but better get your hammer for the piggy bank.
I got mine early last summer before all that rain came but right now, the cheapest I've seen was $70/ 4x5 bale of bahia and it did not look very good.

Saw a lot more hay on my way up to NE Texas last week, but it had been out in the weather at least since last spring. Dark and ugly looking. An 18 wheeler with 50' float was sitting by some building supply in Mineola (by the RR tracks) with signage selling some really bad looking round bales for $80/roll.

TexasBred said:
ddd75 said:

i suppose. there are a few guys around here, but they want 65 - 80 a roll depending on cut.

I'm sure its good hay, but you can't feed cows that and make any money.

most land here is dedicated to row cropping.. so there is very little hay around.

ddd75 said:
TexasBred said:
ddd75 said:

i suppose. there are a few guys around here, but they want 65 - 80 a roll depending on cut.

I'm sure its good hay, but you can't feed cows that and make any money.

most land here is dedicated to row cropping.. so there is very little hay around.

Sometimes you do what you have to do and just pay it and move on. We're buying a few loads of really good $60 a roll from the guy that we buy our $30 a roll hay from. When no one's going to be around to supplement the cows, I'll put 10 rolls of cheap hay out in the pine trees with the net wrap still on, and 2 trailer loads of really good hay and call it good enough for a week.

I am slowly becoming a hay peddler. I am not trying to make a mint just be a little more diverse. I try and sell some out of the fields on 2nd and 3rd cut after I know I have what I need. I had several people stop and inquire on my 3 Rd cutting because it was some of the best I ever made. My baler is 4×5 the bale is 700# or so . This size bale is perfect for the folks that want 1at a time. These people are not a garuntee either so it takes a little faith they will show up.

One guy that has bought last few years stopped and wanted 50 bales. Pulled out a tape and started measuring bales . I told him if he wanted to buy buy the ton I would sell by the ton but we were going to usescales and not a tape. He said I was too high and as I was walking away I said if the bales make it to the barn before he gets back add 10 a roll.

I had a lady my brother used to date call late summer needing hay I helped her out because the crap she was feeding her horses was starving them to death. After first load they started to turn and I take her 10 bales every 15 days at 35 a bale. Then I have a guy that has bought the other guys 50 bales one at a time. And he calls me and is at the barn on time every time. From that I have have several more get hay from me. I plan on converting more to Bermuda this year . I try o make hay that I would feed to my animals and as long as it passes that quality control it's fit to sell.

A buddy of mine called me looking for sone said he's gonna be out by the end of the week. He told me he'd sell out before he pays 80-90 a roll like what people are asking for around here right now.

DCA farm said:
A buddy of mine called me looking for sone said he's gonna be out by the end of the week. He told me he'd sell out before he pays 80-90 a roll like what people are asking for around here right now.

Better put a pencil to that first.
Calf prices are livable cow you almost have to pay the barn to take them.
The buyers know there is a hay shortage. My hay man told me he made less hay last year than in the 2011 drought. Wouldn't quit raining.

As close as we are to spring I would bulk cube them.

Caustic Burno said:
DCA farm said:

Better put a pencil to that first.
Calf prices are livable cow you almost have to pay the barn to take them.
The buyers know there is a hay shortage. My hay man told me he made less hay last year than in the 2011 drought. Wouldn't quit raining.

As close as we are to spring I would bulk cube them.
Not my cows nothing for me to pencil I found him some square bales and a few rolls he is supposed to go get them $55 a roll not great price but a lot better than 85-90 End of march everything will start greening up around here.

Latest posts