Shed roof

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I knew the wind blew some yesterday but I had no idea. Went out to close a gate and glanced over at the feed bunk pen. A third of the loafing shed roof had blown off. It was later in the afternoon so I didn't go out to it to take a look. Over the night I kept coming up with plans on fixing it. The one thought I had was I hope I don't have to completely dismantle it. Well a close look this morning I am going to be tearing it apart and salvage what I can. There is also some significant damage to the next section. The first rafter board split lengthwise the entire board. I thought it was tied down good enough but apparently not good enough. The one good thing is there are no critters in there and won't be any in there for a long time.P7303095.JPGP7303096.JPGP7303098.JPGP7303097.JPG

Only good part is the materials are still on site. Here it blows into the neighbor's and maybe to the next neighbor's and takes out a fence or two as it disintegrates.

Only good part is the materials are still on site. Here it blows into the neighbor's and maybe to the next neighbor's and takes out a fence or two as it disintegrates.
I sit down in a hole surrounded by mountains 2,000-2,500 feet higher that are real close. We don't normally get much wind. I joke that it has to blow straight down to hit us.

IMG_0026.jpegIMG_0029.jpegIMG_0242.jpegIMG_0245.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0246.jpeg
    IMG_0246.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 4
Makes you wonder if that steel building would have survived if the concrete piers were two times larger/heavier and the building was completely enclosed with tightly sealed metal doors. The tin sheets stayed put on the framing...that part was good...even appears salvageable in framed-sections for re-use. What are your next steps...will you straighten out and rebuild with those pieces or did insurance cover it all?

Insurance paid 42k on it. I salvaged some of the materials, the metal siding is I think called R panels.

If the footers had of been larger and the front enclosed it would have sure helped and possibly saved it. What was amazing was absolutely nothing inside the barn was touched nor that stack of R Panels behind the barn. Had a paint brush and almost empty can of WD 40 sitting on top of my square baler, it wasn't even blown off. That dump truck I had backed in the barn was within 2 foot of the wall with one concrete pier to the right of the front bumper and another 2 foot to the right rear of the dump bed. The Tornado picked the whole barn straight up pulling up all 4 piers on the side of the barn to the right of the truck. Along with most of the other piers all the way around the barn walls. Carried the whole barn about 75 foot crossing a 6 foot barbed wire fence just barley pushing the top of the fence over a little bit in one spot. Then flipping the whole thing up side down.

But it was actually a tornado that eventually touched down 2 miles further from my barn. And it took the top off a 50 x 100 foot pole barn and done a lot of damage to a 50 x 75 foot red Iron metal Machine shop that did have very big concrete footers. And the I-beams purloins were a lot heavier grade than my shop. It still collapsed part off the machine shop ripped the siding and roof off of it. It looked as bad as my barn did except it left it in a pile instead of picking it straight up and flipping it like mine.

The owner of the Machine shop had his house 50 yards on one side of the shop. It ripped mostly shingles and decking off the roof. And he said when he was checking for damage inside the attic he kept seeing lots of 2x4's that he didn't know where they had came from until he saw holes of light on the end gables of his house where the tornado had shot them threw the wood gables into his attic.

His 80 year old Mother lived on the other side about 50 yards of the Machine shop and the tornado didn't touch a thing on her house or yard. She was asleep when he went to check on her.

Latest posts