Barn roof coatings?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
What is a good roof coating for a metal roof?

Looked at this one:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-Henry-555-Premium-Fibered-Aluminum-Reflective-Roof-Coating-4-75-Gallon-HE555019/100094951

Soy-zink is the best stuff I know of. It's terribly expensive, but you get what you pay for. We have it on a grain bin and it's probably been on there over ten years. Still looks like new.

Soy zinc is a paint sold by FS, so it might not be called that in your area, but a soy oil based zinc roof coat will do the same thing. I believe I paid 120 a bucket from FS some years ago. It's pretty thick stuff.

Anyone ever use any of the white elastomeric coatings? Got a pole barn with a white roof that has never had anything on it.
Had a guy quote $1100 for doing it on a 24x30 building, only one quote but most suggest 2.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-Henry-587-Dura-Brite-100-Acrylic-Reflective-Elastomeric-White-Roof-Coating-4-75-Gallon-HE587871/202091022

I painted for FS in Illinois for about 5 summers and we painted a lot of bins and barns (and roofs) with soy zinc. It was the best paint product I ever saw but I think people made a few mistakes. It does not peel off but if a topcoat of another color is applied it might (like 'normal' paints do) then not possible to go back to soy zinc cause the other paint would take it off when peeling. I suggested just go with the zinc and when it eventually wore out, put another coat on! Only apply to zinc coated bldgs. Slow to dry but one roof was just painted and a big rain came up so expected the job to be a do-over---next day checked and it looked great, didn't wash off! Not sure where to find it anymore. Expensive and only came in 1 gallon containers cause a gallon weighed like over 50 lb----5 gallon too heavy to lift!

Anyone ever use any of the white elastomeric coatings? Got a pole barn with a white roof that has never had anything on it.
Had a guy quote $1100 for doing it on a 24x30 building, only one quote but most suggest 2.

I have used the white fiber elastomeric from Lowes a few times... we did it on a rolled roof mobile home after sweping. It lasts for 3-5 years and had to be done again due to thin spots. 2x Lasted about 10 years all together. Was getting to old to do roof work (unsteady legs) so we had another metal roof installed. A 5 gal bucket was like $100. Rolled it on with a paint roller. Took a couple hours but lasted for years.... If I was younger I would have done it a 3rd time. $300 for coating, or $6500 for a new roof.