Shooting cows with birdshot

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Neighbor told me he has been shooting his cows with 12 guage number eights to keep them out of his hayfield. Do people use this management practice where you farm?
I saw a man "correct" his lab like this one day and killed him.

i would never shoot a cow or bull with birdshot.doing so to get them out of a hay field is mean an useless in my book.i know some people that do that to their cows.but they dont care if they kill or hurt them.

denoginnizer":3kzttz90 said:
Neighbor told me he has been shooting his cows with 12 guage number eights to keep them out of his hayfield. Do people use this management practice where you farm?
I saw a man "correct" his lab like this one day and killed him.

That is nothing new been going on for years. Used to be a lot more common when we still had open range here.

Your neighbour belongs in a cell with the packing plant criminals discussed in other threads.

A disgrace to both cattlemen and gun owners.

i've seen bulls shot with birdshot. my dog even had some in it's hips when he was Xrayed for hip displacer.

Them bulls sure did go home in a hurry. i don't hold with it.

I know one fellow who has and will use rat-shot to keep his cows from crossing over his cattle guards. And I know another man who has used the bird-shot method of keeping his cattle from going where they shoudn't.

Katherine

I might shoot one of the neighbors plug cows, but I can't imagine me shooting my own.

I think this is one of the stupidest things I have read or heard today.

Put up a damn fence what the h@ll is wrong with people??????????????Some people need to pull their heads out of their @sses.

I've heard if they find shot in the carcass it is condemmed. Does anyone know if this is true? Either way, it's a bad idea.

I use a .410.

A 12 gauge might have too much punch.

The intent is a sting, like a hotshot or electric fence shock.

Mine always find the "hole" they went through, and go back home when I sting them.

ALX.":2xh7t3xr said:
Your neighbour belongs in a cell with the packing plant criminals discussed in other threads.

A disgrace to both cattlemen and gun owners.

How long have you been working cattle? Sounds the same as using a heat shot. I wouldn't do it though, why risk getting a blind one by shooting into a herd.

hillsdown":3iycwqaf said:
I think this is one of the stupidest things I have read or heard today.

Put up a be nice fence what the h@ll is wrong with people??????????????Some people need to pull their heads out of their @sses.
I agree

Larry

CattleHand":2gzz66zx said:
How long have you been working cattle?

It wouldn't matter if it was a week or 50 years, I am possessed of the good sense to know that if this practise was picked up by the media it would punch our industry in the guts again. Once again a small group of idiots making the rest of us look bad.

I also have the knowledge and cattle sense to run my herd without using my firearms to control them.

What a moronic question. Welcome to 2008.

Yes with bird shot if they are lucky. It is common practice for guys to carry rat shot to work cows with.

I have been known to pull out the deer rifle and shoot problem cattle, its alot cheaper than fixing fence all the time or taking the chance of some one getting hurt.

I have a friend that uses a BB gun, it seems very effective and does no damage.

grannysoo":v98ym98n said:
If only stupidity were painful.............

:cry2: Yes and we should also do away with all the barbed wire with the sharp points that might stick a poor cow.

KenB":3ohkb8ea said:
grannysoo":3ohkb8ea said:
If only stupidity were painful.............

:cry2: Yes and we should also do away with all the barbed wire with the sharp points that might stick a poor cow.

And I dont think anyone should ever prod or smack a cow or calf with a stick it just isnt right. Maybe we can just put a lead on every cow in the pasture on walk them to where we need them. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts