Sheep or Goats

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren":3vynec93 said:
the BEST goat forum is http://www.thegoatspot.net (but I might be a little biased cos I'm a mod over there lol)

I will check it out. Thanks! I've been looking for a realistic board that I can learn from, contribute my small amount of knowledge to, and participate in without being attacked due to the fact that my goats are a business rather than a hobby.

i havent had any problems iwth predators yet thankfully, but i had a stray get dumped out who i believe to have a good bit of australian shepherd in her. guess who had puppies shortly after getting dumped? so i'm planning on putting one or two of teh pups out to grow up with the goats. i'm planningon getting more goats when i get fencing ready for them. i only have 4 -- all boer or boer x. i like boers and nubians the best, but have heard good things about the kikos.

aussie_cowgirl":1v2d198s said:
cross_7":1v2d198s said:
really who eats that much goat meat ?

Goat is the most frequently consumed red meat in the world actually...

in the U.S ?
and with these numbers
Goat slaughter under federal inspection the week ending December 26 totaled 13,785 head. Goat meat imports for the week ending November 28 totaled 46 metric tons, all from Australia.
this isn't the occasional beer and bbq

msscamp":3m8v34do said:
Keren":3m8v34do said:
the BEST goat forum is http://www.thegoatspot.net (but I might be a little biased cos I'm a mod over there lol)

I will check it out. Thanks! I've been looking for a realistic board that I can learn from, contribute my small amount of knowledge to, and participate in without being attacked due to the fact that my goats are a business rather than a hobby.

I think almost all of the members on TGS are hobby owners, BUT, unlike some of the other boards (and I have a feeling I know which ones have attacked you), TGS will not think any less of you for having business goats rather than pet goats. Our motto is keep it friendly, keep it fun and we are pretty quick to jump on people who disrespect others just for having a different system.

cross_7":w2qezbno said:
aussie_cowgirl":w2qezbno said:
cross_7":w2qezbno said:
really who eats that much goat meat ?

Goat is the most frequently consumed red meat in the world actually...

in the U.S ?
and with these numbers
Goat slaughter under federal inspection the week ending December 26 totaled 13,785 head. Goat meat imports for the week ending November 28 totaled 46 metric tons, all from Australia.
this isn't the occasional beer and bbq

World =/= US

46 tonnes is not that much really, especially compared to say; weekly consumption of chicken or beef in the US. And think about the amount of immigrants that live in the US etc that are from the middle east, south america, asia and africa where goat meat is heavily consumed.

Oh here we go
The two largest markets for Australian goat meat
exports are the US and Taiwan (DAFF 2006-07).
Demand in the US is generated from the
Hispanics, the largest minority group in the US.
Found here: http://www.mla.com.au/NR/rdonlyres/D538 ... at2007.pdf

Goat is the most frequently consumed red meat in the world actually...[/quote] mexicans, theyll wear some goat meat out.[/quote]

Don't forget about all the Taliban and friends.[/quote] yep forgot about them, not any in my little corner of alabama.. nothing for em here. :cowboy:

heck i'm in west texas and the hispanics are NOT the minority here.
they bbq a goat now and then, but the majority of their bbq's are brisket.
i bet the majority of the goats raised in texas are shipped out of state and i also bet most of it is not eaten by hispanics.
i'm going quit before i offend someone.

cross_7":34rhj506 said:

heck i'm in west texas and the hispanics are NOT the minority here.
they bbq a goat now and then, but the majority of their bbq's are brisket.
i bet the majority of the goats raised in texas are shipped out of state and i also bet most of it is not eaten by hispanics.
i'm going quit before i offend someone.

Cool. MLA should have some contact details so you can let them know that their facts are wrong. It's all one big goat conspiracy... :roll:

EDIT: Ok, meat consumption weekly per capita in the USA is approximately 2.3kg. There are 300million people in the USA (300,000,000) so total tonnes of meat consumed in the US weekly is 690,000,000kg or 690,000 tonnes. And you're saying it's hard to believe that 46 tonnes of goat meat is consumed in the US weekly? Just stop and actually think about it and it's not such a big figure.

Cool. MLA should have some contact details so you can let them know that their facts are wrong. It's all one big goat conspiracy...

i didn't intend to offend you.
i'm just disputing that mla is saying the mexicans are comsuming the majority of the goats in the U.S.
not until 10-20 years ago there was not a real market for goats in the U.S, but there has always been mexicans and most are mexican americans, they were born here and eat just like any other american/texan. (which may include a cold beer and cabrito but not as a staple)
i think the demand for goat meat is due the the growth of the muslims in the U.S

cross_7":h85pk3wk said:
Cool. MLA should have some contact details so you can let them know that their facts are wrong. It's all one big goat conspiracy...

i didn't intend to offend you.
i'm just disputing that mla is saying the mexicans are comsuming the majority of the goats in the U.S.
not until 10-20 years ago there was not a real market for goats in the U.S, but there has always been mexicans and most are mexican americans, they were born here and eat just like any other american/texan. (which may include a cold beer and cabrito but not as a staple)
i think the demand for goat meat is due the the growth of the muslims in the U.S

Probably. but like in my edit, 46 tonnes isn't that much. 0.00006% of total weekly meat consumption in the US in fact. Which works out to be 80,000 people in the US eating .575kg a week. or 160,000 people eating .28kg a week etc etc. So 0.0004% of the US population (if we use the .28kg figure which would be about a meal size I suppose...) eat a 'serve' of goat meat a week.

EDIT: Ok, meat consumption weekly per capita in the USA is approximately 2.3kg. There are 300million people in the USA (300,000,000) so total tonnes of meat consumed in the US weekly is 690,000,000kg or 690,000 tonnes. And you're saying it's hard to believe that 46 tonnes of goat meat is consumed in the US weekly? Just stop and actually think about it and it's not such a big figure.
Probably. but like in my edit, 46 tonnes isn't that much. 0.00006% of total weekly meat consumption in the US in fact. Which works out to be 80,000 people in the US eating .575kg a week. or 160,000 people eating .28kg a week etc etc. So 0.0004% of the US population (if we use the .28kg figure which would be about a meal size I suppose...) eat a 'serve' of goat meat a week.

300000000 people in the U.S and 99% of them are eating beef, chicken fish and etc.
then why in the heck are the other 1% eating goat on a weekly basis ?

cross_7":muc7v4y0 said:

300000000 people in the U.S and 99% of them are eating beef, chicken fish and etc.

Jeez. I can only do so much. I don't think it's your business if people want to eat goat on a weekly basis. I think it's just as valid as eating any other meat.

aussie_cowgirl":2gmlpn5c said:
cross_7":2gmlpn5c said:

Jeez. I can only do so much. I don't think it's your business if people want to eat goat on a weekly basis. I think it's just as valid as eating any other meat.

my point is that i think most of the goat is being consumed by muslims.
why they prefer goat is a mystery to me

oh ffs, get over it.

fact is, muslims in US might be eating plenty of goat.

but there is a goat abs right across the road from me. every single goat that goes through there, goes to US in boxes, and guess what? the majority of it ends up in mexico.

its targeted to hispanics, and eaten by hispanics.

but really, who the hell cares who is eating it, as long as someone is eating it, means I have a market for my goats.

Keren":35hqerxr said:
oh ffs, get over it.

fact is, muslims in US might be eating plenty of goat.

but there is a goat abs right across the road from me. every single goat that goes through there, goes to US in boxes, and guess what? the majority of it ends up in mexico.
its targeted to hispanics, and eaten by hispanics.

but really, who the be nice cares who is eating it, as long as someone is eating it, means I have a market for my goats.

why not ship it direct to mexico ?

my understanding on the muslim religon is the goat must be butchered by a muslim and other customs so i don't think boxed goat meat is acceptable for the muslims.

it makes no sense to be to pay more for goat than beef
kinda like strapping a bomb to yourself and getting on a plane.

oh my god do a bit of research before you post crap, would you? Muslims eat halal meat - and amazingly enough - the australian goat meat that goes to US is halal - in boxes. Actually, your complete argument doesnt make any sense - because you say that muslims eat most of the goat meat in the us but then you say that muslims wont eat boxed imported meat. You had best make up your mind

Latest posts