Shooting cows with birdshot

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryder - I am in the mood to hear one of your snake stories. Please share.

mwj":29e85epj said:
Sounds like something the teachers could use at school to hurry the kids in from the playground. As long as they wern't to close or hit them in the eye I am sure there would be no damage. Probably be a good trick to use on the pets and wifes. If they get a little fiesty just ''sting'' them a little and they will settle down quick. :nod:

I sure hope my wife doesn't read this and get ideas.... I already have to keep the cattle prod locked up for fear she will turn it on me!!!

Jon

Brute 23":26otlb1e said:
Dog can tear a cow up more than shooting them. A dog has no problem jumping up and grabbing the nose or an ear. Some dogs can be pretty rough.

No problems with using dogs to pen or catch cattle. The ears and nose are not in the food chain. Bird shot in the meat is a problem. I know South Texas brush country is tough and your methods have to be tough, but birdshot is unacceptable.

l_e62f4d1d89ae127fc7fca106fbf60618.jpg

I make part of my living catching wild cattle. "Wild cattle" means cattle that will try to kill you if they can. this is a 4 yr plus SG cow that had been pened once in her life. She was bayed with dogs roped tied and loaded with a winch. She broke 2 gates in the pens before we got her on the trailer.

Now you can try that feed sack "here baby" stuff, but we got wild cattle in Texas and that stuff might get you killed.

BTW, bird shot does not penatrate the skin, so the panic about bird shot in the meat supply can stop.

Wild Cattle":so0f82r6 said:

I make part of my living catching wild cattle. "Wild cattle" means cattle that will try to kill you if they can. this is a 4 yr plus SG cow that had been pened once in her life. She was bayed with dogs roped tied and loaded with a winch. She broke 2 gates in the pens before we got her on the trailer.

Now you can try that feed sack "here baby" stuff, but we got wild cattle in Texas and that stuff might get you killed.

BTW, bird shot does not penatrate the skin, so the panic about bird shot in the meat supply can stop.
aint she just adorable, i could just give her a big ol hugg :p

Wild Cattle":372e9kx1 said:

Evidently, you have not seen a copy of the last National Non-fed Beef Quality Audit. Birdshot in carcasses was identified as a food adulteration issue.

BC":1ba7kjns said:
Wild Cattle":1ba7kjns said:

Evidently, you have not seen a copy of the last National Non-fed Beef Quality Audit. Birdshot in carcasses was identified as a food adulteration issue.
Like anything it has to be used correctly. A problem could be needles suck in cattle if everyone vaccinated their cattle like morons : )

Wild Cattle":uoxdsc1h said:

Wildcattle this is a good post. Should be very educational for those who have never worked rank cattle.

BC":34wxximv said:
Wild Cattle":34wxximv said:

People have been eating it since for ever and it hasn't hurt any thing yet? Why change now? If we conform to them and all this stuff they are going to put us out of business. We need to step up and tell them to get with the program or don't eat the meat.

I would love to see some one walk out to the ranch with that "Audit" and tell the forman that... :lol2:

ive had rank cattle thats calm in the pasture an corral.as long as your not messing with them.but once you start moving them they get in your hipp pocket.loaded a cull cow.that keep charging me an hitting the fence while we was loading her.then raised thunder in the trailer while we was penning them in the front of the trailer.

I liked the picture. I have saw cattle like that old SG before if you shook a feed sack at her in that pen she would sure enough come to see you. No dought in my mind she would be more than willing to let you pat her on the head.

I have seen bird shot used with a 410. my neighbors bulls keep breaking the fence. we got him out and he shot him in the rear with bird shot. I have not seen him in a while. I could see using a bb gun but i would be worried about using a 12 guage.

I have a question about those 15000 acre Texas brush pastures. If you can not get close enough to the cattle to move them how in the world do you get close enough to ''sting'' them with ''rat shot''? What size is this elusive ''rat'' shot ? What would you say the effective range is. Seems like I am hearing some facts that do not add up :roll:

MWJ rat shot is a 22 cal. shot shell you can kill snakes with at 20 feet or so with a pistol a little farther with a rifle. At 40 maybe 50 feet you are just just peppering any thing else. It is not a matter of getting close enough to move them it is a matter of how close you want to be to them. There is cattle that willnot run from you they run at you.

I have never had to use a shotgun on cattle. However I have been peppered myself while hunting dove or ducks. Never had any bb's penetrat my thin skin however.

popsjp":3rotok1g said:
I have never had to use a shotgun on cattle. However I have been peppered myself while hunting dove or ducks. Never had any bb's penetrat my thin skin however.
Then you were standing to far away. Next time move closer. :D

mwj":1263ustc said:
I have a question about those 15000 acre Texas brush pastures. If you can not get close enough to the cattle to move them how in the world do you get close enough to ''sting'' them with ''rat shot''? What size is this elusive ''rat'' shot ? What would you say the effective range is. Seems like I am hearing some facts that do not add up :roll:

Rat shot uses less powder than a .22 but pushes multiple bbs. Not sure what size exactly... maybe around #9s.

Its not that you can't get close to them. Alot of times you can ride in close enough to get a shot off but can't get real close becuase of temperment and don't have enough room to rope them or crack a whip. It gives you a little more room to be able to push the cow from. Its alot of factors, both noise and the bbs that help the cattle move.

The facts do add up because people do it all the time. Ask questions so that even if you don't agree with it you understand exactly what is going on.

If you shoot a cow today it wil not take long and the BB just rusts away and there is no trace. Like a fish hook in a fish.

Wrong.

I was shot in a hunting accident years ago - shotgun - and over 7 years later I still carry those BBs. Can see and feel the ones close to the surface. Don't ever tell me they'll "rust away", and don't EVER tell me it "won't take long" for them to disappear. Mine aren't a bit smaller nowdays than they were the day I was shot. Someone sure fed you a bunch'a nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts