Shooting cows with birdshot

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to see that guy stand out in the field and take a load of #8's , and see if does't hurt. I as much as my cows piss me off from time to time I would never even think of something like that.

First of all, shooting them with bird shot at any distance over about 75 feet is not going to do anything but sting their butts. It won't even break their skin!

Second, I've had cattle that could jump over a five wire fence and electric fences didn't stop them either. So in that case don't use a shotgun, use a .45 - between their eyes. Taking them to the sale barn, if you can catch them, just moves the problem to someone else.

Now, before all you tree huggers get your drawers twisted in a knot, I've never shot one with a shot gun and I'm not "mean" to my animals either. I don't abuse them in any way.

Earl Thigpen":x76lfezu said:
First of all, shooting them with bird shot at any distance over about 75 feet is not going to do anything but sting their butts. It won't even break their skin!

You volunteering to hold a cow hide in front of you while shorty lets loose from 25 yards away Earl??
:roll:

Second, I've had cattle that could jump over a five wire fence and electric fences didn't stop them either. So in that case don't use a shotgun, use a .45 - between their eyes. Taking them to the sale barn, if you can catch them, just moves the problem to someone else. Different situation Earl, I have shot several cattle with my shotgun, but I used a single one ounce pellet.

Now, before all you tree huggers get your drawers twisted in a knot, I've never shot one with a shot gun and I'm not "mean" to my animals either. I don't abuse them in any way.
Nope, you just condone it when others mistreat livestock.

Don't shoot in face or udder. Have heard of usng salt in shells instead of shot. Don't know who would keep a supply of salt filled shells on hand.

This is usually not an everyday cattle handling technique. Used for chronic "violators".
Some advocate using 3006 and permanently alleviating the problem. I think this is more severe than birdshot. But someimes may be needed.

I have had a few neighbors that would have really liked you folks that would not use a little bird shot on a cow. You cannot drive a cow that will not run from you. If you have got make them move a shot gun with bird shot works nicely and you don't get run down by a mean cow.

CattleHand I would love to watch you try to put a lead on Woman Hater and Crazy 309. I always do love a good rodeo.

Red Bull that is correct. If you can't get that animal to move and you need them to move you do what works. I've known bulls that have taken trucks, horses and 4-wheelers. Bet a pellet gun or bird shot would have worked.

Fred":1vwn6wxh said:
I've heard if they find shot in the carcass it is condemmed. Does anyone know if this is true? Either way, it's a bad idea.
That will be at the discretion of the inspector. I've seen a case were a complete front qtr. was condemned on account of a lodged broken needle. Looked good on the outside but man you wanna talk about a mess under the hide. That is why meat must be inspected if sold for retail. Things like that might slip thru without inspection. As will drug residues. Some less than honest cattlemen sometimes buy sick cattle at auction with no history of prior medications then slaughter said cattle without inspection within 36 days. Now a unsuspecting consumer is buying meat with the potential to be full of drug residues. That is even more scary than cattle with a hind qtr. full of lead shot. Atleast you can spit the lead shot out as you eat it. Drug residues slide right down with that good home raised meat. ;-)

I luv herfrds":172qwz2e said:
CattleHand I would love to watch you try to put a lead on Woman Hater and Crazy 309. I always do love a good rodeo.

Red Bull that is correct. If you can't get that animal to move and you need them to move you do what works. I've known bulls that have taken trucks, horses and 4-wheelers. Bet a pellet gun or bird shot would have worked.

I was being extremely sarcastic : ) I agree with you. I was pokin fun at the guys that were upset over the matter. On another matter, I was working with my grandpa loading a big bull calf for some folks that they had kind of kept as a pet. When I put a stick across his hind side they looked at me like I had just hit their daughter. But sounds like there are two sides to this arguement: 1) Its wrong and inhumane and 2)It doesnt hurt them but not my prefered way

I know you were Cattle Hand, just thought I would join in. :D
Someday I will sneak those two pain in the backsides on the trailer and I won't have to worry about getting kicked in the head. Luckily Woman Hater missed.

I luv herfrds":39fj2k30 said:
I know you were Cattle Hand, just thought I would join in. :D
Someday I will sneak those two pain in the backsides on the trailer and I won't have to worry about getting kicked in the head. Luckily Woman Hater missed.

If you are willing to put enough money on the table I will try it : ) :banana:

Red Bull Breeder":1fcidleu said:
I have had a few neighbors that would have really liked you folks that would not use a little bird shot on a cow. You cannot drive a cow that will not run from you. If you have got make them move a shot gun with bird shot works nicely and you don't get run down by a mean cow.
I don't want my cows to run from me if I have to drive em. I want them walking. Easier to move them if they want to come with you.

somn":1194f0hy said:
Fred":1194f0hy said:
Now a unsuspecting consumer is buying meat with the potential to be full of drug residues. That is even more scary than cattle with a hind qtr. full of lead shot. Atleast you can spit the lead shot out as you eat it. Drug residues slide right down with that good home raised meat. ;-)
Personally, I'd prefer the drug residues to breaking a tooth on lead shot. And again as far as marketing goes, that busted tooth is going to do alot more damage than unknowingly eating less harmful antibiotics.

Angus/Brangus":9tqadxzl said:
I met a "cowboy for hire" a couple of years ago that talked of getting bulls out of the high brush using rat shot. Claimed it didn't break the skin but was very effective.

Yes, that is exactly what they do. Its very common. Even the guys who use helicopters carry pistols with rat shot. They like to take the newbies up and when cattle won't come out of the brush they set them down with the pistol and send them in the chase them out.

The side by side, sawed off shotgun, some call them snake charmers are very popular too.

Sounds like something the teachers could use at school to hurry the kids in from the playground. As long as they wern't to close or hit them in the eye I am sure there would be no damage. Probably be a good trick to use on the pets and wifes. If they get a little fiesty just ''sting'' them a little and they will settle down quick. :nod:

Ryder":6stzjai0 said:
Don't shoot in face or udder. Have heard of usng salt in shells instead of shot. Don't know who would keep a supply of salt filled shells on hand.

People that raise watermelons did when I was a kid. :roll:

I tell ya, some of the crap posted on here is almost laughable. Some of you tell beginners you never keep a cow you can't go around, then you tell them to carry a baseball bat, hot shot, etc., now a shotgun, 45, 30-06 and who knows what else for that problem cow. What happened to taking them to the auction and selling them for slaughter only and getting some hard earned bucks instead of feeding the vultures, which you hate so bad. I've never found a need to carry a bat, club, or whatever to work around cattle, but do use a whip, which is not used to beat them with, but to pop it in the air next to them, and I've never had one that did'nt move. But then the cows I keep are docile or I don't retain them as heifers. and, yeah, I scratch, pet, and talk to 'em as I walk amongst them. The only time I've ever shot one I used a syringe. But then I've always thought I was smarter than a cow, but lately I've been rethinking that as I work pretty hard feeding, bedding, seeing they have fresh water, etc., so maybe they are smarter than I give them credit for. After all they do give me a lot of crap,..which I have to haul off. Oh well, to each his own.

Roadapple":1cdsy6tp said:
I tell ya, some of the crap posted on here is almost laughable. Some of you tell beginners you never keep a cow you can't go around, then you tell them to carry a baseball bat, hot shot, etc., now a shotgun, 45, 30-06 and who knows what else for that problem cow. What happened to taking them to the auction and selling them for slaughter only and getting some hard earned bucks instead of feeding the vultures, which you hate so bad. I've never found a need to carry a bat, club, or whatever to work around cattle, but do use a whip, which is not used to beat them with, but to pop it in the air next to them, and I've never had one that did'nt move. But then the cows I keep are docile or I don't retain them as heifers. and, yeah, I scratch, pet, and talk to 'em as I walk amongst them. The only time I've ever shot one I used a syringe. But then I've always thought I was smarter than a cow, but lately I've been rethinking that as I work pretty hard feeding, bedding, seeing they have fresh water, etc., so maybe they are smarter than I give them credit for. After all they do give me a lot of crap,..which I have to haul off. Oh well, to each his own.

The ones they shoot with rat shot and stuff are not always problem cattle. They just like to stay hidden in the thick brush.

There are different things you got to do for different operations. There are no dead set rules to working cattle, you do what has to be done. Any one who makes rules that they thins always works is nieve.

Although there are alot of things to prevent it ever getting that far, it does get that far. Then what? Its too late to go back and say, dang, I should have sold that cow a long time ago. All you can do, is what has to be done... live and learn.

Brute 23":3gspp98n said:
Roadapple":3gspp98n said:

The ones they shoot with rat shot and stuff are not always problem cattle. They just like to stay hidden in the thick brush.

There are different things you got to do for different operations. There are no dead set rules to working cattle, you do what has to be done. Any one who makes rules that they thins always works is nieve.

Although there are alot of things to prevent it ever getting that far, it does get that far. Then what? Its too late to go back and say, dang, I should have sold that cow a long time ago. All you can do, is what has to be done... live and learn.

Brute there you go with all that reality talk again.
You know very well that is not included in he hobby farmers handbook.
:lol:

Brute 23":31mkzctp said:

No, you do what you are capable of doing in a responsible humane manner.

People who use firearms to "correct" or "herd" cattle are less capable, inept, lazy, stupid or all 4.

Just another bombshell of idiocy waiting to explode on the industry.

Outta this one, up here the practice would land you in jail and likely have you prohibited from owning livestock and firearms. Sometimes laws really do serve a purpose, luckily they don't apply to most of us with common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts