Shooting cows with birdshot

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
T'was steel. Spent 3 days in the ICU. The doctors wouldn't have left it in had it been lead.

Ive never seen any one drop a cow before. How does that work without hurting them ?

gerardplauche":1v7nm9u4 said:
Ryder - I am in the mood to hear one of your snake stories. Please share.
Got to be careful about going from cows to snakes. Some Rx cowboys always want to complain about hijacking the thread. But Jogeephus has given me some good tips about how to get at them.
Weather last two days , as you well know, has been excellent. Temp. in 70s now should have them out and about. Wanted to go look about for them yesterday, but I keep running out of daylight.

Have you noticed birds with all their chirping and singing. They think it is spring. Personally I never cared much for birds.

milkmaid":32i5kbfg said:
If you shoot a cow today it wil not take long and the BB just rusts away and there is no trace. Like a fish hook in a fish.

Wrong.

I was shot in a hunting accident years ago - shotgun - and over 7 years later I still carry those BBs. Can see and feel the ones close to the surface. Don't ever tell me they'll "rust away", and don't EVER tell me it "won't take long" for them to disappear. Mine aren't a bit smaller nowdays than they were the day I was shot. Someone sure fed you a bunch'a nonsense.

I will take your word for it that the bb does not rust away if you take my word that the bbs don't hurt any thing. :D YOu must have been shot at close range... :(

Brute 23":lytsqiqz said:
milkmaid":lytsqiqz said:
If you shoot a cow today it wil not take long and the BB just rusts away and there is no trace. Like a fish hook in a fish.

Wrong.

I was shot in a hunting accident years ago - shotgun - and over 7 years later I still carry those BBs. Can see and feel the ones close to the surface. Don't ever tell me they'll "rust away", and don't EVER tell me it "won't take long" for them to disappear. Mine aren't a bit smaller nowdays than they were the day I was shot. Someone sure fed you a bunch'a nonsense.

I will take your word for it that the bb does not rust away if you take my word that the bbs don't hurt any thing. :D YOu must have been shot at close range... :(
Milkmaid is right. Friend of mine got shot and shot are still in him. They acn't do an MRI on him because of it.

Ryder":131k1fi9 said:
Milkmaid is right. Friend of mine got shot and shot are still in him. They acn't do an MRI on him because of it.

Same here... I really ought to wear one of those medical alert bracelets.

Hunting buddy was about 40 yards away; t'was close enough.

Folks, This thread is about shooting at cattle not people. I have shot at alot of cattle, rat shot and bigger. I have shot(to kill) bulls that were to dangerous to catch. I have roped, tied and loaded hundreds of wild cattle in the pasture. When I have shot at cattle, the last thing on my mind was not hurting them. If I have 8 dogs on a grown horned bull in a thicket and he runs out trying to stick a horn in my horse and then me, I am going to try to hurt him. The largest bull that my partner and I have roped and loaded went 2653# at the sale barn. The largest bull that got my horse down and camped on both of us went 2420#. Wild cattle and rank bulls are dangerous, they take a little firmer hand than some of you are use to.

I know that most of you have never seen true wild cattle, but they are out there. And so am I.

Wild Cattle":20iuk6ml said:
Folks, This thread is about shooting at cattle not people. I have shot at alot of cattle, rat shot and bigger. I have shot(to kill) bulls that were to dangerous to catch. I have roped, tied and loaded hundreds of wild cattle in the pasture. When I have shot at cattle, the last thing on my mind was not hurting them. If I have 8 dogs on a grown horned bull in a thicket and he runs out trying to stick a horn in my horse and then me, I am going to try to hurt him. The largest bull that my partner and I have roped and loaded went 2653# at the sale barn. The largest bull that got my horse down and camped on both of us went 2420#. Wild cattle and rank bulls are dangerous, they take a little firmer hand than some of you are use to.

I know that most of you have never seen true wild cattle, but they are out there. And so am I.

I have no strong opinion one way or another on shooting cattle... and I'll reserve my opinion on wild cattle since I have no experience there. All I wished to point out was that anyone who says that shot will disappear on its own is full of it. It doesn't and it won't short of surgical removal.

There is a TON more lead in most people's water than in a cow some one shoots with bird shot.

The consumer has been eating meat like that since they were born, so did their parents, parents, parents, ect. WHy stop now? The media has talked them into fear and away from common sense... that is why. People are smart as individuals and dumb when they group up...

Wow!

I'm taking notes. Amazing how cattlemen can think. Sure, shotguns allow you to herd cattle, but there won't be any market because the "dumb" consumers don't like shot in their beef??!!

The consumers are the problem! They are spoiled! We need to ratchet up the lead in beef so they become more accepting!

This does open up opportunities for some of us to get the advantage by marketing unleaded beef.

milkmaid":nbry4bff said:
All I wished to point out was that anyone who says that shot will disappear on its own is full of it. It doesn't and it won't short of surgical removal.

Easy now, I truely did not know it would take so long. You corrected me now let it be. I appreciate it, in no way would I ever want to purposely put out wrong info. We eat our own cattle and have not found a bb in my life time, or my parents. :tiphat:

I truely have not seen bbs penetrate very deep ON CATTLE unless as wild cattle said, the cowboy was shooting to kill. I HAVE BEEN THERE AND SEEN IT. There hide is different then our skin... lets keep animals and humans seperate here.

Brute 23":31nuox3s said:
milkmaid":31nuox3s said:
All I wished to point out was that anyone who says that shot will disappear on its own is full of it. It doesn't and it won't short of surgical removal.

Easy now, I truely did not know it would take so long. You corrected me now let it be. I appreciate it, in no way would I ever want to purposely put out wrong info. We eat our own cattle and have not found a bb in my life time, or my parents. :tiphat:

I truely have not seen bbs penetrate very deep ON CATTLE unless as wild cattle said, the cowboy was shooting to kill. I HAVE BEEN THERE AND SEEN IT. There hide is different then our skin... lets keep animals and humans seperate here.

You are right. I thought we were keeping them seperate.
Cow hide and human hide not the same at all.
Of course there are those that don't know the difference. :dunce: So I guess you did need to pont that out.

The danger in this type of discussion is this:

Some rookie buys some cows and turnes them out, and come here for advise. Ya'll have him convinced that all cattle have a name and eat out of you hand. Then the neighbors bull shows up one day and will not leave. Now the rookie gets out his cake bucket and wants the lead Mr. bull back out the gate. Well this might be the bull that will stick a horn through his ribs before he can run back to the truck. And then his widow can sell that 12 gauge that was in his truck at the time in the estate sale. All strange cattle should be approached with caution, and yes a load of 6's in the back side does make them stay home.

Brute 23":35zomrzu said:
People have been eating it since for ever and it hasn't hurt any thing yet? Why change now? If we conform to them and all this stuff they are going to put us out of business. We need to step up and tell them to get with the program or don't eat the meat.

I would love to see some one walk out to the ranch with that "Audit" and tell the forman that... :lol2:

If Ford had this attitude they'd still be offering only black cars that go 30 miles an hour.Their consumers would not be buying them. Consumers are more informed now than ever before about everything they purchase, including meat. The media and especially the internet has made a huge difference.
Now, I don't think we should cater to PETA, how can we, they don't want us eating cows at all, they are also not the majority of the population. As producers of a product we have to keep the target market of our product in our minds at all times and keep them satisfied. Our target market is the non-ranch woman who is going to the grocery store and choosing what to feed her family.
A prime example is a comment a a non-rancher friend made to me: "Since I met you and now know your cows and know how well they live I am buying more beef." I had answered her questions on our handling practises. My brother works for a slaughterhouse and I explained how things work there. She understands that the cows and calves have some pain in their lives (castration etc) but she also knows that our animals are comfortable, taken care of, not abused, fed well and slaughtered humanely. She is happy and can eat steak guilt-free. That as a cattle producer is my goal - to have people feeling good about eating beef. I will do what I need to do to accomplish that goal.
If cattle producers as a whole do not take a stand against the things that their consumers find abusive then we will all be in trouble. Beef is not the only thing to eat. Taking a stand and saying accept this or don't eat it won't work. There'll be many people who just won't eat it.

Wild Cattle":rx3dkady said:
The danger in this type of discussion is this:

Some rookie buys some cows and turnes them out, and come here for advise. Ya'll have him convinced that all cattle have a name and eat out of you hand. Then the neighbors bull shows up one day and will not leave. Now the rookie gets out his cake bucket and wants the lead Mr. bull back out the gate. Well this might be the bull that will stick a horn through his ribs before he can run back to the truck. And then his widow can sell that 12 gauge that was in his truck at the time in the estate sale. All strange cattle should be approached with caution, and yes a load of 6's in the back side does make them stay home.

That is a good point... :|

Victoria":2ujcanei said:
OK, Wild Cattle I have got to ask. Why was the cow being loaded? Did she actually get sold?

:???:

Wild Cattle":2ujcanei said:
I make part of my living catching wild cattle. "Wild cattle" means cattle that will try to kill you if they can. this is a 4 yr plus SG cow that had been pinned once in her life. She was bayed with dogs roped tied and loaded with a winch. She broke 2 gates in the pens before we got her on the trailer.

Now you can try that feed sack "here baby" stuff, but we got wild cattle in Texas and that stuff might get you killed.

BTW, bird shot does not penatrate the skin, so the panic about bird shot in the meat supply can stop.

Victoria":2ujcanei said:
If Ford had this attitude they'd still be offering only black cars that go 30 miles an hour.Their consumers would not be buying them. Consumers are more informed now than ever before about everything they purchase, including meat. The media and especially the internet has made a huge difference.

Ford started the assembly line. They had no options. Its wasn't until after GM started offering options did Ford fall in line... but I know what you meant. ;-)

The media preaches hysteria so people by more products that will supposetly protect them and so you will turn on their channel every day to seek guidence instead of gettin out there, experiencing it yourself and making your own, educated opinion. Its much easier to watch or read and just conform though right. :roll:

WAguy":1h8qirly said:
There is a TON more lead in most people's water than in a cow some one shoots with bird shot.

The consumer has been eating meat like that since they were born, so did their parents, parents, parents, ect. WHy stop now? The media has talked them into fear and away from common sense... that is why. People are smart as individuals and dumb when they group up...

Wow!

I'm taking notes. Amazing how cattlemen can think. Sure, shotguns allow you to herd cattle, but there won't be any market because the "dumb" consumers don't like shot in their beef??!!

The consumers are the problem! They are spoiled! We need to ratchet up the lead in beef so they become more accepting!

This does open up opportunities for some of us to get the advantage by marketing unleaded beef.

Its the McDonalds wrapper, Biggie fry, and Biggie drink that is killing Asmericans... not the lead in the patty. That should be the least of their concerns... :lol2:

ALACOWMAN":3pbfc50b said:
>>>>>Pretty representative photo<<<< representative of what>>> southern cattle ? not hardly you dont like cheap shot's, then don't give them

Get a grip, fer crying out loud !!

I agree with wild cattle. Any means nesscary. I have had the next door bull in several times and buckets dont work but dogs do. what ever it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts